Terri tries to change her name for a second time.

This is the second time Horman has filed to legally change her name. On August 4, a Douglas County judge rejected Horman's request to be known as Claire Sullivan.
Audio: Terri Horman talks at 1st name-change hearing

I don't understand ... can she just keep petitioning judges in different counties until one says yes? Do you have to be a resident of the county you file the petition in?

I'm not a fan by any means and think she's guilty as all get-out but I thought anyone could change their name anytime provided they paid the dues and filed the proper paper-work. I didn't know a judge could 'reject' the application and I would like to know the judge's reason for rejection ... she's not a convicted murderer yet. Maybe the laws are different there or maybe I don't know squat (more likely lol). Off I go to research.

ok, so I think I was right ... it appears to be a pretty simple process here

Q. Why "Claire Kisiel?"
A. On Horman's name-change request, she states that Kisiel was her last name at birth.

As a side note, Moulton was the last name she took on when she was adopted. She changed her last name to Horman when she married Kaine Horman, Kyron's dad, in 2007. Kaine and Terri Horman's divorce was finalized in December 2013, more than six years after they married.

As for why she wants her first name to be Claire, she appears to like the name. Back at an August hearing in Douglas County, she asked a judge to change her name to "Claire Stella Sullivan."

Q. What happened at that hearing?
A. Horman said she needed a new name "to start over a new life without having the stigma of Horman attached to it." She said she hadn't been able to find a job in the past four years. She also said her life had been threatened, and she was worried about her safety.
Circuit Judge Randolph Lee Garrison denied Horman's attempt.

"Your connection to the Kyron Horman disappearance is something of great public interest," Garrison said. "There are folks that say that you have nothing to do with it. There are others that think that you have.
"As long as this matter remains unsolved, unresolved and until more information is given by you about that, it doesn't seem to be in the public's interest to change your name,'' Garrison said.

Q. Why try again?
A. State law requires judges to approve name changes, unless a judge "finds that the change is not consistent with the public interest." So perhaps Horman has come up with new reasons for the name change.
Or -- because the law does rely on an individual judge's discretion of what's in the public's interest -- maybe Horman wants to try again with a fresh set of eyes considering her request.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...m-tries-to-change-name---again-284467531.html

Much more at link~

alright so the judge said it wasn't in the public interest when he turned down her first request and now she is re-applying and the last name she is requesting is her maiden name so maybe she has a better chance

I don't necessarily disagree withe the judge - I'm just surprised it's seemingly so difficult to do down there

thanks Knox! that link was incredibly informative

alright so the judge said it wasn't in the public interest when he turned down her first request and now she is re-applying and the last name she is requesting is her maiden name so maybe she has a better chance

I don't necessarily disagree withe the judge - I'm just surprised it's seemingly so difficult to do down there

"In the best interest of the public", seems broad. She hasn't been charged, but she hasn't been eliminated as a POI in Kyron's disappearance either.

Lane County may be a little more liberal than Douglas County. Maybe she thinks another judge will see it differently.

I'm most curious about her change of address. Did she finally find a job and can support herself? Or did some of those divorce assets finally get liquidated?

Interesting that TH knows her birth surname. I wonder where "Sullivan" came from. AND, I wonder how her parents feel about her changing her last name to her birth name. She is a puzzle....but, she has control over how the public views her, IMO...MOO....:thinking:

Not her maiden name. Her birth name.

Didn't she say she came from a wealthy family?

For the fun of it, I googled Kisiel and came up w/ the polish translation: "Latest word suggestions by users: dalliance, copperhead, crackpot, crackpot, crackpot" - LOL.

I'm not a fan by any means and think she's guilty as all get-out but I thought anyone could change their name anytime provided they paid the dues and filed the proper paper-work. I didn't know a judge could 'reject' the application and I would like to know the judge's reason for rejection ... she's not a convicted murderer yet. Maybe the laws are different there or maybe I don't know squat (more likely lol). Off I go to research.

I don't understand this either? If Question Mark, (of Question Mark and the Mysterians), Can change legally to ? Mark, and he did, he's a friend of mine. Why can't she? I need to google too LOL.

Interesting that TH knows her birth surname. I wonder where "Sullivan" came from. AND, I wonder how her parents feel about her changing her last name to her birth name. She is a puzzle....but, she has control over how the public views her, IMO...MOO....:thinking:

Yep Yep! I loved the copperhead one hehe!

It typically is very easy to change one's name. But she is not an average person. Although the police won't say it, it's clear she is a suspect in the disappearance and probable murder of a child and she won't give information that could help to find him. So she is the very rare case that can be denied as against the public interest. And I'm happy about that.

Btw, she has withdrawn her latest request.

After Terri Horman applied for a name change in Lane County Circuit Court, opponents circulated on Facebook a petition to challenge it, gaining more than 3,000 signatures.

A week ago, Kyron's mother Desiree Young wrote on the Facebook post: " I don't want her to be able to change her name so she can hide from law enforcement easier. She shouldn't be able to change her name until she clears herself and tells us where Kyron is so we can bring him home. Providing answers to us will give us some measure of peace.'

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2014/12/terri_horman_withdrew_petition.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back