GUILTY MO - Zemir Begic, 32, beaten to death, St Louis, 30 Nov 2014

noZme

Reaction score
Sad & senseless!

St Louis MO: Begic was in his car when several juveniles came up on foot and began to strike the car. Begic got out and the four suspects began yelling at him and hitting him with hammers. After the assault, the four ran away. Zemir Begic was struck on the head, face, mouth, and abdomen. He was transported to St Louis University Hospital where he died.

Mr Begic had been married just 6 months.

Three of the four are in custody today & it looks like they will be charges as adults. (Good thing, IMO, beating a stranger to death with a hammer, is not a childhood activity.)

http://nypost.com/2014/12/01/teens-savagely-beat-man-with-hammers-in-random-attack/

http://fox2now.com/2014/11/30/man-dies-after-being-struck-by-hammers/

<modsnip>

http://fox2now.com/2014/12/02/famil...to-death-by-teens-with-hammers-wants-justice/

Thanks for starting this, this is such a tragic and senseless crime.

There was another Bosnian young man that was attacked earlier the same day by young black males with claw hammers. I will try and find that link again. I am not sure if it was the same group of attackers though.

I give up trying to copy paste. Thanks to whichever mod got rid of the code artifacts for me. :blowkiss:

Sent from Tapatalk

No need for a permit to either purchase or carry a claw hammer, although it can easily be used a a weapon instead of a tool.

Does anyone think the four guys were simply walking home from their carpentry jobs when this man suddenly jumped in front of their tools?

My own post from another thread:
Could he have jumped out to see the damage to his vehicle? Maybe Zemir's background led him to think he could have a conversation "Why are you smashing my car? Please go away & leave us alone!" Surely he did not expect a gang of marauding young thugs to beat him to death with their hammers. Is it true he was visiting StL for the holiday? Maybe he had not been informed about
whose streets - our streets.

Apparently, his ethnicity or beliefs did not matter. It was a crime of opportunity & availability just like the businesses that were burned & looted recently.

This is America?

If you look for discussions out there by people local to the area, you'll get a big picture of the history and social dynamics of the community.

I'll look for a link, but apparently, it's a small, closely knit community of Bosnian immigrants (I assume all are aware of their tragic history).

They have been complaining to authorities about dramatically increasing violent assaults on persons, although other non-personal crimes have gone down.

LE is not calling it a hate crime yet, but taking some blame for not having enough LEOs to cover that area while they deal with the protests.

Does anyone know how close this neighborhood is to Ferguson? I read a local say very close, but I don't know for sure.

Sent from Tapatalk

It wasn't a car-jacking and nothing was stolen, not a robbery.

I'm afraid if we focus on why it's not being called racial, we'll get people offended and alerting on the thread, creating more work for the Mods, and then get shut down.

I don't think the tensions between the groups can be denied, and other threads have hashed over the race issues pretty thoroughly before it got closed.

Maybe we can keep following the case here if we focus on the general atmosphere and events without getting into the R word? People can observe for themselves and come to or stick with their own conclusions about things that aren't well tolerated in discussions.

(Just my thoughts. I could be wrong, of course. I'm gun shy about losing our group! :grouphug:)

Sent from Tapatalk

Daily Mail....

EXCLUSIVE: Bosnian immigrant murdered by teenagers wielding hammers was victim
of 'targeted killing' says fiancée whom he saved from mob who surrounded car in St Louis

The fiancée of a Bosnian man beaten to death in a hammer attack in St Louis has claimed that it was a targeted killing - but not because of his race.

Arijana Mujkanovic said that Zemir Begic was murdered because of a row with her mother's ex-boyfriend a few weeks ago which led to the 'set up'.
---

If you look for discussions out there by people local to the area, you'll get a big picture of the history and social dynamics of the community.

I'll look for a link, but apparently, it's a small, closely knit community of Bosnian immigrants (I assume all are aware of their tragic history).

They have been complaining to authorities about dramatically increasing violent assaults on persons, although other non-personal crimes have gone down.

LE is not calling it a hate crime yet, but taking some blame for not having enough LEOs to cover that area while they deal with the protests.

Does anyone know how close this neighborhood is to Ferguson? I read a local say very close, but I don't know for sure.

Sent from Tapatalk

Ferguson is roughly 18 miles away from this area.

I actually lived in the Bevo area some as a child. It's a nice area but not as safe as some. There have been some Bosnian gang issues in that area for the last 10 ish years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief Dodson also says the killers didn't know the victim.

The wife says, 'At first I thought it was the wrong place at the wrong time but after I've had time to think about it I really think it was set up.'

She says there was a previous row with a boyfriend of her mother and thinks he set up the hit, because they didn't attack her - just him.

The whole story is a mess. Much left to clarify.

One thing in the article does help answer the "Why did he get out of the car and confront them" question from the other thread. She said he was well trained in martial arts. She was surprised he got overpowered. She wants this to be about her husband and not get mixed with other issues.

Locals don't believe it. Say she might be afraid or encouraged not to inflame tensions. That this is a trend, even if this truly was an outlier. And why get those youth to do it. Why with hammers.

Here comes the migraine. :eek:hdear:

Sent from Tapatalk

No need for a permit to either purchase or carry a claw hammer, although it can easily be used a a weapon instead of a tool.

Does anyone think the four guys were simply walking home from their carpentry jobs when this man suddenly jumped in front of their tools?

My own post from another thread:
Could he have jumped out to see the damage to his vehicle? Maybe Zemir's background led him to think he could have a conversation "Why are you smashing my car? Please go away & leave us alone!" Surely he did not expect a gang of marauding young thugs to beat him to death with their hammers. Is it true he was visiting StL for the holiday? Maybe he had not been informed about
whose streets - our streets.

Apparently, his ethnicity or beliefs did not matter. It was a crime of opportunity & availability just like the businesses that were burned & looted recently.

This is America?

He probably thought they were only out to damage his car, never dreaming that they'd turn their weapons on him if he got out to confront them. What a brutal crime.

[h=1]St. Louis Bosnians on Edge After Hammer Death[/h]http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/st-louis-bosnians-edge-hammer-death-27305854

Good photo of them during the protest last night. I followed it on a reporter's twitter... very peaceful. They got out of the street when LE told them to and the one guy told him, we aren't going to burn down the neighborhood we built.

From all I've read, they did work hard and carved out a very attractive neighborhood.

Sent from Tapatalk

From all I've read, they did work hard and carved out a very attractive neighborhood.

Sent from Tapatalk

I lived in that neighborhood roughly 20 years ago and IMHO it has gone to chit in the last 12 years or so. It was once a place where I rode my bike around and walked back and forth to school alone.

My teen daughter has a friend that currently lives in the neighborhood and its really not as safe as it used to be.

Lots of gang activity and drugs. This summer I got stuck behind a car driving down the street maybe 3 blocks from the attack selling drugs out of his window at 7am!! Moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back