1448 users online (332 members and 1116 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post MN - Paynesville Late 80s Sexual Assaults

Eleven cases and counting... from [joy.the.curious] is a good summary of what has been tracked down by Joy Baker through research and by seeking out those who were assaulted or on whom assaults were attempted.

All the assaults took place in and around Paynesville, Minnesota during the late 1980s.

The following is a list of incidents from Joy's blog.

• March 9, 1986 – Attempted drive-by abduction of 12 year old boy near G&T Foods
    • June 1986 – Three kids playing hide-n-seek at middle school playground, Town & Country Days
    • August 1986 – By the river? At the middle school playground?
    • November 30, 1986 – Alley between the middle school and hospital
    • February 14, 1987 – Ben Franklin, downtown, 122 West James Street
    • Spring 1987 – By the river? At the middle school playground?
    • May 17, 1987 – By the hockey rink at the Catholic church, two boys riding bikes
    • Summer 1987 – By the river #2, camping incident, man spying on group of boys
    • September, 1987 – By the river #3, man in parka with orange lining, Lyndall Avenue
    • Late 80s or early 90s – Boy chased from middle school to his aunt/uncle’s house

Plus the one Joy details in the linked blog post to make eleven.

These assaults may or may not be associated with the case of Jacob Wetterling.
    What do we think? What do we know? What can we prove?

Does le have a similar list? I've heard rumors that these attacks do not comprise many victims, anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain1 View Post
    Does le have a similar list? I've heard rumors that these attacks do not comprise many victims, anybody know?
    I assume LE has a list of reported assaults. As Joy points out at her blog, quite a few of the incidents went unreported due to a child being chased, but not assaulted, so the parents blew it off.

How many assaults?

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain1 View Post
    How many assaults?
    I don't know off the top of my head. Have you read the relevant blog posts at Joy's blog? You can probably do the math as I think she notes when describing the incidents which ones were actually reported and which ones weren't.

Any MSM accounts?

Wetterling investigators take fresh look at similar cases
    Trisha Volpe, KARE 11:23 p.m. EDT May 14, 2014

Jacob Wetterling, then just 11-years-old, was abducted on Oct. 22, 1989, in St. Joseph. The case remains open. Earlier that year a 12-year-old Cold Spring boy named Jared was also abducted and assaulted not far from where Jacob was taken.

Jacob Wetterling abduction site focus of search
    Video report May 14, 2014

New Developments Revealed In Jacob Wetterling Abduction Case

May 14, 2014 10:00 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — There is a new development in one of Minnesota’s most infamous unsolved crimes: the abduction of Jacob Wetterling.

A masked stranger grabbed the 11-year-old as he biked home from a store in St. Joseph nearly 25 years ago. Now, WCCO-TV has learned that a cluster of at least six unsolved sexual assaults on boys were never looked at as a possible lead in Wetterling’s case.

[...]

This new development in Minnesota’s most notorious kidnapping case begins in the most unlikely of places.

WEB EXTRA: Read Joy Baker’s Blog

“The police chief is asking for the public’s help in finding this guy who has been assaulting 12-16 year old boys,” Baker said of one article. “What went through my mind is that they have to be connected. How many psychopathic pedophiles can exist in a 20-mile radius?”

WCCO-TV asked Patty Wetterling if she had ever heard of the Paynesville cases and showed her two of the original police reports from the Paynesville attacks.

“We did not know about these cases until Joy Baker put it on her blog, and it was like, ‘Wow,’” Patty Wetterling said.
    New London Blogger Suggests Link Between Wetterling Abduction, Paynesville Incidents
    By Jim Maurice May 14, 2014 10:30 AM

ST. JOSEPH – A New London woman has raised questions about attacks on children in Paynesville in the mid-1980s and a possible connection to the abduction of Jacob Wetterling. Joy Baker writes a blog called Joy The Curious in which she explores on-line mysteries and other topics.

Baker says, “there’s actually one case of a child abduction in Cold Spring, and that happened nine months prior. But, before that even, 1986 and 1987 there were these incidents of attacks on young teenage boys between the ages of 12 and 16. There were five cases that were reported in the newspaper and we’ve since found at least two more and possibly four more.”
    Abduction Victim Speaks Out On Wetterling Case
    May 15, 2014 6:45 PM

“I was told to run don’t look back or he would shoot,” Jared said.

His description of the kidnapper’s threat is almost identical to the one described by Jacob Wetterling’s friend, Aaron.

“He grabbed Jacob and told me to run as fast as he could or he would shoot,” Trevor Wetterling said.

For Jared, the weeks after the Wetterling abduction were filled with grueling interviews with law enforcement.

“They brought me to a point where I broke down, just mentally broke down. They wanted the answer and I didn’t have the answer,” Jared said. “My parents made that decision we should move.”

[...]

The Stearns County Sheriff’s Office is now actively investigating all of the Paynesville cases to see if they are connected to Jacob Wetterling’s disappearance.

If you have any information about the Paynesville attacks or the Wetterling case, please call the Stearns County Sheriff at (320) 251-4240. You can also call the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-THE-LOST.
    My post copied from the Jacob Wetterling media thread.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Has anyone spoken to le? There are rumors that these incidents all happened to two related children.

There is a thread about a missing child from Paynesville, Minnesota in the Missing section of Websleuths. He was Jackie Theel, age 6, who went missing on the first day of school, 5 September 1944. Below is a link to that thread.

MN - Jackie Theel, 6, Paynesville, 5 Sept 1944

LINK:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...le-5-Sept-1944

Thank you for bringing over those links, bessie.

Is anyone investigating these case?

These assaults are being investigated as part of the Jacob Wetterling investigation. There is a very active thread in the Missing but not Forgotten; 1980's section of WS. It is worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    These assaults are being investigated as part of the Jacob Wetterling investigation. There is a very active thread in the Missing but not Forgotten; 1980's section of WS. It is worth checking out.
    This thread was originally requested in that thread.

I meant authorites, not WS

Paynesville victims recount painful attacks in the years before Wetterling was kidnapped

http://www.startribune.com/paynesvil...ped/348576511/

“I felt like they abandoned us, like ‘who cares, you know, they’re a bunch of kids, they’ll get over it,’ ” Cole said. “But to tell you the truth, we haven’t.”

'Living in Paynesville then, with “a lurking, shadowy figure” on the loose, was terrifying, he said. The fear was made worse by the community’s indifference, he added. “I remember feeling like nobody would listen to us. Nobody was taking it seriously.” The school didn’t get involved, he said, and teachers said nothing.'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast