983 users online (169 members and 814 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 321
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    344

    CT - Connie Smith, 10, Salisbury, 16 July 1952

    Connie Smith vanished while leaving the summer camp she was attending on July 16, 1952.

    Here's the story:

    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_connie.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New england
    Posts
    3,748
    yes omg i totaly forgot that its been 53 years i remeber when i found out about the case of connie smith. it hit home again another girl from ct vanishes without a trace from summer camp.. i did some research i think where she went missing and where i live is like a nr away.. when i was little i used to live out that way where she vanished i was about maby 15-20 minnuts away.. i know i was in contact with a women who was writing a book on smith but i dont think anything came of the book, i know this person stated that a few of the facts in her listings on the web were not all accurate and it was missinformation passed down. from person to person.. i know they checked into some suspects but nothing came of them... also to my knowlege she is an only child.. and her parents were divorced... and she had a grandma who lived in grenwich ct.. i wonder if she has any family left any cousins or if she even had any siblings. someone knows what happend to her that person is probably long gone..

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I came across some interesting info while researching another case some of you are familiar with...

    From the Coshocton (OH) Tribune, Apr 8th 1953--"Floater's Story of Desert Murder May Solve Disappearance of Girl, 10"...27 year-old Frederick Pope confessed to the Washington OH PD that he and a companion, Jack Walker, had picked up Connie Smith in CT with the promise of taking her home to WY. They actually took her to AZ, where Walker strangled Smith and buried her along a highway in AZ. Pope and Walker then argued, at which time Pope killed Walker with a tire iron.
    From the Syracuse (NY) Herald, April 9th, 1953--"Kidnap-Killing Story a Hoax"....PD reported Pope "broke down after repeated grilling" and admitted he made up the story.
    From the Syracuse (NY) Post Standard, Nov 23rd 1962---"Dental Charts Link Body to Missing Girl"...CT State Police Commissioner Leo Mulcahy reported that a comparison of dental charts "strongly suggest" that a body found in AZ in '58 could be that of Connie Smith. The remains of a female, aged approximately 13-17 years of age, were found near Grand Canyon National Park and dubbed "little Miss X" by officers investigating her death. She had been dead at least a year [note, forensics in '58 sure ain't what they are today]. Connie Smith's personal dentist spoke to a dentist in Flagstaff AZ who was examining the jaw of the recovered remains. The jaw was to be shipped to Connie's dentist for confirmation. The dentist in AZ stated he was convinced he had been examining the teeth of Connie Smith.

    And that's it. I could find nothing else.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,077

    Vital Records...

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    I came across some interesting info while researching another case some of you are familiar with...

    From the Coshocton (OH) Tribune, Apr 8th 1953--"Floater's Story of Desert Murder May Solve Disappearance of Girl, 10"...27 year-old Frederick Pope confessed to the Washington OH PD that he and a companion, Jack Walker, had picked up Connie Smith in CT with the promise of taking her home to WY. They actually took her to AZ, where Walker strangled Smith and buried her along a highway in AZ. Pope and Walker then argued, at which time Pope killed Walker with a tire iron.
    From the Syracuse (NY) Herald, April 9th, 1953--"Kidnap-Killing Story a Hoax"....PD reported Pope "broke down after repeated grilling" and admitted he made up the story.
    From the Syracuse (NY) Post Standard, Nov 23rd 1962---"Dental Charts Link Body to Missing Girl"...CT State Police Commissioner Leo Mulcahy reported that a comparison of dental charts "strongly suggest" that a body found in AZ in '58 could be that of Connie Smith. The remains of a female, aged approximately 13-17 years of age, were found near Grand Canyon National Park and dubbed "little Miss X" by officers investigating her death. She had been dead at least a year [note, forensics in '58 sure ain't what they are today]. Connie Smith's personal dentist spoke to a dentist in Flagstaff AZ who was examining the jaw of the recovered remains. The jaw was to be shipped to Connie's dentist for confirmation. The dentist in AZ stated he was convinced he had been examining the teeth of Connie Smith.

    And that's it. I could find nothing else.
    Very interesting series of articles. I do not know Arizona Records procedures, but in some states, Coroner/Medical Examiner reports are maintained by the State Office of Vital Records. Somewhere in Arizona there exists a report on the remains and any final determination as to identity and disposition of remains would be there.

    Today, a DNA test could be run on material held inside those teeth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A little to the left of normal
    Posts
    186

    Connie Smith search continues

    We are active in searching for the remains of a "Little Miss X" found in AZ in the 60's. The remains has been tested once, but well before DNA was available and nothing conclusive to say this was Connie. You might think it would be easy to locate her remains, however that has not been the case, so far. The CT. State Police are active in the case as well.

    Someone contacted me with information on a Jane Doe found in Boulder, CO, but we feel this is not Connie Smith. So the search goes on.

    I do have a contact in AZ that may have discovered some information and we are awaiting further facts.

    Let's hope we find this Miss X and have her tested. Who knows she could also help to solve another family mystery if she turns out not to be Connie Smith.

    Thanks for keeping this case active on the page.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Is there a link for this "Little Miss X"? I have googled her, but can't find any information. She's not on doenetwork.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    Here is a link to the article from NewspaperArchvies.com mentioning "little Miss X":

    http://www.newspaperarchive.com/cache2/18502480.pdf

    And, an article from 1977 about Connie...

    http://www.newspaperarchive.com/cache2/17462360.pdf

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New england
    Posts
    3,748
    hey none of the links are working? what about the teeth that he was so certin were connies did anything else come of that. when i et the chance i plan on visiting the area where she was last seen, i live about 45 minnuts from where she vanished

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by smile22
    hey none of the links are working? what about the teeth that he was so certin were connies did anything else come of that. when i et the chance i plan on visiting the area where she was last seen, i live about 45 minnuts from where she vanished
    The links aren't working for me either.

    This is all really interesting. I hope we can get some answers soon!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I think the links may have timed out. The substance of the report about "Little Miss X" and Connie is posted above.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New england
    Posts
    3,748
    how would i get in contact with tx le about little miss x?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A little to the left of normal
    Posts
    186

    Connie Smith

    Quote Originally Posted by smile22
    how would i get in contact with tx le about little miss x?
    TX LE? Do you mean AZ? The undersheriff and sheriff of that county who were responsible are deceased, but we do have had a researcher looking into finding the location of these remains. Hopefully that will happen soon.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    As I understand it, the jaw and teeth of Little Miss X were delivered to the dentist doing the comparison examination with Connie's dental records. If this is so, have you looked into seeing what became of the jaw? It may still be with the authorities where the comparison took place (the jaw may have been sent back so as to be buried with the rest of the reamins, but maybe not). Typically, the teeth are a preferred location to find DNA in skeletal remains (tooth pulp from the root).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A little to the left of normal
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    As I understand it, the jaw and teeth of Little Miss X were delivered to the dentist doing the comparison examination with Connie's dental records. If this is so, have you looked into seeing what became of the jaw? It may still be with the authorities where the comparison took place (the jaw may have been sent back so as to be buried with the rest of the reamins, but maybe not). Typically, the teeth are a preferred location to find DNA in skeletal remains (tooth pulp from the root).
    As far as I know, the authorities have been checked, we need to find out what happened after the comparison was done. These remains may have traveled to Denver, Spearfish, SD, Flagstaff, AZ or even the FBI lab in DC who knows? We know they are not in Connecticut. They could have been reburial, or are sitting on a shelf or in a drawer in an evidence room or ME's office. The two sheriff's are deceased, so it is one piece of paper at a time to see just what happened.

    I would be happy if someone could locate information on the original finding in 1958 in AZ by the two hunters. And what other things were found along with this Jane Doe?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by talelights
    As far as I know, the authorities have been checked, we need to find out what happened after the comparison was done. These remains may have traveled to Denver, Spearfish, SD, Flagstaff, AZ or even the FBI lab in DC who knows? We know they are not in Connecticut. They could have been reburial, or are sitting on a shelf or in a drawer in an evidence room or ME's office. The two sheriff's are deceased, so it is one piece of paper at a time to see just what happened.

    I would be happy if someone could locate information on the original finding in 1958 in AZ by the two hunters. And what other things were found along with this Jane Doe?
    I'm going to take that any of the original files related to Miss X have disapperared from whatever LE authority was handling her case. I've searched NewspaperArchives.com and a few other sources I have, and that single article is all I've ever found.
    It will probably come down to a visit to a library in the area for a walk through the microfilm. Someone at the libraries there, or someone from the staff of a local paper, may take an interest in the case and assist.
    And, I still think a check of the funeral homes will help, its just narrowing down the list. The sheriff's department there should know which home they dealt with for body preperation (even if her remains were finally sent somewhere else for interment.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GA Gowan, Richard DOB- July 1 1952 found April 22, 2012 # 366
    By raine1212 in forum Fulton County GA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM
  2. CT Connie Smith (10) - Salisbury CT, 1952
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 09:38 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Tags for this Thread