ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may or may not be applicable. The differences here are LE being forthright & disclosing information to the families.. (In the one case, maybe it's because Rachel Hoffman was a girl & kept her boyfriend "in the loop" of what was going on... LE were forced to admit to it.).

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/09/03/the-throwaways

No one need chastise me or tell me this theory of Tom being a Confidential Informant is wrong. I realize there are some flaws in it. I'm not sure I think it's plausible. But it's worth thinking about.

Also to those of you parents reading this: make sure to warn your children about this. NEVER, EVER agree to work undercover without speaking to an attorney. No matter how much trouble you are in.. It's better than winding up dead.

I believe it is a myth that LE is forthright with and keep the immediate family abreast of details about the investigations. They may give generalizations like "leads are coming in" or we "have a POI in mind" but that's it. Family and close friend relationships are the first that are looked at, we all know that. Should a POI be a close friend LE does not want to discuss that with family for fear that the family may want to take justice in their own hands or question a POI on their own, as it could destroy progress.

Also an investigation may reveal things that a family is unaware of that may harm the memory or reputation of the loved one. Unless it is pertinent in the end to the justice for the victim, there is no reason to disclose it to the family. In regard to a laptop. There are reasons for "privacy" settings and such while we are alive. Parents know full well that teenage kids do not want then reading their e-mails and private thoughts. It is more sacred than a diary, IMO. So for LE to rush to give an 18 year old (now an adult) laptop to the family may be more harmful than helpful. In the end, if and when a POI is exposed LE may have to work backward from items in that laptop. If that laptop leaves LE custody now the whole chain of custody comes into play. {BTW in that case the killer was not anywhere on any radar for the case. He got busted at a checkpoint in CA for possession of a silencer which is a felony. They got his prints and DNA then. It became a match to the triple homicide. It was happenstance he got busted, and dedicated investigators that insisted on the DNA searches.}

In a triple homicide case in San Diego it progressed much like this case. After 6 months and a suspect was arrested the search warrants were revealed, the family had to learn that they themselves, their bank records, cell phones and family dynamics had been investigated during that time. Also they found that all three were involved in heavy use of heroin. My point is during the investigation had it been possible the family was not privy to and not harmed by the investigation until it became integral to it.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...dere-Ilona-Flint-(22)-San-Diego-23-Dec-2013-3

JMO's

It has been mentioned on this thread before, that for the most part, family and friends have been very quiet. I am not trying to insinuate what anyone else’s reason(s) for that might or should be.
My opinion only: I read through this article again today. As I read it, I tried to imagine reading it from a loved one’s standpoint, and what this article might then mean or say to me. What stands out to me is that there is an inference that this crime occurred as a result of unsafe practices and lack of awareness, rather than due to the hands of a murderer. And that, without those factors, no need to be fearful because Fargo is actually safe and always has been otherwise. It sounds very blaming of the victim, and oxymoronic to me.
I clearly understand that this wordage is standard protocol, and that this is acceptable in our society due to many factors.
I am ashamed of what we have learned to accept.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26624807/breaking-bearson-death-confirmed-as-homicide
“Fargo Police tell Valley News Live they cannot comment on specifics of the case, but they feel there is no threat to the community at this time. Lt. Joel Vettel says there is no reason to believe people should be living in fear, and Fargo is still a safe place to live.
Vettel did say there is a concern after these events. He realizes the first reaction for people might be shock and alarm. Adding people should have a heightened awareness.
Both departments agree people should look out for their own safety.”

It has been mentioned on this thread before, that for the most part, family and friends have been very quiet. I am not trying to insinuate what anyone else’s reason(s) for that might or should be.
My opinion only: I read through this article again today. As I read it, I tried to imagine reading it from a loved one’s standpoint, and what this article might then mean or say to me. What stands out to me is that there is an inference that this crime occurred as a result of unsafe practices and lack of awareness, rather than due to the hands of a murderer. And that, without those factors, no need to be fearful because Fargo is actually safe and always has been otherwise. It sounds very blaming of the victim, and oxymoronic to me.
I clearly understand that this wordage is standard protocol, and that this is acceptable in our society due to many factors.
I am ashamed of what we have learned to accept.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26624807/breaking-bearson-death-confirmed-as-homicide
“Fargo Police tell Valley News Live they cannot comment on specifics of the case, but they feel there is no threat to the community at this time. Lt. Joel Vettel says there is no reason to believe people should be living in fear, and Fargo is still a safe place to live.
Vettel did say there is a concern after these events. He realizes the first reaction for people might be shock and alarm. Adding people should have a heightened awareness.
Both departments agree people should look out for their own safety.”

(BBM).

Ya know, I have to say it, this is an excellent point. By the very proclamation by police that the city of Fargo is a safe place, it certainly could be read to say then that, well, the town is safe so the kid must have done something wrong.

I must admit, That right there is a twist I hadn't considered. Words are just so much more important than I had ever realized when I was young.

Here since the beginning. The fact that the family is so quiet is concerning especially so far out. The recent theories or thoughts shared here almost have to carry some weight.

Was it a fight club gone wrong? Was he using drugs or alcohol and fell down the stairs? The homicidal violence thing throws a loop...the family has to know more than we do and they're quiet.

People - some of this is getting a little "Oliver Stoneish".

I come to this site every day hoping to hear the news that the case is nearing resolution. I'm consistently disappointed like all of you.

But i just refuse to believe the police are not being tactical, professional, and thorough in investigating this.

The posts are interesting but i just cannot believe anything nefarious is going on in regards to the LE efforts. Does anyone really believe they're suppressing a supposed news video or even could if they wanted to?

Also, I tend to agree with the poster who said we need to back off of family and friends and they're reactions to the tragedy they are living. Afterall, we seriously don't know a thing about what is really going on with them. Has it come to arriving at conclusions about a persons motives and integrity and guilt or innocence solely based on social media posts? Or lack of them?

I don't intend to quash discussion - this is all interesting - but let's be realistic. Us outsiders are getting crumbs and trying to make a cake out of it.

I know we all want justice for Tom. Let's hope we get it no matter how long it takes....which honestly....may be a ways off.

Thanks for listening.

May God Bless your Soul Thomas Bearson, and hold you and those that love you forever in His arms. Amen.
Other than that, tonight I'm silent.

One last thing. It occurs to me that the long wait for autopsy results are likely due to testing for something out of the ordinary. Would bath salts-synthetic marijuana qualify? I know synth drugs are a big problem in this part of the world and can cause a user to do some very irrational things. I'm guessing here of course but are these routinely tested for since these "drugs" are newer to the scene? If not, perhaps the tests take longer having been around for a relatively short time.

Its just one thought. There could be a hundred reasons that make perfect sense in causing a delay. And my hope is this is a formality that once resolved will lead directly to an arrest.

I come to this site every day hoping to hear the news that the case is nearing resolution. I'm consistently disappointed like all of you.

But i just refuse to believe the police are not being tactical, professional, and thorough in investigating this.

The posts are interesting but i just cannot believe anything nefarious is going on in regards to the LE efforts. Does anyone really believe they're suppressing a supposed news video or even could if they wanted to?

Also, I tend to agree with the poster who said we need to back off of family and friends and they're reactions to the tragedy they are living. Afterall, we seriously don't know a thing about what is really going on with them. Has it come to arriving at conclusions about a persons motives and integrity and guilt or innocence solely based on social media posts? Or lack of them?

I don't intend to quash discussion - this is all interesting - but let's be realistic. Us outsiders are getting crumbs and trying to make a cake out of it.

I know we all want justice for Tom. Let's hope we get it no matter how long it takes....which honestly....may be a ways off.

Thanks for listening.

I just have a general question about the supposed video of him at the dorm and the discussion surrounding it. What are you guys getting at? What is the importance of the video or whether it exists? Just curious. I can't really tell if you guys are trying to point to a cover-up either by the university or police department, if you think the backpack is important, or if it is something else altogether. Could anyone enlighten me on this?

Would like to add that I don't see the backpack as being important to the case. It wasn't too long ago that I graduated from college and it was very common for students to carry around a backpack on the weekends. When I was going to house parties with my friends we would often have at least one in our group carrying a backpack with our beer or liquor/mixer of choice for the weekend. It's possible he was carrying drug paraphanelia in the backpack as well, but even that isn't out of the ordinary. College students drink before they are 21 and/or smoke a little weed. Neither of those things are out of the ordinary so I don't think the backpack itself is relevant in determining what happened to TB that night.

Thanks for listening.
(BBM).
This is my most favorite of all lines.

One last thing. It occurs to me that the long wait for autopsy results are likely due to testing for something out of the ordinary. Would bath salts-synthetic marijuana qualify? I know synth drugs are a big problem in this part of the world and can cause a user to do some very irrational things. I'm guessing here of course but are these routinely tested for since these "drugs" are newer to the scene? If not, perhaps the tests take longer having been around for a relatively short time.

Its just one thought. There could be a hundred reasons that make perfect sense in causing a delay. And my hope is this is a formality that once resolved will lead directly to an arrest.

I was told by an acquaintance that is a parole officer, that testing for the synthetic drugs can be routinely done now, from a urine sample, and I understood that results take no longer than for other drugs.

I just have a general question about the supposed video of him at the dorm and the discussion surrounding it. What are you guys getting at? What is the importance of the video or whether it exists? Just curious. I can't really tell if you guys are trying to point to a cover-up either by the university or police department, if you think the backpack is important, or if it is something else altogether. Could anyone enlighten me on this?

Would like to add that I don't see the backpack as being important to the case. It wasn't too long ago that I graduated from college and it was very common for students to carry around a backpack on the weekends. When I was going to house parties with my friends we would often have at least one in our group carrying a backpack with our beer or liquor/mixer of choice for the weekend. It's possible he was carrying drug paraphanelia in the backpack as well, but even that isn't out of the ordinary. College students drink before they are 21 and/or smoke a little weed. Neither of those things are out of the ordinary so I don't think the backpack itself is relevant in determining what happened to TB that night.

I believe that anything could potentially be vital to a case. It is common for people to wear shoes, and carry cell phones, students with backpacks or not, to take a particular or habitual route to a particular destination, last known location, usual habits (e.g. always showering before leaving home), students to party or not, etc.
Sometimes seemingly usual things mean nothing, and sometimes they can be indicative and offer an important clue.
I find it interesting that two people believe they seen a video of TB, that now seemingly may or may not exist. To me, the article does not exactly say "it does NOT exist". I do not know if that is indicative of anything, but I reserve the consideration that it very well might mean something somehow.

I would like to imagine that in the course of these three threads (and who knows how many more to come) that someone may have stumbled upon something resembling the truth in this case. As ProudPapa so fondly put it "getting crumbs and trying to make a cake out of it" (I love that by the way! :clap: ), so it is also possible that no one has hit the mark at all. Obviously, at this juncture, we are ALL just putting our minds together, and hoping for justice for TB in the only way we have available to us. It reminds me of the blindfolded pin the tail on the donkey. Hopefully, justice will prevail (it certainly has in SOME other cases), and perhaps, just perhaps, one or more here will find that their critical thinking wasn't far off (despite the crumbs).

What about DNA comparisons? Isn't there a data base on the Federal level where DNA comparisons are made?

The idea is that the video would remind us "dullards" too much about the Andrew Sadek case. There is no doubt in anyone's minds (well... Maybe a few people) that Andrew's disappearance and subsequent death investigations have been bungled from the beginning. There is a growing level of outrage about it.

If people started questioning the safety of North Dakota colleges....if people start putting the two deaths together as though they are involved in some way....

I mean.. Two deaths in four months - both UNSOLVED? It can start to get a little spooky.

That's WHY I believe they aren't showing the video of Tom leaving the dorm with his backpack on. Honestly.. I seriously doubt they are related. But it's still scary.

Btw... Thank you PROUD PAPA & CANTNOTCARE for your posts today... I agree with all of your sentiments & I agree that, at times, small things get blown out of proportion. I have been guilty of that.

I am justifiably leery of the LE's transparency and I realize it clouds my judgment. I think most of the people here understand the reasons why and they also take my mistrust of LE with a grain of salt. I apologize for being skeptical of LE.. I really do.

It takes all kinds of us here at WS.

Anyways.. I appreciate everyone's point of view. I also appreciate that we are all in search of the same thing.. Justice for Tom & peace for the Bearson family & friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88