Canada - Liana White, 29, Edmonton AB, 12 July 2005 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than 40 search-and-rescue volunteers are helping Edmonton police expand their search for a pregnant woman who disappeared on her way to work five days ago.

Liana White, a 29-year-old woman who is married with one daughter, disappeared without a trace on Tuesday.

The volunteers joined the police on Sunday to look through ditches, bushes and open fields near the woman's house. Sniffer dogs were also being used.

"If they come across evidence or a crime scene they know what to do and they're just here as trained individuals wanting to help out," Edmonton police spokesman Adrian Marr said.

The police, who have assigned more than a dozen detectives to the case, said it is baffling.

Marr said that so far, they're treating White's disappearance as a missing person's case, not a criminal matter. No evidence of foul play has been uncovered.

White left for work early Tuesday morning. Her SUV was found abandoned with the driver's door open in a park about two kilometres from her house.

Her wallet, keys, cellphone and shoes were found scattered in and around the vehicle. There were no signs of violence nor a struggle.

Police spokesmen have said her husband, Michael White, is not a suspect.

They also said there are discrepancies between the time he said she left home and the time that witnesses spotted her vehicle.

Marie Olah, who regularly cuts across the lot where the SUV was found to get to the YMCA for her morning workout, told CBC News earlier this week she saw the vehicle with the door open before 6 a.m.

White told police his wife left home for work at 6:15 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/07/17/Edm-woman050717.html

From CFRN's 6 o'clock news

40 Volunteers( I believe Search and Rescue) worked 14 hours yesterday. They were back out this morning searching the area north and west of Liana's home.
Michael White was also out searching today.

I had just read the article in the Edmonton Sun about the serial killer possibly branching out. Interesting.I wonder how long ago it was that Prof. Jack levin talked to the Sun.... and if his opinion was published.

I made a big post in the other thread and when I hit post reply, it vanished! :(

Here are some picture that I took in the last couple of days. There are pics of the YMCA as well as the actual parking lot where the SUV was found.

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=25495321/t_=6625763

We drove around the neighbourhood where Liana lives, there is so much wild terrain there! hope they find her soon!

The people in my area are very concerned, we have searched our back yards, alleys, and even parking lots! I wish there was more we could do? when I think of that poor 2 year old child of hers :(

The media may not be covering this enough, but, Edmontonians are not going to forget Liana or her loved ones, we will keep looking for her!!!

Karmarama
The same thing happened to me - and then the article was already posted !!

The link does not work for me. Do I have to register ?

Thanks

Prof. Jack Levin's comments were published in the Sun on May 9th.

My 15 yr old daughter is going to look after my younger 2 so I can help Monday, Tues and Wednesday so far.... I know a detective on the case since I was 2 years old and not sure what I'm going to help with but something. I'll keep you all informed as much as I hear. He's not telling me anything other than the husband has cooperated to a large extent, but he uses the word "refusing" to go back on TV for now.

If I hear consistent rumors, I'll update. If any have questions, let me know.

I may just volunteer internally, I don't know. I'm a former researcher by trade and used to work with AB Government so they may have internal stuff for me. If that's the case, I won't be able to discuss it at all. Again, I'll let you know.

Jess,

I don't know if you have to register? the link works for me.
I can send you my password through pm's if you want?

Or, I can put them in my photobucket album?

Photobucket might be easier then you won't have to give out a password. Did you see the volunteers? were they wearing the yellow Search and Rescue uniforms ? My daughter belongs to S and R - but was volunteering at the Grand Prix.

Ok, I will try photobucket :)

No, I didn't see anyone searching at all!

The news said they were searching around 167th and 142nd yesterday. I imagine they just stretched out the parameters today.

Thanks so much. We have so much "green space' don't we ? How far do you think her vehicle was from the door or parking lot of the Y ?

Jess said:
Thanks so much. We have so much "green space' don't we ? How far do you think her vehicle was from the door or parking lot of the Y ?
Those are nice pics. It looks more rural than I thought it would be.

11 o'clock news reporting that a family member of Liana's has found a body! :( no further details.

I was called here and awoke from the phone. I was asked not to come in tomorrow. I was suppose to assist somehow. I am to assume it's Liana. :( :( :( :(

I was NOT told that it was her, just not to come in - in the morning. OMGOODNESS.

Horribly sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member