1312 users online (257 members and 1055 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1100
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161

    Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #2

    I am opening this thread for discussion of the wrongful death suit filed on the 13th. Please stay on topic. Please do not bicker or derail the thread with information that is not pertinent.

    Thanks,

    Salem

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161
    Here are the posts from the County Lawsuit thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca View Post
    (Since WDS thread is closed, am posting this here)
    WDS has been refiled in Superior Court State of CA

    Greer & Associates
    Gaston & Gaston
    Attorneys for Plaintiffs,
    REBECCA ZAHAU, deceased,
    ROBERT ZAHAU, deceased,
    ESTATE OF REBECCA ZAHAU,
    ESTATE OF ROBERT ZAHAU,
    MARY ZAHAU-LOEHNER,
    and PART Z. ZAHAU

    SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA
    COUNTY OF SAN DIEGO

    […] EQUITABLE TOLLING
    4. On July 12, 2013, one day prior to the two-year statute of limitations expiring on claims arising from the July 13, 2011 murder of Rebecca Zahau, Plaintiffs filed an action against Defendants ADAM SHACKNAI, DINA SHACKNAI, NINA ROMANO and DOES 1 through 50, in the United States District Court, Southern District of California (Case Number:13-CV-1624-W-NLS) based on diversity jurisdiction over the first cause of action (wrongful death) pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1332 and supplemental jurisdiction over the second cause °faction (assault and battery), third cause of action (negligence) and fourth cause of action (conversion) pursuant to 28 U.S.C. § 1367 (collectively, the "survival actions").

    5. On November 12, 2013, the District Court dismissed the federal action without prejudice.

    6. Therefore, the statute of limitations for all causes of action of the named Plaintiffs arising from the murder of Rebecca Zahau are tolled under the doctrine of equitable tolling to this date, November 13, 2013. Thus, this action is timely filed.

    DEMAND FOR JURY TRIAL
    7. Plaintiffs demand a jury trial.

    37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL
    https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces/CaseSearch.xhtml

    entry date: 11/14/2013
    Civil Case Management Conference scheduled for 08/01/2014 at 10:30:00 AM at Central in C-67 William S. Dato.
    Quote Originally Posted by bourne View Post
    Zahau lawyer Greer had REFILED WDS in Superior Court of San Diego, CA on 11/14/2013.

    Statute of limitations has been "tolled" on basis of *Equitable tolling*.

    37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL
    https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces/CaseSearch.xhtml

    So the WDS proceeds. Case management conference is scheduled for Aug. 1, 2014 with Judge William S. Dato.

    So long defendants. Good riddance. Hope you get CP and not just

    JUSTICE for REBECCA ZAHAU and her family.
    Quote Originally Posted by kittychi View Post
    So happy about this. But what does "case management conference" mean? August 1??? The wheels of justice sure move slowly. But it will allow the defendants time to get their personal affairs in order before they are taken away.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Holmes View Post
    I just noticed that.... hopefully it means January 8th 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Holmes View Post
    Judge William S. Dato is very respected

    http://www.therobingroom.com/califor...e.aspx?id=3318
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    I'm hopeful we will be able to have a new thread for this newly filed case. Until then, I thought I'd post the entire re-filed Wrongful Death civil suit pdf here:

    14 pages

    Attachment 38960
    Quote Originally Posted by kittychi View Post
    Thank you for posting that, K_Z. I know we have discussed here the mention in the suit that Rebecca's parents were dependent on her for some level of support. The phrase that strikes me is that plaintiffs are entitled to funeral and burial costs. The LHK troop would have you believe that Jonah paid for the entire thing.

    Also...reading through this document, plus earlier today I read Dr. Bove's report on Max--when I stand back and look at the big picture, I see Dina's entire play to re-open Max's case as nothing but smoke and mirrors to distract from looking directly at her for clues in Rebecca's death. I know this sounds harsh, but I cannot help considering that Dina exploited her son's death to shield herself. I hope I am wrong, but IMO it has this appearance.

    Sorry, Salem, I know I am OT, I don't see a new thread yet for the refiling of the WDS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bourne View Post
    Am giving a shout-out and wave to Carioca for posting about the refiling of the suit first

    I communicated with AZlawyer. She says that the Addison case in CA will save the Zahau's claim for "Equitable Tolling". So I looked up the case.

    Here are more info, BBM, on what equitable tolling does with respect to the law and how it balances justice for the plaintiffs and defendants, and how it applies to the Zahau, Addison and other cases: http://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/a...lifornia-30505

    "We have previously indicated that the equitable tolling doctrine fosters the policy of the law of this state which favors avoiding forfeitures [21 Cal.3d 321] and allowing good faith litigants their day in court. [2b] As with other general equitable principles, application of the equitable tolling doctrine requires a balancing of the injustice to the plaintiff occasioned by the bar of his claim against the effect upon the important public interest or policy expressed by the Tort Claims Act limitations statute. (See City of Long Beach v. Mansell (1970) 3 Cal.3d 462, 496-497 [91 Cal.Rptr. 23, 476 P.2d 423]; Driscoll v. City of Los Angeles (1967) 67 Cal.2d 297 [61 Cal.Rptr. 661, 431 P.2d 245].)

    [1d] In our view, the balance in this case must be struck in plaintiffs' favor. If the tolling doctrine were not applied, plaintiffs would be denied a hearing on the merits of their claim. The doctrine's application, on the other hand, should not substantially undermine the policy of prompt resolution of claims. As we have noted, plaintiffs filed their state court action within nine months after their right to sue arose and by reason of the federal suit, defendants were fully notified within the six-month statutory period of plaintiffs' claims and their intent to litigate. Defendants were informed at all times of the nature of plaintiffs' claims. Any delay resulting from plaintiffs' original erroneous choice of forum was minimal. Unlike our decision in Williams v. Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority, supra, 68 Cal.2d 599 which raised the prospect of a 21-year tolling period, under the circumstances herein minimal uncertainty or delay could result when the limitations period is tolled during pendency of a timely filed federal suit subsequently dismissed for lack of jurisdiction."
    Quote Originally Posted by bourne View Post
    Kudos to the Zahau lawyers for making STRONGER and CLEARER statements about the culpability of the defendants in Rebecca's MURDER in this refiled WDS (BBM):

    "GENERAL ALLEGATIONS/ STATEMENT OF FACTS

    17. On or around the morning of July 13, 2011, Defendants ADAM, DNA
    NINA, DOES 1 through 50, inclusive, and each of them, conspired to plan, and did
    in fact, murder REBECCA ZAHAU
    in Coronado, California
    ."

    I like this plain, articulate, concise language, as I'm certain the new judge does too Excellent, Zahau lawyers!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161
    HEADS UP - Please stay on topic. This is the WDS thread. There is a media thread, which is NO DISCUSSION, and a thread for the County Law Suit to obtain information on the investigation.

    Be mindful of where you post or your post will disappear.


    Thanks,

    Salem

    ETA: I will also reopen the thread for Attorney questions and again, please stay on topic and ONLY ask questions of our verified lawyers (thank you so much AZLawyer!)

    Salem

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    6,064

    All documents filed in CA Superior Court

    Complaint:

    Attachment 38965

    Notice of Related Case:

    Attachment 38966

    Zahau notice of case assignment:

    Attachment 38968

    Zahau Stipulation to Alternative Dispute Resolution Process:

    Attachment 38967

    Zahau Notice to the Litigants:

    Attachment 38969

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    6,064
    Original summons:

    Attachment 38970
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    29,161

    Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #2

    Please continue here.

    Salem

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,481
    from LL2, previous thread:

    Nope, not weird at all. Just shows that Rebecca was the one using that room. No one else.
    But there IS other fingerprints, so she *wasn't* "the only one using the room". Was she.

    Can't have it both ways. The facts are: other people used the room (there's fingerprints!) and yet there's ONLY Rebecca's fingerprints on all the doors.

    Which is definitely weird.
    _____________
    Everything I have posted at this website, past or present, represents my opinion or my understanding of events based on facts that are publicly available.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    22
    I guess I just don't know what I'm allowed to talk about or ask questions about now. I don't say that to be snarky, but now that the posts were moved around I'm just confused.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,481
    ^ Anything to do with the wrongful death suit is okay. Discussing other posters/ way off topic (to RZ's case) stuff and the like isn't.

    Please don't feel intimidated! Threads get closed when the old thread gets too long, is why is the other one is locked and this one got opened.
    _____________
    Everything I have posted at this website, past or present, represents my opinion or my understanding of events based on facts that are publicly available.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,395
    How can it be explained that AS' DNA was not on the ropes if he was the one who got her down?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,481
    Well, a comeback for that would usually go "they didn't test ALL the rope!"

    Of course they didn't. That would entail thorough and correct policework.
    _____________
    Everything I have posted at this website, past or present, represents my opinion or my understanding of events based on facts that are publicly available.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,678
    ^ Exactly. If you look at all the info released to the public, imo any evidence that may support murder was either not tested or fully investigated. Items in the room, phone records, DNA, blood samples, POI's, etc...Imo, Rebecca's death was not completely investigated. It doesn't matter how many detectives were on the case or how many agencies were involved if both theories did not receive a full investigation.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,678
    Welcome EVLizzel

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    22
    Is there any reason to believe that AS spent much time or had much of a relationship with DS or NR? When looking over what the WDS alleges, I think that what's get me the most, the level of conspiracy it alleges.

    Is it okay for me to speculate here?

    I guess the only scenario that involves all 3 to me and makes a lick of sense is that DS AND NR accosted/confronted her in the house, things got ugly quickly, RZ was choked out by one or both of the sisters and then AS was alerted to the situation/heard the commotion somehow and entered the scene, they maybe appealed to him for help by pushing the theory that RZ did in fact kill MS, and he helped them stage the bizarre scene to help them.

    All above isn't even an opinion, just a way for me to try to make sense of what happened if not considering suicide. I also just have a hard time believing only DS or just NR could have subdued her. I feel like it would have had to be more than one person if women.

  15. #15
    bourne's Avatar
    bourne is offline "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBECCA ZAHAU
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by EVLizzel View Post
    Is there any reason to believe that AS spent much time or had much of a relationship with DS or NR? When looking over what the WDS alleges, I think that what's get me the most, the level of conspiracy it alleges.

    Is it okay for me to speculate here?

    I guess the only scenario that involves all 3 to me and makes a lick of sense is that DS AND NR accosted/confronted her in the house, things got ugly quickly, RZ was choked out by one or both of the sisters and then AS was alerted to the situation/heard the commotion somehow and entered the scene, they maybe appealed to him for help by pushing the theory that RZ did in fact kill MS, and he helped them stage the bizarre scene to help them.

    All above isn't even an opinion, just a way for me to try to make sense of what happened if not considering suicide. I also just have a hard time believing only DS or just NR could have subdued her. I feel like it would have had to be more than one person if women.
    I disagree strenuously that Dina or Nina could not *alone* have physically subdued Rebecca. Both Dina and Nina are gigantic size relative to Rebecca. Remember Dina and Nina are 5'9" and weight over 185 lbs each. Rebecca was *tiny*, petite, 5'1", 100 lbs only. Compare the physical sizes alone. Dina *alone* could physically subdue Rebecca especially if Rebecca was in a vulnerable position to begin with. E.g., Rebecca might have been in the shower, naked with her back to Dina or Nina as either one approached her from behind. With the water running, Rebecca would not have heard anyone creep up on her.

    It is an empirical fact that irrespective of one's physical size, circumstances alone could allow anyone of any size to physically subdue another.

    Here's another example. Perhaps Rebecca was already asleep in bed. Dina or Nina creeps in to a dark bedroom and jumps atop Rebecca. How easy would that be for either twin to physically subdue Rebecca?

    Here's a different but a highly probable scenario. *Both* twins physically subdued Rebecca either while she was showering or sleeping.

    As to Adam, at some point, he might have been recruited to throw Rebecca's unconscious body over the balcony railing in order to hide the fact that she had already been strangled to death by one or both sisters or with noose. Remember all three defendants (Dina, Nina and Adam) have sailing and special knot tying experience. Rebecca didn't. So we can eliminate Rebecca from having tied complex knots on herself. Hence, Rebecca was viciously and gruesomely murdered by Dina, Nina and probably Adam brought in to stage crime scene.
    "The truth shall set you free." ~JUSTICE FOR REBECCA ZAHAU

Page 1 of 74 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #5
    By bessie in forum Rebecca Zahau Nalepa
    Replies: 452
    Last Post: 08-16-2016, 04:28 PM
  2. Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #4
    By bessie in forum Rebecca Zahau Nalepa
    Replies: 1069
    Last Post: 03-17-2016, 03:32 AM
  3. Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #3
    By Salem in forum Rebecca Zahau Nalepa
    Replies: 2097
    Last Post: 10-13-2015, 11:45 PM
  4. Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California
    By Salem in forum Rebecca Zahau Nalepa
    Replies: 1223
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Tags for this Thread