876 users online (80 members and 796 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel
    Two interesting things I found today...An article from August of '53, in which the father of Connie, Peter F. Smith, comments on the search for Connie. He states, "...all trails lead to Los Angeles". At this point, I can't find any obvious reason for this statement. Seems something may have been known at the time which was never publicly released (?)
    Peter Smith went to Los Angeles to appeared on the popular daytime TV show, The Art Linkletter Show, where he was able to get the story of his missing daughter national exposure in hopes of having people come forward with information on the case. I think she might have been one of the first few to have that type of coverage. Some tips did came forth from the show and all the printed posters that were sent around the country, but it did little to help find the missing ten-year-old Connie Smith.

Mr. Smith was also in California to speak to someone who had worked at the summer camp where his daughter was last seen hoping for some additional clues to her case.
    Last edited by KayElJay; 06-24-2016 at 02:11 AM. Reason: repaired broken quote

What would make a girl leave?

I can not help but wonder, why a girl would leave her summer camp so early in the morning before breakfast and head towards a town she did not know?

Her grandparents and mother were located more than two hours away by car, and her father back in WY. It would be a while before she would eat since she missed breakfast if she were going to be picked up by her mother or grandparents.

Even if she were homesick, would she know how to call home using a payphone? Why not ask at one of the houses she stopped at to get direction to town why not ask to use the phone to call home? I think I read she had no money with her, but does that mean no change? And since the town did not have rail or bus service, what then?

Maybe a tentmate of her or even someone who has had some childhood camping experiences will read this and fill us in. I don't get it.

I know she liked horses and did ride at camp. Her father said she liked to ride go off by herself and spend the night back home on the ranch. But in a place she did not know? Certainly more town than she came from.

And I think there was to be a horse show in town within the next few days or week, I even think the camp was involved with the show. Could she be looking to go out riding instead of playing nice with her tentmates?

Or was she on a mission of some kind to tell something to someone?

The implication from the various websites where Connie is listed is that she was unhappy with her campmates and was homesick. I agree, though, it seems unlikely that a 10 year-old would walk away into the unknown for those reasons.

That she was allowed to walk away while being observed by a member of the camp staff raises serious questions. Could something have been going on that caused her to leave?

The flowers have me thinking a different direction. She is always spoken of as being mature for her age...Maybe she was supposed to meet someone?

maybe someone visiting the camp befrended her and said meet me at this place maybe that person saw how lonsome she was and knew she was an easy target. that person then decided after meeting her to grab her and do whatever with her. anything could have happend btw did connie have any other siblings or cousins or was she an only child

Connie Smith

The person who saw her walk away was not a staff member for the camp but a groundskeeper, not that that makes a difference, maybe. Often Counselors would walk to town on their day off and maybe that is where Connie got the idea, but did not know how far or where it was.

She certainly was on a mission, having nothing to eat, no money and left early before anyone would find her missing. Wonder if her tent mates reported her missing or???

The weekend before was Connie's tenth birthday. Maybe homesick is what was happening. She was to be in camp for another week or so, a month in total. The camp discouraged calls from the girls to home even though a phone was available given permission. There is no report of her asking to use the phone, however.

The camp wanted to seem safe to parents so as not to discourage them from sending their children to the camp. Even now "they" are very protective of the camp and what happened that day in 1952.

I wonder too, if her tent mates, many from a big city like New York and she from a small town out the West, could they have made fun of her?

While a report says she was mature for her age, did they mean body wise?

Connie she wore glasses that were found broken in her tent. Sounds like some kind of an altercation that may have gotten out of control. A little rougher than needed to be, but no one wants to admit to it. Maybe the camp staff didn't know... and the tent mates made a pact. Could the tent mates have felt they would really be in trouble, if the reason Connie left and got lost were because of what they did to her? Remembering they were ten-year-olds, on their own, and away from parents. Tricks were pulled, and some not being nice either. Feeling could and would have been hurt, misunderstandings especially for an outsider.

Or was it an adult that ???

Quote Originally Posted by talelights
    Tricks were pulled, and some not being nice either. Feeling could and would have been hurt, misunderstandings especially for an outsider.

Or was it an adult that ???
    As you informed me, the camp director stated he saw Connie the night before she left, going to the nurse's office---He saw she was upset, and put his arms around her to comfort her.
    This part of the story chills me...Why say this? To explain why someone may have seen him with her?

On charleyproject it says she was well developed and looked older than her age.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters
    On charleyproject it says she was well developed and looked older than her age.
    Precisely. I found a pic of her today in the archives which looks nothing like the Doe Network pic. She looks to be in her teens. Makes one wonder...And, I think these girl camps had to attract pedophiles like fllies to honey. No one really thought of such things in this time frame. There were always staff and maintenance positions to fill...OMG, had to be like a pedophile's dream.

interesting thoughts

The person who saw her walk away was not a staff member for the camp but a groundskeeper, not that that makes a difference, maybe. Often Counselors would walk to town on their day off and maybe that is where Connie got the idea, but did not know how far or where it was. . .
    Who was it that saw her when she "asked several people how she could get to Lakeville, Connecticut . . ."?
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_connie.html

I wonder if anyone took names of those witnesses and followed up on them over the years. Maybe one of them has developed a record of bad behavior over the years that might indicate a second look. Or maybe someones story has changed since then.

. . .There is no report of her asking to use the phone, however. . .
    Maybe she just wanted to call from town rather than spend another minute in the camp. Or maybe she was angry for having been sent to camp and especially after having that horrid fight with the other girls there. And maybe she thought that a phone call would just give someone a chance to tell her to stay put.

. . .I wonder too, if her tent mates, many from a big city like New York and she from a small town out the West, could they have made fun of her? . . .
    "She had an altercation with a group of female campers during the morning of July 16, 1952 and her nose was bloodied from the incident."
    I tend to agree. If her nose was bloodied then it could be she was pretty much rejected by the other kids for some reason.

. . .While a report says she was mature for her age, did they mean body wise? . . .
    ". . . Smith was well-developed in 1952 and looked older than her age."
    I guess someone thought that was the case.

. . .Or was it an adult that ???
    Meaning an adult might have broken the glasses? Any indication of that?

"Smith was seen picking daisies along the roadside and asked several people how she could get to Lakeville,. . ." I wonder who she spoke to? It sounds as if she was basically sound physically other than a sore nose and being without her glasses.

If it had been just those same girls that hurt her before that were the ones that "saw her alongside the road picking flowers" then I would have been asking if they might in fact have done something to her themselves and then used the story of her having left and walked along the road to cause people to look elsewhere instead of really searching the camp area for a body. Since that does not appear to have been the case then I doubt the girls did more than be cruel & cause a young girl to place herself in danger.

Yes the neighbor’s names were recorded and questioned. They were women, mostly who were at home (homemakers). Their homes were close to the roadway and not far from the camp entry where Connie had just left; she needed the correct directions to town, as there was a four way stop ahead. She stopped at a second house when once again there was a need to know which way to turn to get to town.

I'd love to get the story from her tent mates now, it's possible they could tell a different story of what happened that night. Was she homesick? It was her birthday a few days before and both her mother and grandmother visited her at the camp that weekend. Her mother said Connie was excited about being in a local horse show, and wanted to stay until then. Or so the story goes. She came from a place where horses were a way of life, and something she may have done daily back home. Could she be heading to where the camp horses were kept so she could get out and ride to clear her head? Something to think about if you're from the West and now stuck in a camp in the Northwest hills of Connecticut.

The glasses may have gotten broken in the tent either in the roughhousing or when she fell and hurt her hip. She went to the nurse tent for an ice bag and was to return it the next morning, but failed to do so. It was found in her tent.

The story of her picking flowers somehow took on a life of it’s own. There was never any indication she was picking flowers. She was seen crying and upset. Her mother told reporter or the police that Connie had been known to pick flowers and make daisy-flower necklaces like young girls will do in summer. That is the only mention of her with flowers. A newspaper wrote that and now it has become part of the myth of her last days.

There were known pedophiles working in area camps. Don’t know if any were at this camp, no mention of it that I saw. However other camps personnel were questioned. This camp was very concerned about its reputation with the well-to-do parents who sent their children to this camp.

It could be possible that she meet someone on that road, a main artery to New York State. The camp is a little more than one hundred miles from NY City. Many camp workers were from NY and brought were happy to work in the cooler slower paced country.

It has been relatively recent that LE has taken an interest in the missing and runaways. In the late fifties, only five or six years after the end of WWII, cops job was to investigate and stop crime, patrol towns and rural areas that were without their own police departments. Runaways or missing people were considered "family matters" nothing LE needed to get involved they would come home when they were ready.

Lucky this girl’s family had strong political connection, her grandfather was a former Governor of WY and he pulled out all the stops for assistance from the military, LE and the Connecticut Governor. Her father spent days, weeks and months searching the woodlands, fields, lakes and streams by plane and horseback. The State Police ordered special patrols just to look for her, at least until the weather turned ugly in winter.

Connie Smith was one of the first “poster children” thousands of printed posters were sent across the country to LE, forest rangers and anyone who would request some. A $3000.00 reward, by her parents, for finding her dead or alive stood for the first year, her grandfather renewed the reward the next year.

does anyone know if connies parents are alive or if anyone in her family is still alive? her story hits home alot im from ct lived here all my life and i used to live sorta near lakeville i think it was maybe 15-20 minnuts away i wasnt even around in 52i was born in 81 29 years after she vanished. just knowing that her parents went years without knowing what happend to her must hurt. its like janice pockett she went missing from ct as well in 73 vanished without a trace. its so sad that innocent children were taken and killed and such. i often wonder what posseses a man or women to do something like that

Quote Originally Posted by smile22
    does anyone know if connies parents are alive or if anyone in her family is still alive?
    Yes her father and brother are and they continue to search for her. But her mother passed on a couple of years after Connie went missing. Died of a broken heart some say.

omg how sad was anyone weird looking driving around the area at that time? and if so did anyone report it? didnt they look into someone from ny as a possible suspect

Quote Originally Posted by smile22
    omg how sad was anyone weird looking driving around the area at that time? and if so did anyone report it? didnt they look into someone from ny as a possible suspect
    The Connie Smith case was one of the first to use a missing person poster and a reward for finding her dead or alive. ($3000.00 for the first year that was renewed by her grandfather the second year) Thousands of posters were printed and the Connecticut State Police sent them out everywhere. Her father and family continues to follow up on any and all tips. The case is not closed, and it is still active with LE.

I know special patrols were sent to search for her on each shift, there were many many ground searches, including horseback, something a little unusual here in Connecticut, there were plane searches and many tips were received and followed up on from all over the country. Even a psychic horse was tried at one point.

do they have any strong leads besides miss x and is anyone doing anything to find those remains of miss x

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast