1138 users online (221 members and 917 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 321
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A little to the left of normal
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    I'm going to take that any of the original files related to Miss X have disapperared from whatever LE authority was handling her case. I've searched NewspaperArchives.com and a few other sources I have, and that single article is all I've ever found.
    It will probably come down to a visit to a library in the area for a walk through the microfilm. Someone at the libraries there, or someone from the staff of a local paper, may take an interest in the case and assist.
    And, I still think a check of the funeral homes will help, its just narrowing down the list. The sheriff's department there should know which home they dealt with for body preperation (even if her remains were finally sent somewhere else for interment.
    The library at the Northern Arisonia University did a search in the Arizonia Sun Newspapers and besides what you have already listed there seems to be little more. I am calling for the Microfilm to search 1958 and hope something turns up. As for locating the remains, we have found a number of unidentifed but now need to find a way to know which one is Little Miss X. So far, nothing, but we are not giving up. It will take some time but I feel confident we will get to these, even if we have to have them all tested!!

    Thanks for the suggestions, always someone else with new eyes can open doors.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I posted those three articles wondering if there was any truth to what the guy had said, about picking up a girl in CT and taking her to AZ. If there is any truth there, it may not be Connie, but seems it could be Miss X. Could there be another missing girl from CT from that time frame, who's disappearance was overshadowed by Connie's?I e-mailed and sent a letter to America's Most Wanted, as they are set to do a story on Boulder Jane Doe. As Connie was recently mentioned as a possible match (and ruled out), I was hoping they could make mention of Little Miss X in hopes that someone's memory might be jogged about her recovery and interment.
    Talelights-Have you looked into speaking to the local papers from AZ, maybe someone there reading the story will remember something? I would think they might be interested in running a story on your search, given the increasing interest in cold missing persons' cases. Or even your local paper...

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A little to the left of normal
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    I posted those three articles wondering if there was any truth to what the guy had said, about picking up a girl in CT and taking her to AZ. If there is any truth there, it may not be Connie, but seems it could be Miss X. Could there be another missing girl from CT from that time frame, who's disappearance was overshadowed by Connie's?

    It is funny about the confession, as it is so close to the truth with the finding of the body, but there are a few things missing too, like where is the other body, the one he confessed to killing, the driver of the car?

    As far as I know, which is not much about missing girls from that era, there were none, but… this Pope guy, said there was another girl with then when they “picked up Connie” and I have not been able to find out who is was and if she arrived home safely.


    I e-mailed and sent a letter to America's Most Wanted, as they are set to do a story on Boulder Jane Doe. As Connie was recently mentioned as a possible match (and ruled out), I was hoping they could make mention of Little Miss X in hopes that someone's memory might be jogged about her recovery and interment.

    Shadowangel, your ideas and assistance are greatly appreciated. I’m just not thinking out of the box. I was so close, months ago, to this case, but with nothing new, I let it slide, and now with Boulder Jane Doe, the case has once again come out of hiding. It seems to do that around this time of the year, almost like it is connected to the first discovery date of Little Miss X in 1958 and then later in November 1962 when her remains were tested against Connie Smith. I guess you never know just where this stuff comes from.
    I hope America’s Most Wanted is interested I’ll drop them a note too.



    Talelights
    -Have you looked into speaking to the local papers from AZ, maybe someone there reading the story will remember something? I would think they might be interested in running a story on your search, given the increasing interest in cold missing persons' cases. Or even your local paper...
    I do have a connection at the local paper here, she wrote a fifty-year anniversary piece on the Connie Smith case. I'll contact AZ papers to see if we can get some interest going. Might be worth a shot. Also, I think that girl, who was reported to be in the car with Pope when "they" picked up Connie might have been from Rhode Island. Lets check for any missing girls in the same time frame in Rhode Island.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I wasn't aware of the report that there was another girl in the car. I will definitely do some digging.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New england
    Posts
    3,748
    as far as my digging i dont belive anyone to have been missing from ri in that time period i have gone to many sites and only 2-3 people have been reported missing from ri i could be wrong though

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,715

    Correct name?

    Pardon me for asking what may seem a silly question but :Was Connie her complete name or only a nickname for Constance or Consuela etc.? And did she have a middle name?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A little to the left of normal
    Posts
    186
    Interesting that you asked that, the official poster published by the family in 1952 said only Connie Smith, age 10. I but I have heard her that she might have been named Constance. She was born in Newcastle, WY.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,715

    Name

    Quote Originally Posted by talelights
    Interesting that you asked that, the official poster published by the family in 1952 said only Connie Smith, age 10. I but I have heard her that she might have been named Constance. She was born in Newcastle, WY.
    I was running a simple web search on the name Connie Smith and I kept finding people with that name that used Connie only as a nickname. Then it dawned on me that there might be more info somewhere under the correct name if it was other than just Connie.

    Example of a Connie Smith with the name of Consuelo:
    (That seems to be her married name unless she would choose to keep her maiden name. I don't at all think this example is the Connie Smith but it is an example of names as I spoke of above.)
    http://resource.realtor.com/display/?id=15658299&
    While I am on the subject of this missing lady:I realize that it may not seem likely that a 10 yr. old young lady would survive out on her own like that, but without a body I suppose we ought to keep that possibility in mind.

    I don't suppose there was ever any SS# activity either?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    I was running a simple web search on the name Connie Smith and I kept finding people with that name that used Connie only as a nickname. Then it dawned on me that there might be more info somewhere under the correct name if it was other than just Connie.

    While I am on the subject of this missing lady:I realize that it may not seem likely that a 10 yr. old young lady would survive out on her own like that, but without a body I suppose we ought to keep that possibility in mind.

    I don't suppose there was ever any SS# activity either?
    Other than some unsubstantiated reports, Connie just walked off the planet, seemingly. As she was the granddaughter of the former governor of Wyoming, this was huge news at the time. There are dozens of reports about Connie's disappearance in the news archives. Among the first reports are of a girl who claimed to be Connie found in the mid-west, but who was proven to be a "mentally disturbed" runaway.
    It was often said that though Connie was only 10, she easily passed for a girl in her mid- to late-teens.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by talelights
    I do have a connection at the local paper here, she wrote a fifty-year anniversary piece on the Connie Smith case. I'll contact AZ papers to see if we can get some interest going. Might be worth a shot. Also, I think that girl, who was reported to be in the car with Pope when "they" picked up Connie might have been from Rhode Island. Lets check for any missing girls in the same time frame in Rhode Island.
    Checking my notes, I found a report of a girl who went missing from Newport Rhode Island in August of '52. 17 year-old Dianne Butler was reportedly friendly with a military member from Newport, but no definite connection could be established. She packed her things and left home. Her mother reported she was a redhead but may have dyed her hair black. LE sent out a 13-state alert for her. In my notes I have "mid-west", but can't remember why. I found the original report in NewspaperArchives this morning, but there is no mention of what state(s) she was thought to be travelling to.
    Interestingly enough, I had forwarded this girl's report to S. Pettem as a possible Boulder Jane Doe match.


  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A little to the left of normal
    Posts
    186

    Rhode Island

    Wow, now what a connection with Miss X in AZ that could be. Is there any information or discription of what the missing girld looked like besides the red hair? Height? weight?

    Family memebers left?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    Quote Originally Posted by talelights
    Wow, now what a connection with Miss X in AZ that could be. Is there any information or discription of what the missing girld looked like besides the red hair? Height? weight?

    Family memebers left?
    5' 4", about 110 pounds, with brown eyes. Mother is mentioned by name, Chamah Butler, of 3 Bull St, and a step-father, Paul. She was believed to be wearing pearl earrings and a silver "friendship" ring. It was noted that she frequently wore "small bandages on her feet". (?)
    The article has a picture, I'll e-mail you.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    If Pope stated in his confession that the other girl in the car, known to him as Wilma Simms, had a husband in the military, then Dianne still fits with what we know...She may have been following her boyfriend who was in the military and originally from the same town as her. It would be interesting to find out where he was stationed....

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    Two interesting things I found today...An article from August of '53, in which the father of Connie, Peter F. Smith, comments on the search for Connie. He states, "...all trails lead to Los Angeles". At this point, I can't find any obvious reason for this statement. Seems something may have been known at the time which was never publicly released (?)

    I found an article from July 31st, 1952 about Connie's disappearance. Next to the article was another article about a young girl who was found dead in Oklahoma. The girl, believed to be a brunette (and thus named "Brunette X") was believed to be 13 or 14 years old. She had been decapitated, her hands and one foot severed, and the letters "R A T" crudely carved into her chest. Her body was located in a dry creek bed near the town of Yukon. I haven't been able to find anything else as of yet about this unfortunate young lady.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    5,073
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    Two interesting things I found today...An article from August of '53, in which the father of Connie, Peter F. Smith, comments on the search for Connie. He states, "...all trails lead to Los Angeles". At this point, I can't find any obvious reason for this statement. Seems something may have been known at the time which was never publicly released (?)

    I found an article from July 31st, 1952 about Connie's disappearance. Next to the article was another article about a young girl who was found dead in Oklahoma. The girl, believed to be a brunette (and thus named "Brunette X") was believed to be 13 or 14 years old. She had been decapitated, her hands and one foot severed, and the letters "R A T" crudely carved into her chest. Her body was located in a dry creek bed near the town of Yukon. I haven't been able to find anything else as of yet about this unfortunate young lady.
    I remember just recently reading something about the girl with RAT carved into her chest. I'll see if I can go back through some notes and see what I have.

    As to why Connie's father said all trails lead to Los Angeles, I haven't a clue. Perhaps at the time he was interviewed, the police were focusing on a possible suspect with ties to LA?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GA Gowan, Richard DOB- July 1 1952 found April 22, 2012 # 366
    By raine1212 in forum Fulton County GA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM
  2. CT Connie Smith (10) - Salisbury CT, 1952
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 09:38 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Tags for this Thread