GUILTY VA - Davion Mutts, 5, Hampton, 13 July 2005

fourboys

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelsmissing.com
Hampton Officials Search for Missing 5-Year Old

July 14, 2005

Hampton authorities are looking for a missing 5-year-old boy, and say they are investigating the case as both a missing persons report and a crime scene.

Davion Mutts was last seen around 9:00pm Wednesday in the 100 block of Dooley Street. That's in the area of Lincoln Street and Pembroke Avenue.

Mutts is a black male with closely cut hair. According to authorities, he was wearing only a diaper.

Mutts was spending the summer with his aunt at a residence on Dooley Street. He had been at the location since April. Officials say Davion is from New Jersey.

WAVY News 10 has learned the aunt was a work Wednesday night and her boyfriend was watching Mutts. Around 9:00pm, when he noticed the boy was missing, he phoned the aunt. She returned home and the two began looking for Davion.

After near four hours of looking with no success, the pair contacted police just before 1:00am Thursday.

Investigators believe the boy's hands are severely burned, perhaps even blistered, and that he is in need of medical attention. They say information was obtained indicating the Davion's hands were in hot liquid within the past 48 hours.

Davion's mother, Latoria Mitchell, also told WAVY News 10 that her son suffers from asthma.

More than 50 officers from Hampton and nearby jurisdictions are involved in the search, using both dogs and helicopters.

Anyone with information on Mutts' whereabouts is asked to call the Crimeline at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.

Photos:
http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3593540

5-year-old boy- he was wearing only a diaper.

Investigators believe the boy's hands are severely burned, perhaps even blistered, and that he is in need of medical attention. They say information was obtained indicating the Davion's hands were in hot liquid within the past 48 hours.

He is 5 years old and wearing a diaper?????

I hope LE is questioning that boyfriend, intensely.

Something is really wrong here.....the boyfriend didn't notice that the little guy wasn't around until 9:00 at night!!!! His hands had been in hot liquid within the last 24 hours and are blistered and in need of medical attention!!!!
Why is this 4-5 yr old still wearing a diaper....was he not potty trained or was it a form of punishment for something he did like wet his pants????

The aunts boyfriend was babysitting?? I hope that my icky feeling about this little guy's disappearance is wrong.

Something is very wrong here. The fact they waited 4 hours and didn't call police until 1 am??? Are you kidding me? He's only 5. And his hands were burned? I wonder if he went to the hospital for the burns, or family is just telling them his hands had been burned? Unbelievable how often we hear of such horror stories with children.

I hope they are grilling the heck out of that boyfriend.

Something stinks with this case....I had a sinking feeling in my stomach just reading about it. I don't think this 5 yr old just disappeared:(

Manhunt for missing Hampton boy
The child was last seen Wednesday night and cops aren't sure if he wandered off or if a crime is involved.

BY MONIQUE ANGLE
Published July 15, 2005

HAMPTON -- In hot and humid weather Thursday, police and neighbors searched under brush, behind buildings and in garbage bins looking for an injured, asthmatic and shoeless 5-year-old boy who has been missing since Wednesday evening.

Davion Mutts, last seen at about 9 p.m. Wednesday, was wearing just a diaper when he disappeared from his aunt's Dooley Street home in the West Hampton section of the city. Police said they have learned that in the two days before he disappeared, Davion's hands were scalded with a hot liquid, causing severe burns and blisters.

It is unclear how the boy's hands were injured, but police said Davion has not received medical attention for his injuries. Police Chief Charles "Chuck" Jordan declined to comment on how the division learned about the boy's burns.

His aunt's boyfriend was watching Davion while his aunt was at work Wednesday evening, police said. Davion's grandmother in New Jersey has custody of the boy, and police said Davion moved to Hampton in April to live with his aunt for the summer.

The boyfriend told police he noticed a door was ajar around 9 p.m. and realized the boy was missing. The couple, whom police have declined to identify, then searched for the boy in the neighborhood for about four hours before going to the Hampton police station. Davion was reported missing at about 1 a.m. Thursday, said Hampton police spokesman Cpl. James West.

Police immediately began searching the neighborhood and knocking on doors. Firefighters used night vision goggles to try to track the boy's heat signature, while search and rescue dogs tried to hunt the boy's scent, West said. Virginia Beach police volunteered their helicopter to search the scene, and later, a local resident used a private helicopter to try to locate the boy.

Detectives also searched the boy's home on Dooley Street and collected evidence.

"This could be a case where the child has wandered off," Jordan said.

But, the report that the child had severe burns on his hands prompted police to also investigate the case as a possible crime.

No criminal charges were filed on Thursday.

The boy's mother, Latoria Mitchell, arrived at the scene Thursday evening, upset by the day's events. "The only thing I want is for him to come home safe," Mitchell told WAVY-TV10.

After hearing of the boy's disappearance, neighbors and Hampton residents also joined in the search, passing out fliers with the boy's picture, although the photo provided by the boy's family showed Davion when he was 2 years old. In the photo, Davion has an Afro-style haircut, which has since been cut short.

At 4:30 a.m., Terri Delk and Mary Johnson, who both live in houses on Maplewood Street around the corner, awoke when they heard police knocking at their door. Both got up and got dressed and started walking through the neighborhood, looking behind buildings and in dark corners.

Neither knew the child. But his disappearance shook both of them.

"That's somebody's child," Johnson said. "That could have been my child."

Delk said she'd been praying all day for a miracle, hoping the boy would be found.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/dp-51...ews-local-final

Police treat case of missing boy as a crime

July 15, 2005

HAMPTON, Va. Hampton police were searching for a five-year-old boy said to have disappeared from a relative's home Wednesday night -- wearing only a diaper.

Police say Davion Mutts is from New Jersey and has been staying with his aunt since April. Authorities say she was at work Wednesday night and her boyfriend was watching Davion when he disappeared. They reported him missing early Thursday morning.

Authorities have NOT released the names of the couple.

Police said they have learned that in the two days before he disappeared, Davion's hands were scalded with a hot liquid, causing severe burns and blisters. It's unclear how the boy's hands were injured. Davion also suffers from asthma.

Police Chief Charles "Chuck" Jordan says the boy could have wandered off. Police detectives searched the boy's home and collected evidence.

Searchers have used dogs, night vision goggles and a helicopter to look for the boy.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3598151

fourboys said:
It is unclear how the boy's hands were injured, but police said Davion has not received medical attention for his injuries.

Ok, I could be reading into this, but I get the feeling from this that:

- Whomever should have been caring for Davion instead killed him, and burned his hands sometime in the course of that

- Once Davion died, they disposed of him, and knew the burns couldn't be explained away as something that happens when a mysterious stranger snatches a child

- So they were honest about this part of Davion's disappearance, to appear blameless when they find his body

I'm sorry. I know I could be waaaaay off, and I hope to God I am, but this just sounds awful to me....

Tip focuses search for missing Hampton boy
The child was last seen Wednesday night
and police aren't sure if he wandered off or if a crime is involved.

BY WAVY-TV 10 and MONIQUE ANGLE
July 15, 2005,

HAMPTON -- Hampton authorities continued their search for a missing 5-year-old boy this morning, focusing on an area around Prince George Drive and Prince Phillip Street near Hampton High School.

Officials say they received a tip just after 10 a.m. today that a body may be near the Powhatan Parkway crosswalk. According to WAVY TV-10 reports, police have not found the boy's body but were organizing a grid search of the area.

On Thursday, police and neighbors searched under brush, behind buildings and in garbage bins looking for Davion Mutts, described as injured, asthmatic and shoeless.

Davion, last seen at about 9 p.m. Wednesday, was wearing just a diaper when he disappeared from his aunt's Dooley Street home in the West Hampton section of the city. Police said they have learned that in the two days before he disappeared, Davion's hands were scalded with a hot liquid, causing severe burns and blisters.

It is unclear how the boy's hands were injured, but police said Davion has not received medical attention for his injuries. Police Chief Charles "Chuck" Jordan declined to comment on how the division learned about the boy's burns.

His aunt's boyfriend was watching Davion while his aunt was at work Wednesday evening, police said. Davion's grandmother in New Jersey has custody of the boy, and police said Davion moved to Hampton in April to live with his aunt for the summer.

The boyfriend told police he noticed a door was ajar around 9 p.m. and realized the boy was missing. The couple, whom police have declined to identify, then searched for the boy in the neighborhood for about four hours before going to the Hampton police station. Davion was reported missing at about 1 a.m. Thursday, said Hampton police spokesman Cpl. James West.

Police immediately began searching the neighborhood and knocking on doors. Firefighters used night vision goggles to try to track the boy's heat signature, while search and rescue dogs tried to hunt the boy's scent, West said. Virginia Beach police volunteered their helicopter to search the scene, and later, a local resident used a private helicopter to try to locate the boy.

Detectives also searched the boy's home on Dooley Street and collected evidence.

"This could be a case where the child has wandered off," Jordan said.

But, the report that the child had severe burns on his hands prompted police to also investigate the case as a possible crime.

No criminal charges were filed on Thursday.

The boy's mother, Latoria Mitchell, arrived at the scene Thursday evening, upset by the day's events. "The only thing I want is for him to come home safe," Mitchell told WAVY-TV 10.

After hearing of the boy's disappearance, neighbors and Hampton residents also joined in the search, passing out fliers with the boy's picture, although the photo provided by the boy's family showed Davion when he was 2 years old. In the photo, Davion has an Afro-style haircut, which has since been cut short.

At 4:30 a.m., Terri Delk and Mary Johnson, who both live in houses on Maplewood Street around the corner, awoke when they heard police knocking at their door. Both got up and got dressed and started walking through the neighborhood, looking behind buildings and in dark corners.

Neither knew the child. But his disappearance shook both of them.

"That's somebody's child," Johnson said. "That could have been my child."

Delk said she'd been praying all day for a miracle, hoping the boy would be found.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-51169sy0jul15,0,7638502.story?coll=dp-headlines-topnews

Unfortunately, it looks like they may have found this poor child's body.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stories/wvec_local_071505_child's_body_found.ab24f05c.html

A child was found dead in a wooded area in Hampton Friday afternoon.

M_IMAGE.1047004b7dd.93.88.fa.7c.a80b1bd1.jpg

Davion Mutts

Police believe the child is four-year-old Davion Mutts, who has been missing since Wednesday night in Hampton.

Mutts disappeared about 9:00 p.m. from his aunt’s home at 101-B Dooley Street. Her boyfriend was watching him while she was at work.

A tip called in to police Friday morning sent them to a neighborhood near Hampton High School, off of Prince James Drive and Prince Philli Street. The caller said a child's body could be found there.

Dear Lord!!!!! Something tells me that poor little boy has seen much worse than those horribly scalded hands in his short life. Its disgusting.

Man charged in child's death

Friday, July 15, 2005
By 13News

A child was found dead in a wooded area in Hampton Friday afternoon. And by 3:45 p.m., police had arrested his aunt's boyfriend for murder.

Four-year-old Davion Mutts disappeared about 9:00 p.m. Wednesday from his aunt’s home at 101-B Dooley Street. Her boyfriend, William Shanklin, was watching him while she was at work.

A tip called in to police Friday morning sent them to a neighborhood near Hampton High School, off of Prince James Drive and Prince Phillip Street. The caller said a child's body could be found there.

By 1:00 p.m., Shanklin has been brought to the scene in the Hampton Terrace neighborhood, and with his help, the boy's body was found.

For nearly 48 hours, police and citizens conducted all-out search by police and concerned citizens to find Davion. Searchers used dogs, night vision goggles and a helicopter to look for the boy.

Police said he has asthma and had blisters on his hands from an injury days earlier, although police wouldn't elaborate on that.

Mutts came to Hampton for the summer. Otherwise, police say, he lives with his grandmother in New Jersey.

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stories/wvec_local_071505_child's_body_found.ab24f05c.html

Oh why why why why why??!! :( I hate to say that I knew this was how it was going to turn out, but the burns gave it away. Why? How can someone just kill a little child like that? What goes through their minds? It just makes me sick :(

William Shanklin led police to a wooded area Friday where Davion Mutts's body was found around noon beneath some brush behind a row of houses.

"I don't what prompted him after so many hours to go to investigators and give them the location of the body," Hampton Police Chief Charles "Chuck" Jordan said.

Police did not say how Davion died.

Detectives searched Turner's home Thursday and found latex gloves with "an apparent drop of dried blood," seven empty bottles of bleach in the trash bin outside and firearms, according to a warrant.

Shanklin was charged with murder and felony child neglect.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/071605_nw_babysitter.html

Spazkat9696 said:
http://www.wvec.com/news/local/stories/wvec_local_020807_mutts_to_jury_.63d2bfb8.html

Just saw this on the news they found him guilty the sentence will be decided Friday the death penilty is on the table

Oh I hope he gets the death penalty. If anyone deserves it this evil person does. One more thing....why do women keep leaving little kids...theirs or not...with their boyfriends? That aunt had to have known what he did to that little guys hands!! I think she should have gotten some prison time too. She knew that her "boyfriend" was abusive to that poor baby.

What I don't understand is on TV they said the Aunt was also the boyfriend of devions father so I guess he was just jumping from sister to sister I hope he gets the DP also and this being VA he more than likley will everyone knows us VA folks love the DP

Did they ever say how he had burns on his hands? If he had "mysteriously" recieved those after being in this guys care before, it should have been a red flag to the aunt. I'm not trying to smear her, I'm just a little confused:waitasec: .

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back