One hundred brains stolen in Texas

zwiebel

Reaction score
A collection of one hundred brains stored in a basement at the University of Texas have gone missing.

'Professor Tim Schallert, co-curator of the University of Texas collection, said he and colleagues thought the specimens had been stolen but "we don't know at all for sure". '

The brains were stored in the basement of the animal resources center when they were given to the university by a hospital 28 years ago, as professors didn't have room for them in their labs. They speculate they may have been taken as a student prank.

I hope LE in the area have been informed, otherwise I can see a lot of their time and resources being wasted if human brains begin turning up in unusual places.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-12-03/100-brains-go-missing-from-american-university/

We had that many? :drumroll:

There is no accountability on facilities or even individual physicians as far as storing organs or tissue. I worked in a neurosurgery clinic and in the physicians' bathroom there was this white container (large) and when I was cleaning and straightening up I wanted to know what was in it, if it was trash or something I was going to throw it away.

A brain. A BRAIN in formaldehyde. In a bathroom. I told the chief of the department (and it was his) if he didn't take it somewhere by the end of the day, I was calling the administration the following day. I just feel it's so disrespectful to the deceased, I made a whole-body donation of my mother's body for research purposes and I'd be pretty upset to hear her brain was stored in someone's bathroom.

Wow! I hope they turn up soon. I could certainly use one!

A collection of one hundred brains stored in a basement at the University of Texas have gone missing.

'Professor Tim Schallert, co-curator of the University of Texas collection, said he and colleagues thought the specimens had been stolen but "we don't know at all for sure". '

The brains were stored in the basement of the animal resources center when they were given to the university by a hospital 28 years ago, as professors didn't have room for them in their labs. They speculate they may have been taken as a student prank.

I hope LE in the area have been informed, otherwise I can see a lot of their time and resources being wasted if human brains begin turning up in unusual places.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-12-03/100-brains-go-missing-from-american-university/
BBM​ Clearly, without their brains they can't remember where they placed them.

I think I heard on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me! that they figured out they were thrown away ten years ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back