1004 users online (138 members and 866 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Peru: Greenpeace stunt damaged Nazca site

Peru to take legal action over Greenpeace stunt at ancient Nazca lines (Guardian)

Peru will seek criminal charges against Greenpeace activists who it says damaged the world-renowned Nazca lines by leaving footprints in the adjacent desert during a publicity stunt.

ďItís a true slap in the face at everything Peruvians consider sacred,Ē said Luis Jaime Castillo, the deputy culture minister, after the action by the environmental group on Monday, at the famed drawings etched into Peruís coastal desert, a UN world heritage site.
    ---
    the rest at link, with video

I can only shake my head in disappointment. Destroying the past does not bode well for our future.

i am i no way condoning greenpeace's vandalism but my country has a poor record of keeping archeological sites safe, they allowed the dakar rally (it was moved to southamerica) to pass over archeological areas, i think even over some of the lines but then money was exchanging hands so nobody complained, greenpeace did this for free that was the problem...