GUILTY CA - Dennis McKeown for child sexual abuse, La Mesa, 2005

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
An elementary school principal and minister accused of repeatedly molesting a young male relative pleaded innocent Tuesday to nine counts of committing a lewd act on a child under 14.

Dennis M. McKeown, 41, was taken into custody Friday morning as he was leaving his home on Baltimore Drive in La Mesa to go to work, according to La Mesa police Lt. Allen White. McKeown, head administrator for King/Chavez Academy of Excellence Charter School in San Diego, allegedly engaged in sex acts with the boy during family visits to the defendant's house in late 2002 and early 2003, White said.

The child reported the alleged crimes to his mother, who contacted authorities last month.

Deputy District Attorney Kurt Mechals said the boy was molested about 10 times. The defendant allegedly made admissions that there were only "two or three" incidents of molestation, the prosecutor said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/07/13/news/sandiego/19_32_337_12_05.txt

In checking out some older cases, I found an update on this one. What a slap in the face to all vodka drinkers:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051007/news_2m7mckeown.html

Ex-principal admits in court to molesting boy at his home
Oct. 7, 2005

"A former administrator of a Barrio Logan charter school admitted in Superior Court yesterday that he sexually molested a boy that he baby-sat over a two-year period. Dennis Michael McKeown, 42, pleaded guilty to three counts of committing lewd acts on a child under the age of 14. "He admitted everything the boy said happened..."

and

Calling McKeown's actions "egregious," [Prosecutor Kurt] Mechals said "it wasn't just touching; it was substantial sexual conduct...."

and

"...McKeown faces a maximum of 12 years in prison, Mechals said. Had McKeown gone to trial and been convicted of all charges, he would have faced up to 24 years in prison..."

and

"....A former principal of King-Chavez Academy of Excellence in Barrio Logan, McKeown is chief executive officer of the private corporation that runs the school. Mechals said McKeown admitted that he molested the boy on several occasions while baby-sitting him in McKeown's La Mesa home. When confronted by the boy's mother, McKeown blamed the incidents on alcohol abuse, Mechals said. He said McKeown told the mother, "This must have happened during the period when I was drinking vodka straight out of the freezer."

More at link (plus photo)

And the sentence:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051201/news_1m1mckeown.html

Molesting boy brings 10-year term
Dec. 1, 2005

"A former administrator of a Barrio Logan charter school was sentenced to 10 years in prison yesterday for sexually molesting a boy he baby-sat over a two-year period. Dennis Michael McKeown did not make a statement in Superior Court yesterday, but he said in an Oct. 25 letter to probation officials that "not a day goes by that I am not sorry for my actions." "I am filled with disgust and self-loathing as well as shame and humility...."

and

"..."The callousness, the selfishness, the indifference demonstrated by these acts is reprehensible," the judge said. He said McKeown "turned this child into his personal sex toy."

McKeown is a former principal of King-Chavez Academy of Excellence in Barrio Logan and was chief executive officer of the corporation that runs the school when arrested in July. His background and history of working with children should have made him aware of the effect his acts would have on the child..."

and

"...Prosecutor Kurt Mechals told the judge that although McKeown admitted molesting the boy three times, the boy remembers at least 10 incidents. Defense attorney John Phillips urged the judge to show leniency in part because of the good deeds McKeown did in developing the charter school. "Under his leadership, the charter school excelled beyond everyone's imagination," Phillips said. Phillips said 27 people were in the courtroom in a show of support for McKeown, including his former wife and the man who took over as the school's chief executive officer...."

and

"....In a June 27 telephone call to the boy's mother secretly recorded by La Mesa police, McKeown said, "I don't have a kid thing. I was drunk, and I think it just happened."

More at link

Yeah....these things just happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee