1070 users online (221 members and 849 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,299

    Ransom note and the single intruder.

    The RN stands in opposition to what actually happened to JBR.

    The RN was placed on a traffic path separating the basement from the bedrooms.

    This gives the RN the appearance of a block or diversionary tactic. IOW there was never a kidnapping for ransom.

    The single intruder with a premeditated plan that involved the basement is going to have perceived threats beforehand. One of those threats is going to be a parent entering the basement unannounced. Another of those threats is going to be the parents calling the police while the intruder is still in the neighborhood.

    IMO the ransom note was never used for its intended purpose, since the parents never came downstairs until morning. Even then, the ransom note effectively delayed a house search for hours.

    The parents called 911 and reported a kidnapping. During the morning hours, the police were looking for a girl matching JBR's description. Without the note, the police would have been looking for a murder suspect.

    SIDI makes more sense than RDI because in RDI you have to believe that the parents called 911 hours earlier than prescribed by the ransom note they themselves wrote. You also have to believe that they invited local LE and FBI to a scene where they willingly left handwriting and capital murder evidence lying around.
    Last edited by Holdontoyourhat; 07-16-2005 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pa, USA
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat
    The RN stands in opposition to what actually happened to JBR.

    The RN was placed on a traffic path separating the basement from the bedrooms.

    This gives the RN the appearance of a block or diversionary tactic. IOW there was never a kidnapping for ransom.

    The single intruder with a premeditated plan that involved the basement is going to have perceived threats beforehand. One of those threats is going to be a parent entering the basement unannounced. Another of those threats is going to be the parents calling the police while the intruder is still in the neighborhood.

    IMO the ransom note was never used for its intended purpose, since the parents never came downstairs until morning. Even then, the ransom note effectively delayed a house search for hours.

    The parents called 911 and reported a kidnapping. During the morning hours, the police were looking for a girl matching JBR's description. Without the note, the police would have been looking for a murder suspect.

    SIDI makes more sense than RDI because in RDI you have to believe that the parents called 911 hours earlier than prescribed by the ransom note they themselves wrote. You also have to believe that they invited local LE and FBI to a scene where they willingly left handwriting and capital murder evidence lying around.
    Agreeing here!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    342

    Bogus RN

    No argument, the RN was bogus.

    I suppose it was reasonably well placed to stop someone from going down in the basement. Surely an intruder would think to not place it near the basement stairs - that would only become a directional hint. How would an intruder figure out otherwise what is the best location to place the note?

    Now, which rut should we dig into today: RDI or IDI or hybrid BDI?

    In RDI, the note's location would simply be determined after the sad event.

    IN IDI, the note's location would have to be well planned. That fits with someone acquainted with the house and who had time before the event. Fact: the Ramays were out that night, but my BIG question is how the intruder would know they would be gone for long.

    The RN was bogus, but to me well written with a fixated knowledge of kidnap crime and commando threats, maybe some Leopold & Loeb thrown in. Nintendo has some of that, but I think there was anger that comes from an older person. The fact that they also lived in Charlevoix might have inspired a connection to Leopold & Loeb. For an intruder that would have to be quite the coincidence.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    No argument, the RN was bogus.

    I suppose it was reasonably well placed to stop someone from going down in the basement. Surely an intruder would think to not place it near the basement stairs - that would only become a directional hint. How would an intruder figure out otherwise what is the best location to place the note?
    Its not very complicated. Anyone beginning their search for JBR missing from her bed would be certain to find the note first.

    What do you think the main point of the ransom note was? Don't call the police was clearly very high on the author's point-making agenda. The perp really placed a lot of emphasis on this, even threatening to behead a child.

    The note obviously has great value as a block or diversion while a single intruder was in the basement, or still in the neighborhood. The value of the ransom note in RDI I'm not sure of. Maybe the perp who lived there wanted to provide the FBI with three pages of their disguised handwriting so that the FBI could then compare it to their actual handwriting. That sounds really stupid, though.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat
    Its not very complicated. Anyone beginning their search for JBR missing from her bed would be certain to find the note first.

    What do you think the main point of the ransom note was? Don't call the police was clearly very high on the author's point-making agenda. The perp really placed a lot of emphasis on this, even threatening to behead a child.

    The note obviously has great value as a block or diversion while a single intruder was in the basement, or still in the neighborhood. The value of the ransom note in RDI I'm not sure of. Maybe the perp who lived there wanted to provide the FBI with three pages of their disguised handwriting so that the FBI could then compare it to their actual handwriting. That sounds really stupid, though.
    Regardless if IDI or RDI I think we can all agree that the RN kept the family in the home and near JBR until she was found that day. Perhaps that was the purpose of the note.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    342

    Why 3 pages RN?

    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat
    The note obviously has great value as a block or diversion while a single intruder was in the basement, or still in the neighborhood. The value of the ransom note in RDI I'm not sure of. Maybe the perp who lived there wanted to provide the FBI with three pages of their disguised handwriting so that the FBI could then compare it to their actual handwriting. That sounds really stupid, though.
    I concur about the stupidity of leaving 3 pages of handwriting evidence. That would only make sense if it was an intruder not closely connected, but related to someone who had the inside knowledge of the house and family. I even considered someone who was jailed for forgery.

    But then again in a state of confusion, maybe the author put caution to wind and wrote a note with numerous diversionary tactics.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,061

    Hmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    I concur about the stupidity of leaving 3 pages of handwriting evidence. That would only make sense if it was an intruder not closely connected, but related to someone who had the inside knowledge of the house and family. I even considered someone who was jailed for forgery.

    But then again in a state of confusion, maybe the author put caution to wind and wrote a note with numerous diversionary tactics.
    Seems to me that someone who is known to be ambidextrous AND artistically inclined is the most promising of suspects in writing the ransom note. Add rubber or latex gloves to the hand that did the 'job' and there ya go. John even said it was an 'Inside Job'. 'Inside Job' is certainly used in criminal conversation, particularly in crime and whodunit books and movies.

    Trouble with handwriting analysts, imop, are that they most likely 'think' the handwriter person just dashed off a note in his/her regular handwriting. This case has a high level of deviosity (I made up that word) so PR is my best suspect for the writing of the note.





    .
    Opinions expressed by me, are mine, based on life experience, and known facts of any given case.





    """I am just a pixel in the universal plan."""

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper
    [..]
    Trouble with handwriting analysts, imop, are that they most likely 'think' the handwriter person just dashed off a note in his/her regular handwriting. This case has a high level of deviosity (I made up that word) so PR is my best suspect for the writing of the note.





    .
    I don't think QDEs assume what they are examining is in the writer's regular handwriting. Otherwise they wouldn't be called on to determine the authenticity of (potentially) forged signatures where they may or may not be dealing with a deliberate deception. My recollection is part of what they should be able to do is spot the hesitations etc that come with a forgery.

    Also, the phrase 'inside job' isn't limited to use by the criminal element in fiction etc. Regular people use it too. It simply means someone who had some connection or special knowledge gained from a connection. In other words - not a random stranger.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,061

    Hmmm

    Yep I knew that about inside job, I am olde, books are filled with stuff I donut know, but I know that one.

    Yes a common perp, an intruder if you will, or a foreign faction, would be having a problem with 'IMITATING' PR's handwriting. A common perp would not have all of the letters down pat, a,b,c's yah dah etc.

    An intruder who is an 'insider' might have a Christmas or greeting card from PR, with some of the a,b,c's in it, but not all of the letters used in the note.

    Then of course we have the foreign faction aspect, gee whillikers, IF they are foreign, they know how to write by hand in their foreign language. Whats the chance that a foreigner would make letters a,b,c's etc, so similar to PR's?

    I don't remember IF anyone of our super sleuthies here on WS ever made a comparative of just how MANY letters a,b,c's etc, were nearly the same as PR's? Now that would be interesting to mull over.

    I would think that a foreign faction person would not have to bother to disguise their handwriting, fingerprints on the note might nail em, but of course there were not any fingerprints found on the ransom note paper. Again, IF the note writer was a terrorist or just in from a foreign country, WHO would have a record of their dna. DO other countries keep dna records, I am guessing not, particularly if the FF person had never been convicted of a sexual crime.

    A drooling perp the same deal, donut leave fingerprints or dna, IF they have a sexual pervert record!

    An insider would not want to leave fingerprints or dna either.

    I as a common law abiding person, don't think anyone has my dna in a system anywhere, huh, er?



    .
    Opinions expressed by me, are mine, based on life experience, and known facts of any given case.





    """I am just a pixel in the universal plan."""

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    There was a reason for the ranson note.
    The perp did not want to leave,letting JR to think this could have been done by just anyone (crazy person in the area,pedophile stalking JonBenet, etc.) The ransom note was covert enough to let JR know,maybe not exactly who did it,but narrowed it down.
    The "inner" information: $118,000(JR's bonus),southern common sense(used jokingly by JR's inner circles),fat cat(his wealth,business),SBTC(JR's military service),Victory(possibly a word that was used often during JR's annual Regatta races in Chicago). These were all covert messages,that led JR to believe this was an "inside job". I believe the rest was "filler" to sound like a "standard" ransom note.
    IMO ... I think the person who wanted revenge for JR is a powerful, important person,who would not personally kill JonBenet,but paid off someone,who knows someone,who would.I also believe,JR has a good idea of who this person is ...and for reasons we don't know ... he's not talking.

    It wasn't the money ... it wasn't JonBenet ... it was a message to John.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdontoyourhat
    The RN stands in opposition to what actually happened to JBR.

    The RN was placed on a traffic path separating the basement from the bedrooms.

    This gives the RN the appearance of a block or diversionary tactic. IOW there was never a kidnapping for ransom.

    The single intruder with a premeditated plan that involved the basement is going to have perceived threats beforehand. One of those threats is going to be a parent entering the basement unannounced. Another of those threats is going to be the parents calling the police while the intruder is still in the neighborhood.

    IMO the ransom note was never used for its intended purpose, since the parents never came downstairs until morning. Even then, the ransom note effectively delayed a house search for hours.

    The parents called 911 and reported a kidnapping. During the morning hours, the police were looking for a girl matching JBR's description. Without the note, the police would have been looking for a murder suspect.

    SIDI makes more sense than RDI because in RDI you have to believe that the parents called 911 hours earlier than prescribed by the ransom note they themselves wrote. You also have to believe that they invited local LE and FBI to a scene where they willingly left handwriting and capital murder evidence lying around.
    Ok, so just WHEN was that note placed on those steps???
    This is a very important point. And no one ever answers how it fits into their intruder theory. Because it's ridiculous when you think about it.

    This supposed intruder would have gone upstairs to grab JonBenet.
    Obviously he did not place the note BEFORE he went up the stairs or he would have stepped on it on the way down as he was carrying JonBenet! It was not stepped on nor crinkled in any way.

    And of course he could not have carried the note UP with him and held on to the note while juggling JonBenet in his arms too as he wrestled her out of her bed and down the stairs.

    And do you really think he would have just LEFT the note lying around downstairs somewhere as he went up to pick up JonBenet? LOL! And then he did what - lay her down on the floor after they walked downstairs - then walk over, pick up the 3 pages and then go spread them out on the stair step and then go back over and pick up JonBenet??? It's silly to even contemplate. (And then we are supposed to believe he decides to STAY in the house even longer and go downstairs to the basement! Why didn't he just LEAVE?)

    Or - do you think he had the 3 pages of note downstairs and went back upstairs into the main house just to place the note somewhere? After he's just beat and killed a child in the house?? Of course not.

    So WHEN do you intruder theorists think those 3 pages of note were placed on those stairs?? Which one of the above occured? It has to be one of them.

    ~ There was no intruder. ~
    This post is my opinion.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,795
    Well if I'd been doing it I would have waited til I was sure everyone was asleep. Put the note on the stairs - either stepped over that step (or to one side or the other of the note) - gone up, gotten JonBent and carried her down the front stairs. Why is that complicated?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,061

    Hmmm

    Capps wrote, "IMO ... I think the person who wanted revenge for JR is a powerful, important person,who would not personally kill JonBenet,but paid off someone,who knows someone,who would.I also believe,JR has a good idea of who this person is ...and for reasons we don't know ... he's not talking.

    It wasn't the money ... it wasn't JonBenet ... it was a message to John.

    The person who wanted revenge who knew all of the private expressions used was in my opinion the same person who was dressed down for abusing JonBenet on 12/23/96, when the 911 call was made. I believe JR dressed down his 20'ish son maybe even used the dictionary to explain incest, perhaps even threatened to remove him from his will, perhaps had refused some BIG want for some money to BUY something like a new car becuz this young person knew about the bonus figure, and knew the money was available for his WANT whatever it might have been. Mix some alcohol into the scenario and you have a prime suspect, all of which is my opinion based on published information about the case.

    I do believe that JR as the man of the family, IF IF he had not been dressing down a perp the evening of 12/23/96 would have answered his own front door to the Boulder Police officer, in response to the 911 call. IF memory serves me the dictionary in question was found in the master bedroom, please someone correct me IF my memory of where the dictionary was found is incorrect.

    The 23rd may have in fact been the day that the person told JonBenet that she would have a secret visit from Santa Claus AFTER Christmas.

    I also believe this is the person that JR was so eager to leave Boulder the morning of the 26th saying he had some important matters to attend to in Atlanta. Perhaps the $8,000 that may have been asked for was deducted mentally from the bonus and the 110,000 was the remaining amount of the bonus asked for in the ransom note.




    .
    Opinions expressed by me, are mine, based on life experience, and known facts of any given case.





    """I am just a pixel in the universal plan."""

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by capps
    There was a reason for the ranson note.
    The perp did not want to leave,letting JR to think this could have been done by just anyone (crazy person in the area,pedophile stalking JonBenet, etc.) The ransom note was covert enough to let JR know,maybe not exactly who did it,but narrowed it down.
    The "inner" information: $118,000(JR's bonus),southern common sense(used jokingly by JR's inner circles),fat cat(his wealth,business),SBTC(JR's military service),Victory(possibly a word that was used often during JR's annual Regatta races in Chicago). These were all covert messages,that led JR to believe this was an "inside job". I believe the rest was "filler" to sound like a "standard" ransom note.
    IMO ... I think the person who wanted revenge for JR is a powerful, important person,who would not personally kill JonBenet,but paid off someone,who knows someone,who would.I also believe,JR has a good idea of who this person is ...and for reasons we don't know ... he's not talking.

    It wasn't the money ... it wasn't JonBenet ... it was a message to John.
    I have come to the point (after about 3 years reading diverse theories) and think it was either the above planned revenge or a rage accident.

    Of course it was a phony RN and could have been left anytime after to cause diversion. That is common to both IDI and RDI. What is different is this: I think it would have been written before if it was IDI. It would of course been written after if it was RDI.

    Is there a CLUE somewhere that it was written either before or after?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by K777angel
    Ok, so just WHEN was that note placed on those steps???
    This is a very important point. And no one ever answers how it fits into their intruder theory. Because it's ridiculous when you think about it.
    I don't think its very significant when or how the single intruder managed to place the note. I certainly wouldn't put it past his ability to manage that minor detail when you consider the other things he did.

    Its a little odd from my POV why the garrote would be seen here as used in any other way than it has been used throughout history, as a quiet control and kill weapon.

    The quieting effect of the garrote and the diverting effect of the ransom note (during the morning, police were looking for a 6 year old girl instead of a murder suspect) adds up to a single intruder with some training or experience.

    Maybe the perp really is "familiar with law enforcement countermeasures and tactics," and familiar with criminal tactics also.

    This is one advantage of IDI over RDI: the killer can take on a standard bad-guy criminal sex-offender child-killer stereotyped profile, instead of force-fitting the Ramsey's into that mold (lol) because its easier, or they happened to be nearby at the time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. The ransom note
    By terralee in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: 12-03-2017, 06:59 PM
  2. The Presence of the Ransom Note
    By Ottavi in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 09:00 PM
  3. My take on the ransom note...
    By JMO8778 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
  4. Replies: 323
    Last Post: 09-21-2007, 10:36 PM
  5. Just a Ransom Note Quiz
    By Camper in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 02:27 PM