1453 users online (363 members and 1090 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Police: Coach Told Player to Injure Disabled Teammate, 8

A youth baseball coach paid one of his players to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate so the boy wouldn't be able to play in a game, state police said Friday.

Mark R. Downs Jr. (search), 27, of Dunbar, offered one of his players $25 to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. Witnesses told police Downs didn't want the boy to play in the T-ball game because of his disability.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162680,00.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This guy makes me sick.

I hope they charge this jerk with every possible criminal charge they can think of. I do believe there are federal laws protecting disabled persons from abuse - especially children. Then there's contributing to the deliquency of a minor - the kids he paid to hit the child. I'll bet there's a list a mile long of possible charges. Let's hope the prosecutor sees fit to nail him on every single one.

This is one of the more disturbing things I've heard in a while as far as kids sports go. I am praying this man ends up in PRISON...serving out a long sentence.

This guy is a coach of children. Some values he is teaching them. Win at all costs even if it means injuring a disabled child.

I put money on some parents not having a problem with this. I for one have a HUGE problem with it of course. But for other "parents" they will be saying: What is the problem...........

I have no doubt.......

The attorney representing a youth baseball coach accused of paying a player to hurt an 8-year-old mentally disabled teammate last month says his client is innocent and the whole case is the result of a misunderstanding.

Mark R. Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, was charged with offering one of his players $25 to hit the boy in the head with a baseball, police said. The boy was hit in the head and in the groin with a baseball just before a game and didn't play, police said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in709835.shtml
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I hope they hit him hard

This coach is sick. I cannot believe he could actually be in charge of children. I hope they do a full backround check on this guy mysteryview. I hope we hear more about it..

Can you print any follow ups if you get any?

I wonder if anyone from the "Rights of the Disabled" are involved in this case as of yet.

I really am going to be sick. This is as nasty as it gets. I noticed somebody posted that probably some of the parents did not complain. I imagine this is true. With all that happens in sports today, I don't wonder if it doesn't even bother some. This is just outrageous. Years ago sports was for competition, not for hurting children, for building spirit, for growth, team unity, all that great stuff.

Now it is all about winning---- at all costs. I'm just sick over this. If there is an address, I would like to write. Espcially for all the disabled children of America. I spent my youth watching the Yankees and the Mets play with my Dad. We spent childhood on teams building character.

This man deserves to be punished to the highest extent and made an example out of. The problem today is that our sports stars are not good examples either. They slide on everything and do not set themselves above so children can look up to them but that is another story in itself.

I am just at a loss. I fought a few battles for the disabled and I read stuff like this and want to kick this guys azz myself.

Sorry for the explosion.. but glad you printed it.

Maybe I can write a few Sports stars that are examples.

Thank you mysteryview for all the updates...

To the coach....

You're welcome. I post updates as I see them, so yes if I see something I will be posting it. I am not following this story in particlular and often on a story like this, the sites I use won't be updating on this type of case. I would suggest that you make note of the websites that have the articles and check them out about once a month. Then you can follow it as it goes to court. (But if I do see something, I will post it).