Coping with Crime Victimization

imamaze

Former Member
Reaction score

Anyone can become a victim of a crime. If it happens to you or someone you love, here are some important points to remember:

Being a victim of a crime can be a very difficult and stressful experience. While most people are naturally resilient and over time will find ways to cope and adjust, there can be a wide range of after effects to a trauma. One person may experience many of the effects, a few, or none at all. Not everyone has the same reaction. In some people the reaction may be delayed days, weeks, or even months. Some victims may think they are “going crazy,” when they are having a normal reaction to an abnormal event.

Getting back to normal can be a difficult process after a personal experience of this kind, especially for victims of violent crime and families of murder victims. Learning to understand and feel more at ease with the intense feelings can help victims better cope with what happened.

Victims may need to seek help from friends, family, a member of the clergy, a counselor, or a victim assistance professional.

Thanks for this thread ima! I highly recommend counseling. Without it, I don't think I would be coping today.

My daughter was raped by her x-husband not long after their divorce was finalized. She was brave enough to report it right away and is getting victim assistance. There is a criminal case pending for the sexual assault and kidnapping. What makes this even worse is that he also preyed on 2 16yo girls from his place of employment and was in disturbing sexual relationships with them. One of my daughters is close to one of those victims families and I have been speaking to her mother-they could not file charges because of the laws of consent in our state. This man is 38 years old and he met my daughter 12 years ago when she was just 16. I always KNEW this guy was a creep and he never participated in the family, never. My daughter kept us apart, built her life upon the dysfunctional even through she found the strength to divorce him, is still suffering from his brainwashing or unhealthy patterns. The sexual victimization with 16yo girls at work happened with at least one other girl during my daughters relationship with him.

I do not even know where to start or how to help her. She is irrational and crazy, her thinking is messed up. My thinking is messed up. There are so many hurdles to jump and it is so much harder than just reading about a case on websleuths or in the paper. Some days I seem to hold her accountable for it all, the mess because of her poor choices and how she never listened to me! She is doing so many things that are self sabotage, her thinking and choices. She is even leaving the children with me constantly while she works or is out looking for a new love interest. She is free from drugs and is not drinking too heavily-although I do think any drinking (and she is) is making her a weaker, more screwed up mess.

She is going to counseling through the victim assistance. She is a people pleaser and a secret keeper, so I think she is not disclosing everything and may be keeping herself in denial. It is all such a mess.
What help can I get to stay healthy and strong through this? How can I help her find her strength to be healthy and see this for what it is?

My prayers for all victims and their families. You must be strong and find stability to fight the good fight.

JMO

My daughter was raped by her x-husband not long after their divorce was finalized. She was brave enough to report it right away and is getting victim assistance. There is a criminal case pending for the sexual assault and kidnapping. What makes this even worse is that he also preyed on 2 16yo girls from his place of employment and was in disturbing sexual relationships with them. One of my daughters is close to one of those victims families and I have been speaking to her mother-they could not file charges because of the laws of consent in our state. This man is 38 years old and he met my daughter 12 years ago when she was just 16. I always KNEW this guy was a creep and he never participated in the family, never. My daughter kept us apart, built her life upon the dysfunctional even through she found the strength to divorce him, is still suffering from his brainwashing or unhealthy patterns. The sexual victimization with 16yo girls at work happened with at least one other girl during my daughters relationship with him.

I do not even know where to start or how to help her. She is irrational and crazy, her thinking is messed up. My thinking is messed up. There are so many hurdles to jump and it is so much harder than just reading about a case on websleuths or in the paper. Some days I seem to hold her accountable for it all, the mess because of her poor choices and how she never listened to me! She is doing so many things that are self sabotage, her thinking and choices. She is even leaving the children with me constantly while she works or is out looking for a new love interest. She is free from drugs and is not drinking too heavily-although I do think any drinking (and she is) is making her a weaker, more screwed up mess.

She is going to counseling through the victim assistance. She is a people pleaser and a secret keeper, so I think she is not disclosing everything and may be keeping herself in denial. It is all such a mess.
What help can I get to stay healthy and strong through this? How can I help her find her strength to be healthy and see this for what it is?

My prayers for all victims and their families. You must be strong and find stability to fight the good fight.

JMO

My heart breaks for you. :( If she is not being completely honest with her therapist, then the healing will be much slower, or not at all. God bless you for being there for the children.

I meant to move this to the discussion area the other day and got side tracked. Sorry about that. Now we can discuss away. :smile:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back