$7000 Reward--or How Can it Be Greatly Increased?

Reaction score
I think that was a very interesting point RichardLewis mentioned about finding a way to GREATLY INCREASE the reward amount.

Richard, would it be legal and ethical to offer a separate reward, as RichardLewis mentioned to just find SPECIFIC ANSWERS?

Thank you Richard for your post regarding the $7000 reward in the News thread.

I find it VERY INTERESTING that the re-mentioning about the $7000 reward seemed to strategically come out--RIGHT WHEN they needed info about finding the vintage station wagon!!

I have commented about this in another thread, but it is my personal feeling that this old $7000 reward origionally offered by WMAL Radio is being reinstated/honored for some specific reason relating to a tip offered back in April 1975.

If someone had offered information on or after 1 April 1975 (the date the reward was announced) which now leads to the recovery of the Lyon Sisters (as validated by MCP), then they could legally apply for the reward. That specific amount of $7,000 was offered in 1975 and MCP has asked WMAL if they will still honor the offer. WMAL has agreed.

This indicates to me one of two possible scenarios: Either a previous tipster has come forward or been contacted and has specifically asked about the reward OR MCP wants to use the reward offer to coax cooperation from someone (probably a tipster) whom they believe has information dating back to 1975.

WMAL could raise the amount if they wanted to, but probably not at the request of MCP, as that would indicate possible conflicts of interest or worse.

If MCP wanted to offer a higher reward for current/new information, they could have done that easily through their Crime Solvers tip program. If a child went missing today, a quick reward offer of $20,000 would be normal.

I might be interested in claiming this money. The car is a 1973-76 Ford Pinto Country Squire station wagon. The info on it's possible location (a warehouse in a different state owned by a collector) has been turned into the police. They are currently investigating.

These two pictures do not show the same car IMHO (although I wish they did.... I knew Sheila Lyon, lived near her on McComas Avenue). The gas cap in the first picture is on the left side, and the gas cap in the second picture is on the right side of car. Just saying.

Actually the gas cap is on the left side in both of the pictures.
The question is "graycat, what is it about THIS car that you think connects it to the Lyon sisters? So it looks like the same model car RAW1 is standing next to, however it could just be A Ford Pinto station wagon, not THE same one RAW1 is standing next to.

Actually the gas cap is on the left side in both of the pictures - correct

The question is "graycat, what is it about THIS car that you think connects it to the Lyon sisters?
So it looks like the same model car RAW1 is standing next to, however it could just be A Ford Pinto station wagon

A car matching this one has been found, it is currently being investigated.
The car I found has been in storage for over 30 years, and is currently owned by a collector.

The thing that is unusual about THIS car, is that their were so few of them, manufactured with this same option package, in that color.

The person that is standing beside the car, was the father of the suspected abductor.
It is believed that the two girls were abducted, taken to a different state, and raised by the Welch family.

Pieces of the puzzle drove investigators to Bedford - Virginia, to find bodies - none were found.
However, during this investigation, many other leads surfaced, which are being pursued.

I believe one of the girls is alive - although this has NOT been 100% proven.
She has denied, that she is the missing girl, but due to many common factors (age, birthday, facial comparison, voice match, and career choice), a DNA test may be required.
She has been living outside the USA for almost 20 years.

Actually the gas cap is on the left side in both of the pictures - correct

The question is "graycat, what is it about THIS car that you think connects it to the Lyon sisters?
So it looks like the same model car RAW1 is standing next to, however it could just be A Ford Pinto station wagon

A car matching this one has been found, it is currently being investigated.
The car I found has been in storage for over 30 years, and is currently owned by a collector.

The thing that is unusual about THIS car, is that their were so few of them, manufactured with this same option package, in that color.

The person that is standing beside the car, was the father of the suspected abductor.
It is believed that the two girls were abducted, taken to a different state, and raised by the Welch family.

Pieces of the puzzle drove investigators to Bedford - Virginia, to find bodies - none were found.
However, during this investigation, many other leads surfaced, which are being pursued.

I believe one of the girls is alive - although this has NOT been 100% proven.
She has denied, that she is the missing girl, but due to many common factors (age, birthday, facial comparison, voice match, and career choice), a DNA test may be required.
She has been living outside the USA for almost 20 years.

The man standing next to the Pinto station wagon in the photo released by LE is the second POI in this case (Richard "Dick" Welch). He is the Uncle of the first POI in this case, (Lloyd Lee Welch), not his father. What makes you believe that LE thinks the Lyon girls were raised by the Welch family?

I have discovered that Richard “Dick” Allen Welch Sr. had a sister apparently called "Little Mae" that lived in the Dallas Texas area, she was distant from the family and no contact has been made in years.

This statement is half right.
There are two Mae's in the Welch family. Big and Little
Big lived in MD most of her live i think and the same for little until 2000's then little mae moved to TX. I dont think the Welch family has family in TX. Most of the Welch family is from MD and Va

Does anyone know if it is legitimate about the Washington Post comment that that reward is now "up to $17,000"??

Who knows what the CURRENT reward amount is up to?

Please provide link. Thanks.

graycat, do you have any further updates you can share?

At the bottom of the Washington post, the UP TO $17,000 reward is mentioned:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dc5a4c-b872-11e4-a200-c008a01a6692_story.html

"Anyone with information about the case can call Montgomery County police at 240-773-5070. A reward of up to $17,000 is available."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
elsewhere, I recall reading that the original around $7,000 reward by the radio station was recommited to, despite several changes in ownership.
I would guess that the $10,000 is from some Crimestoppers fund.
But the reward is mine when I figure out it out jogging around the area; just joking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ann-Margrock
Back