Found Deceased GA - Randy Johnston, 18, Catoosa County, 2005

babydust2004

Reaction score
He is also know as Charles Johnston.this is one county over from me.the news here is not covering it much.My husband is not home so I am not able to search at this time,but please everyone be on the lookout for this person.
http://www.newschannel9.com/news_missing.shtml

Catoosa County Teen Missing

Family and friends of a missing Catoosa County teenager are asking for your help. Randy Johnston went for a run Saturday night and never came back.
His parents filed a missing person's report Saturday and they've spent hours each day looking for him. Sheriff's deputies say teens running away isn't something new and his parents and coaches admit Randy's had problems in the past, but nothing like this.

"We've had issues that we've had to deal with before, but when I've dealt with those issues he always said 'I understand coach'," Ringgold Wrestling Coach Phil Daniel said. Johnston wrestled at Ringgold High School for a couple of years.

Daniel says he's seen this before, kids running away for a while. Those all ended well and he hopes this one will too. If you know any information contact Catoosa County Sheriff Deputy Mike Tinker at (706) 935-2424.

Contact Reporter Mark Bruce at mbruce@wrcbtv.com

http://newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=1582&template=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%M+%e,%Y

Catoosa Teen Still Missing
Angela Lee
July 13,2005
The search for a missing Catoosa County, Georgia teenager is getting more intense.
18-year-old, Randy Johnston hasn't been seen since Saturday when he told his step-mom he was going out for an evening jog.
As you can imagine, his family just wants him safe and sound at home.
Randy's dad and step-mom are beside themselves with worry.
Right now they're hoping for the best but can't eliminate the very worst.

His dad Randy Johnston Senior says, the running shoes his son typically uses are still there. Randy's keys and cell phone are also left behind. His dad adds, “He's always home by eleven o'clock and it's just really strange that he was going running and the best we can see, that's what he left.”
His dad began searching Saturday night at eleven. He's been searching ever since.
A thousand reasons to why his son might leave without telling anyone race through his mind. Randy's dad says his son faces plenty of pressure as he talks about college and the future. He wonders if his son is facing danger or even worse, become the undiscovered victim of a hit and run.
“We haven't been able to find any sign of him or that maybe somewhere he's been abducted.”
Randy typically ran the hills of his neighborhood's streets..and if not there, he'd run trails near his home.
Wednesday, the Catoosa County Sheriff's Department stepped up the search.
Pulling together search crews and using canine units to go out into wooded trails near the family's home to search for Randy.
For now, it's a waiting game for Randy's family.
Randy Sr. says, “We just want him to know that we love him and to come home and to call us and let us know.”
As the clock ticks, everyone is growing more and more concerned.
Randy's wrestling coach, Phil Daniel says, the team is worried.
Coach Daniel adds, not knowing Randy's okay, leaves a big hole in his stomach.
Coach Daniel says, “If he hears it...He can call me. He knows my number and I'll make sure I'll do whatever I can to make sure everything is okay.”
If you have seen 18-year-old Randy Johnston the Catoosa County Sheriff's Department wants to hear from you.

The link above now reads: Body Found

Located in Equestrian Heights, Tunnel Hill, Georgia. A Catoosa County Deputy Sheriff located the body while working with a Ground Search and Rescue Team working in an attempt to locate a missing person.

Sheriff Phil Summers stated that "although a positive identification has not been made, we do anticipate that the discovery this morning is the missing person in which we have been searching."

http://newschannel9.com/engine.pl?station=wtvc&id=1602&template=breakout_story1.shtml&dateformat=%M+%e,%Y

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Investigators Find Body that Could be Missing Teen [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jessica Morris[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 14,2005[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is a breakthrough in the case of a Catoosa County, Georgia teen who's been missing since Saturday night.

Investigators say they found a body Thursday morning, and they believe it's 18-year-old Randy Johnston.

“I just wanna know what happened to him really? If it is foul play, we just want to know why, because he's never been in any trouble,” said Tony Carter, Johnston's step-grandfather.

When the 18-year-old Ringgold High School student went jogging Saturday evening, they had no way of knowing he might never return.

“My daughter called Sunday morning and told me that Randy was missing, he had gone for a run, that he had stuck his head in the door while she was watching TV and said, Mom, I'm going for a run, and she said okay,” recalled Carter.

After four-and-a-half days of searching, a Catoosa County Sheriff deputy found a dead body.

According to Sheriff Summers, they found the body in a wooded area about one mile from Johnston's home. They also found something else.

“We did not find signs of foul play. However, I do have to admit that we have some unusual circumstances to this case,” said Sheriff Summers.

He said fire was involved.

“Looked like there was a fire around in the area, and maybe, it looked like that he had some ashes or soot on the bottom of his feet,” said Carter.

Johnston's grandfather said he can't imagine what could've happened.

“He had the typical teenage problems, and there had been some issues, but nothing serious, nothing unusual than any other teenager has.”

Sheriff Summers said his department will handle the case as a homicide investigation until evidence proves otherwise.

They sent the body to the Georgia Crime Lab for an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.
[/font]

babydust2004 said:
According to Sheriff Summers, they found the body in a wooded area about one mile from Johnston's home. They also found something else.

“We did not find signs of foul play. However, I do have to admit that we have some unusual circumstances to this case,” said Sheriff Summers.

He said fire was involved.

“Looked like there was a fire around in the area, and maybe, it looked like that he had some ashes or soot on the bottom of his feet,” said Carter.
[/size][/font]

Sheriff is saying no foul play, but there was a fire. Fire is a very unusual way to commit suicide. Ashes or soot on the bottom of his feet Not his shoes but his feet? Very odd.

Body found believed to be missing Ringgold High student

07/15/05
Staff report

RINGGOLD, GA ? Catoosa County deputy today found the body of a young white male, believed to be Ringgold High wrestler Randy Johnston, in a wooded area in the Equestrian Heights subdivision, Sheriff Phil Summers said.

Johnston, 18, was last seen Saturday when he told his mother he was going for a run. When Johnston, who lives in the subdivision, didn?t return that night the family filed a missing person report with the Sheriff?s Department.

?Although a positive identification has not been made, we do anticipate that the discovery this morning is the missing person,? Summers said.

Because the cause of death is not visually discernable, the body will be transported to the Georgia Crime Laboratory in Atlanta for an autopsy, Summers said.

The Sheriff?s Department has not ruled out foul play and the case is being treated as a homicide investigation he said.

Funeral arrangements have not been made at this time.
http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/680/public/news646755.html

Just read an article that says they think it may have been a possible lightening strike. This would explain the soot and ashes on his feet. It does seem likely, but lightening is sorta like a gun shot. It has an entrance wound (smaller wound) and an exit wound (larger)... but it travels differently... from the ones I have seen, they tended to follow a path along the lymph nodes and moist places... had a family of five once that were camping, they hid in their tent on a mattress with metal springs in it... four had exit wounds around the groin area and one, a 12 month old... had exit wounds on his feet and rectum. The charge through his body melted his diaper and left singe marks on his toes. Same for the other two boys, melted and "tattooed" the color of their t-shirts on their chests, and left singe marks on their chest, groin, and various other joints.

here is the article:

RINGGOLD -- A Catoosa County deputy last Thursday found the body of Ringgold High wrestler Randy Johnston in a wooded area in the Equestrian Heights subdivision.

“We do not suspect foul play at this point, but the investigation is still under way,” Catoosa County coroner Vanita Hullander said Monday.

“Right now, we’re looking into a possible cause of death by lightning or maybe some of the power lines in the area — we just don’t know yet.”

Johnston, 18, was last seen Saturday, July 9, when he told his mother he was going for a run. When Johnston, who lives in the subdivision, didn’t return that night, the family filed a missing person report with the Sheriff’s Department. It is believed that Johnston died on the evening of his disappearance between 7 and 9 p.m.

Officials hope to have answers in the next week.

Catoosa County Sheriff Phil Summers echoed Hullander’s comments.

“We’re awaiting official determination (of cause of death) from the crime lab, but we hope to know something soon,” he said. “We don’t anticipate the discovery of any foul play.” “I desperately want to give this family some answers,” said Hullander. “It’s just going to take some time.”

I know this thread is so, so old but Google turned up nothing- was his cause of death ruled as a lightening strike? Thank you

Gosh, I don't know batgirl! I had never read about Randy's death until you bumped this thread - thanks for doing that. How sad to go out running and possibly get struck by lightening. I googled too but couldn't find anything.....not even a photo as all the links are old. RIP Randy. So sad to die so young.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back