1383 users online (271 members and 1112 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    Little Jedi is offline "I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally" W. C. Fields

Red face

From ^^ link

Correctional service representatives were called before the judge to make sure Magnotta was brought to court on time in his own prison van, to avoid verbal abuse from other inmates. And he had to be returned to his cell in good time in the evening as well, the judge ordered.

The fact hes followed by a psychiatrist and prescribed drugs would seem at first blush to indicate that somehow somebody should think about not doing anything that could derail this trial, the judge said. I am very sensitive to this, but I cannot conduct a daily inquiry about it.

Psychiatrist Joel Watts was paid $26,000 to fly to Berlin and accompany Magnotta on the flight back to Montreal. Montreal police funded by taxpayers dollars footed the bill.

Total time working: 53 hours.
    " The more we learn, the more we discover how much we do not know. "
    Yoda

The defence let slip that a man police were unable to identify, who is seen entering and leaving Magnotta’s apartment on surveillance video after spending the night just one week before the killing, is currently in prison. According to Magnotta's lawyer, he’s also not a Canadian citizen. A few seconds of video of the man, gagged and bound to a bed, appears at the beginning of the video Magnotta uploaded showing parts of the attack on Lin.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...hear-1.2874042

Little Jedi is offline "I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally" W. C. Fields

Talking

Another exchange between the two went like this:
    Cournoyer: Mr. Leclair, you are treading on thin ice.

Leclair: I need a break.

Cournoyer: I need an answer.

Leclair: I cannot answer you at this moment. I dont feel I can answer your question. I need a break.

Cournoyer: I dont understand why. I have questions. I need to rule on them.

Leclair: I cant answer your questions and I cant stand here being cross-examined.

Cournoyer: Im just asking questions.

Leclair: I dont feel well.
    Yoda

As testimony was presented, the 32-year-old spent much of the time hunched over, with his forehead nearly touching his knees. But as legal points were being debated without the jury present, Magnotta was often sitting up straight, alert and attentive.

The contrast in behaviour was so evident that Crown prosecutor Louis Bouthillier pointed it out to the judge towards the end of the trial, saying Magnotta was "laying low" when the jury was in, but when jurors were out of the room, "his behaviour is very different."

Bouthillier wanted to ask the Crown's psychiatric expert about it in front of the jury, but Justice Guy Cournoyer indicated it was too late to introduce new material not included in the experts report.

In the jurys absence, the court saw a photo that may have been distributed online weeks before the crime was committed, allegedly to promote the video posted online and played in court which shows some elements of the killing.

The jury was not allowed to see the photo because the Crown decided not to include it in its original evidence.

"We pondered on that a long time, but we chose not to because we could not prove what we wanted to prove," Bouthillier said, adding it was impossible for investigators to determine exactly when the photo was posted online.

Defence lawyer Luc Leclair objected to the jury seeing the photo, calling it, "extremely incriminating."

"It proves first-degree murder," he told the judge.

The photo shows Magnotta wearing a purple hooded sweatshirt with a screwdriver in his hand, standing in front of a Casablanca movie poster that is featured in the graphic video.

Jury members were also unaware that Magnotta's demeanour changed when they were in the courtroom.

As testimony was presented, the 32-year-old spent much of the time hunched over, with his forehead nearly touching his knees. But as legal points were being debated without the jury present, Magnotta was often sitting up straight, alert and attentive.

The contrast in behaviour was so evident that Crown prosecutor Louis Bouthillier pointed it out to the judge towards the end of the trial, saying Magnotta was "laying low" when the jury was in, but when jurors were out of the room, "his behaviour is very different."

Bouthillier wanted to ask the Crown's psychiatric expert about it in front of the jury, but Justice Guy Cournoyer indicated it was too late to introduce new material not included in the expert’s report.

Exclamation The 'Trailer'

Photo promoting grisly video

In the jurys absence, the court saw a photo that may have been distributed online weeks before the crime was committed, allegedly to promote the video posted online and played in court which shows some elements of the killing.

The photo shows Magnotta wearing a purple hooded sweatshirt with a screwdriver in his hand, standing in front of a Casablanca movie poster that is featured in the graphic video.
    A photo of Luka Magnotta in front of a Casablanca poster holding a screwdriver was not entered as evidence.

The jury was not allowed to see the photo because the Crown decided not to include it in its original evidence.
    "We pondered on that a long time, but we chose not to because we could not prove what we wanted to prove,"

* Bouthillier said, adding it was impossible for investigators to determine exactly when the photo was posted online. *

* Wait... What.... ? *
    Well we know for a fact it was 'on-line' 15/16th May so clearly quite some time before JL was killed
    Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by redheart View Post

In the jury’s absence, the court saw a photo that may have been distributed online weeks before the crime was committed, allegedly to promote the video posted online and played in court which shows some elements of the killing.

"We pondered on that a long time, but we chose not to because we could not prove what we wanted to prove," Bouthillier said, adding it was impossible for investigators to determine exactly when the photo was posted online.

Defence lawyer Luc Leclair objected to the jury seeing the photo, calling it, "extremely incriminating."

"It proves first-degree murder," he told the judge.

I am very confused by this. LeClair admits that it is extremely incriminating and it's the CROWN who decide to exclude it? It was posted to youtube on May 15, 2012. How was that so difficult to prove?

I see LM is still pouty and whiny. How could he not expect to get bullied in the prison system? Should have thought about that before slaughtering an innocent man. It also appears that his lawyer is pouty and whiny as well. They were a good match I suppose.

MOO

Quote Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
    I see LM is still pouty and whiny. How could he not expect to get bullied in the prison system? Should have thought about that before slaughtering an innocent man.
    It also appears that his lawyer is pouty and whiny as well. They were a good match I suppose.

MOO
    OMG, no kidding......

Maybe Im getting tired, but I dont understand, Cournoyer would say, usually in his calm, respectful manner.

He criticized Leclair for wasting time, for not doing his homework and spending precious hours on trains of thought that led nowhere.

Ive heard about admissions three weeks ago and it seems like waiting for Godot, Cournoyer said once.

In response, Leclair would often stop mid-sentence and sit down in silence.

I dont appreciate that Ive been told Im pouting, he told the judge, reacting to a particularly harsh scolding.
    "

http://montrealgazette.com/news/nati...ring-the-trial
    Yoda

So now I wonder abut the Crown: why couldn't they prove when it was posted. It was the slam dunk of the case. So go through 2 months+ of trial???? For what??? Extra money??? Pfftttttt..... SMFH

Quote Originally Posted by matou View Post
    So now I wonder abut the Crown: why couldn't they prove when it was posted. It was the slam dunk of the case. So go through 2 months+ of trial???? For what??? Extra money??? Pfftttttt..... SMFH
    I know!! They keep talking about a "picture" but what about the fact that the "picture" was uploaded to youtube in a preview "trailer" video on the 15th of May, 10 days before the murder? Did the prosecution even know about his trailer when they decided not to use this piece of evidence?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/15...sanity-defence

The jury heard several examples of Magnotta's obsession with schoolgirl killer Karla Homolka but they didn't know he contacted Homolka's lawyer, Sylvie Bordelais, in December 2011 to receive professional advice.

That was six months before he killed Lin, and around the same time he e-mailed a British reporter to warn that a filmed killing was in the works.

Bordelais testified that she didn't give Magnotta any advice and that their discussions were covered by attorney-client privilege.

Christie always cuts right to the point:
    http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ors-didnt-see/

Quote Originally Posted by Kamille View Post
    I am very confused by this. LeClair admits that it is extremely incriminating and it's the CROWN who decide to exclude it? It was posted to youtube on May 15, 2012. How was that so difficult to prove?

I know! I keep rereading it, trying to see if there's something I'm missing...

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast