Deceased/Not Found CA - Jesse Work, 20, Hemet, 6 Feb 1959 *F. Kretz guilty*

Noirdame79

Amateur Sleuth
Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/438dmca.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/work_jesse.html

http://missingpersonsprofiles.blogspot.ca/2012/06/jesse-work-1959-hemet-ca.html

Given that his girlfriend was later found murdered, it's not unlikely that this young man met the same fate. The fact that no trace of him has ever been found makes you wonder where his remains might be, though. Since the alleged killer, Frank Phillip Kretz Jr confessed and led authorities to the body of Jesse's girlfriend Joyce Ramsay and gave information about the supposed location of Jesse's body, yet nothing has been found, is puzzling, to say the least.

Hoping that Jesse's remains will be found, that he can be given a proper burial and that his remaining loved ones can lay him to rest.

Frank Kretz was my step-uncle. Currently undergoing looking at court, trial, arrest and prison records to see if I can hopefully pinpoint where about Jesse is. I have a lot of information. This cold case is over 50 years old but bones and remains don't go away. Hope to one day find his remains so he can rest in peace.

Frank Kretz was my step-uncle. Currently undergoing looking at court, trial, arrest and prison records to see if I can hopefully pinpoint where about Jesse is. I have a lot of information. This cold case is over 50 years old but bones and remains don't go away. Hope to one day find his remains so he can rest in peace.

I'm glad to hear that someone is still looking for Jesse. Thank you for doing what you're doing. I grew up in the Coachella Valley and "4 miles north of Indio" is a pretty vague description... The area that I think of as "north of Indio" is a lot of desert with a few new residential constructions. The area was much less developed in 1950's however. Have you been able to locate maps of what the area looked like at that time?
Please keep us updated on your search.
Good Luck!

Not sure if @icusuern is still around.... it looks like that was the only time they signed in. I have been thinking about this case and decided to see what I could find regarding maps from the time and the history of the Coachella Valley/Indio.
In my first dive I found this link, which is a very thorough history, but some points of interest I found regarding the years that are relevant to this case basically tell us that there was rapid expansion happening throughout the valley in the years between 1950 and 1965.
For example; "Farm drain tile systems were increasingly installed, in December 1958 more than 400 acres of on-farm lines were installed and during 1959 the average was between 250 and 500 acres a month. "
Several country clubs and golf courses were also completed around 1959, but it seems that more development was happening at the west end of the valley (Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, etc.) rather than the east end, where Indio and Mecca are located.

Hello, My father was Jesse's 1st cousin, Bob Work. though I just learned about Jesse only about 10 years ago, I would like to follow this case for my family history documentation. Thank you for posting and continued investigation. I am Melinda (Work) Stuart now living in Blue Springs Missouri.

Not sure if @icusuern is still around.... it looks like that was the only time they signed in. I have been thinking about this case and decided to see what I could find regarding maps from the time and the history of the Coachella Valley/Indio.
In my first dive I found this link, which is a very thorough history, but some points of interest I found regarding the years that are relevant to this case basically tell us that there was rapid expansion happening throughout the valley in the years between 1950 and 1965.
For example; "Farm drain tile systems were increasingly installed, in December 1958 more than 400 acres of on-farm lines were installed and during 1959 the average was between 250 and 500 acres a month. "
Several country clubs and golf courses were also completed around 1959, but it seems that more development was happening at the west end of the valley (Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, Palm Desert, etc.) rather than the east end, where Indio and Mecca are located.
Jesse was not buried anywhere in Indio. He was shot and killed by Frank Kretz Jr after managing to jump out of the car somewhere between Hemet and Idyllwild on Highway 111. Kretz didn’t actually bury Jesse. He covered his body with leaves and then proceeded to Indio where he raped, murdered and buried Joyce Ramsey. Joyce was not Jesse’s girlfriend as some reports have stated. Joyce was a friend of Jesse’s Sister Louann. Jesse was giving Joyce a ride home after the party when they were ran off the road by Frank Kretz and tied up at gun point, kidnapped and later murdered. Jesse’s actual girlfriend Judith was pregnant with his only child at the time of his murder. Jesse’s daughter was born on February 12, 1959.

Jesse was not buried anywhere in Indio. He was shot and killed by Frank Kretz Jr after managing to jump out of the car somewhere between Hemet and Idyllwild on Highway 111. Kretz didn’t actually bury Jesse. He covered his body with leaves and then proceeded to Indio where he raped, murdered and buried Joyce Ramsey. Joyce was not Jesse’s girlfriend as some reports have stated. Joyce was a friend of Jesse’s Sister Louann. Jesse was giving Joyce a ride home after the party when they were ran off the road by Frank Kretz and tied up at gun point, kidnapped and later murdered. Jesse’s actual girlfriend Judith was pregnant with his only child at the time of his murder. Jesse’s daughter was born on February 12, 1959.
Do you know his family?

I meant Highway 74 not 111.

San Bernadino County Sun, 2 Dec 72, pg 11
1677013472206.png

Suzysunshine, are you family to Jesse? My dad was his cousin through Ace Work Sr family tree.

Jesse Alvin Work was my uncle .. he was murdered before I was born .. my father Bill Work was his brother …

I heard that Joyce was found but Jesse’s body was put where there is now a road or highway ..

Please keep me updated as one of my cousins in San Jacinto has a spot ready for his remains ..

In this case, logic leads us to confirm that Jesse is dead but what we are left with is that either he was murdered defending his girlfriend or he himself killed her and then committed suicide, perhaps she was pregnant...
either way
rest in peace

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member