Pakistani Taliban Attack School

Fairy1

VOTE!!!
Reaction score
(CNN) -- The scene was horrifying. Gunmen stalked through the school, shooting children as they cowered under benches and booby-trapping buildings with homemade explosives.

When the siege finally ended, Pakistan was left reeling and the world wondering: Who would do such a thing? And what do they hope to achieve?
The identity of the group behind the massacre at the army-run school in Peshawar is no mystery.

The Pakistan Taliban -- who have long conducted an insurgency against the Pakistani government as they seek to overthrow the authorities and bring in Sharia law -- were quick to claim the terror attack.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/pakistan-taliban/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I wasn't able to find a thread on this horrific atrocity. Did I miss it?​

(CNN) -- The scene was horrifying. Gunmen stalked through the school, shooting children as they cowered under benches and booby-trapping buildings with homemade explosives.

When the siege finally ended, Pakistan was left reeling and the world wondering: Who would do such a thing? And what do they hope to achieve?
The identity of the group behind the massacre at the army-run school in Peshawar is no mystery.

The Pakistan Taliban -- who have long conducted an insurgency against the Pakistani government as they seek to overthrow the authorities and bring in Sharia law -- were quick to claim the terror attack.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/pakistan-taliban/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I wasn't able to find a thread on this horrific atrocity. Did I miss it?​

It's a terrible terrible tragedy 132 children and adults shot dead and some saw their teacher being burned alive. How are the survivors going to cope after witnessing this horror scene. Unfortunately attacks like this are too common but I don't know what can be done to prevent them.

R.I.P to all those who have died and the survivors are in my prayers dealing with this atrocity in the months ahead.

It's absolutely horrifying that children cannot go to school in safety. These monsters need to be removed, preferably from earth itself.

It's absolutely horrifying that children cannot go to school in safety. These monsters need to be removed, preferably from earth itself.

If only this wish could come true. What have they achieved in carrying out senseless murder absolutely nothing apart from misery and terror.

Five posts since yesterday....

If this happened in the US, Aus or Canada, 132 children murdered at school, there'd be an absolute furore. :(

Pakistan clearly needs help getting rid of the Taliban. And the West needs to start looking at terrorism not in terms of Muslims vs Christians, but in terms of EVERYONE vs the Taliban (and all the other extremists). Ordinary Muslims are terrorised by these people too..

Some more of the horrors they've perpetrated in Pakistan:

The Pakistan Taliban are also against Western-style education for children and the employment of women. Most famously, their militants shot schoolgirl education activist Malala Yousafzai in the head in 2012 as she traveled on a school bus. She survived to receive a Nobel Peace Prize last week.

The school attacked Tuesday, which educates both boys and girls in separate classes, is the main school for the children of army personnel in Peshawar and employs both male and female teachers -- making it a desirable target for the terrorists.

Last year, choir members and children attending Sunday school were among 81 people killed in a suicide bombing at the Protestant All Saints Church of Pakistan. A splinter group of the Pakistan Taliban claimed responsibility for the church attack, blaming the U.S. program of drone strikes in tribal areas of the country.

"Their primary target is the Pakistani state and its military," Raza Rumi of the Jinnah Institute, a Pakistani think tank, said of the TTP after the Karachi attacks in June.

"It resents the fact that (Pakistan) has an alliance with the West, and it wants Sharia to be imposed in Pakistan."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/16/world/asia/pakistan-taliban/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The Pakistani city of Peshawar is burying its dead after a Taliban attack at a school killed at least 132 children and nine staff.

New images from the school show the brutality of the attack, with pools of blood on the ground and walls covered in pockmarks from hundreds of bullets.

Mass funerals and prayer vigils for the victims are currently under way.

Gunmen had walked from class to class shooting students in the Pakistani Taliban's deadliest attack to date.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif declared three days of mourning over the massacre, which has sparked national outrage.

He also announced an end to the moratorium on the death penalty for terrorism cases, which correspondents say is a move aimed at countering a view held by many Pakistanis that many terror suspects end up evading justice.

World leaders have also voiced disgust at the attack, which even the Afghan Taliban have criticised.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30507836

Glad they've reinstated the death penalty.. I truly hope they hunt down these sick monsters and hang them high.

At the scene: Mishal Husain, BBC News

It is a very eerie atmosphere. These are premises that should be alive at a time of day like this to the sound of hundreds of children who studied here and began school as normal on Tuesday. But it is desolate now.

The army has been working through the night to clear the premises of explosives.

I am standing now at the bottom of the white stone steps that lead up to the auditorium. There are blood stains running right down the steps and towards the auditorium itself.

There is a child's shoe on one of the steps. The auditorium, where children were taking exams, was one of the places within the school grounds that the militants first targeted.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30507836

:( :( :(

Award-winning NBC News Producer Mushtaq Yusufzai has reported from Peshawar, Pakistan, for years on militants, U.S. and Pakistani military activities, the scourge of polio and the plight of refugees. On Tuesday, the school his sons Jibran, 8, and Daniyal, 13, attend came under militant attack — and the news hit too close to home. This is his story.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pa...taq-yusufzais-sons-were-inside-school-n269831

Uniformed militants struck shortly before 11 a.m. local time (1 a.m. ET) when about 1,000 students — in grades one through 10 — and teachers were believed to be inside.

"We were standing outside the school and firing suddenly started and there was chaos everywhere and the screams of children and teachers," said Jamshed Khan, a school bus driver.

"The gunmen entered class by class and shot some kids one by one," one student who was in the Army Public School in Peshawar at the time told local media.

As the siege continued and Pakistani security forces battled to stop the assault, five "heavy" explosions were heard from the school at around 5 a.m. ET. Bombs planted by the attackers slowed rescue efforts, a military official said, and the massacre was not declared over until after 9 a.m. ET.

President Barack Obama slammed the attack and said America stands with the people of Pakistan and its government's efforts to fight terrorism.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/pa...ctims-relive-pakistan-school-massacre-n269011

Taliban releases pictures of the killers to Pakistani Govt ((WARNING, HORRIFIC IMAGES)) :(

Pakistani Taliban spokesman Mohammad Khurasani also vowed more attacks as he warned civilians to detach themselves from all military institutions.

In photos released by the group, between six and seven men carrying guns can be seen pictured in front of a white banner.

In one photo, the militants are standing with a local Taliban leader, AP has reported.

Mass funerals were underway today as the death toll rose to 148 after the body of the school's head Tahira Qazi, was found among the debris overnight.

There have also been reports that some of the female teachers were burned alive during the attack.

Army commandos fought the Taliban throughout the day until the school was cleared and all the attackers were reported to have been killed, eight hours after the siege had started.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ied-and-warn-of-further-violence-9930805.html

Seems they went in with bombs strapped to them -- suicide mission, and they're all dead.

Now, let's hope they hunt down the foul wretches who gave the order.

This is so heartbreaking. I don't understand why ...

peshawar-funeral.jpg

peshawar-funeral4.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ims-of-taliban-massacre-are-held-9929982.html

LAHORE:

With candles and rose petals in their little hands, children stood alongside adults at Liberty Chowk on Wednesday chanting Pakistan Zindabad. Five-year-old Christopher Khan was dressed in his school uniform. He said some children had been killed at a school on Tuesday but he did not know why.

Hundreds of people of all ages poured out into the streets to show solidarity with the families and victims of the Peshawar carnage in which 141 people died. Candle vigils and demonstrations were organised by civil society organisations, political and religious parties and students’ federations at several locations in the city. All schools and colleges held special prayers and walks to condemn the terrorist attack.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/808624/national-tragedythe-attack-in-peshawar-has-changed-pakistan/

Pakistan_2_2247020g.jpg

Beyond words... and to think this, and attacks like this, are supposedly a retaliation of sorts for not practicing Sharia law, but who in their right minds would want to practice their faith when it condones - at least in these terrorists' minds - the killing of innocent children. This certainly isn't going to win any hearts & minds.

Beyond words... and to think this, and attacks like this, are supposedly a retaliation of sorts for not practicing Sharia law, but who in their right minds would want to practice their faith when it condones - at least in these terrorists' minds - the killing of innocent children. This certainly isn't going to win any hearts & minds.

I agree. If a single good thing can come of this horror, it's that it might wake people up to what they're actually signing up for, when they join the Taliban.

Sadly, I think we're to see a LOT more horror, before Pakistan is free of these murderers.

This is so heartbreaking. I don't understand why ...

The Taliban is why.

They won't stop until every nation in the world is ground under their heel.

But that isn't going to happen, of course. They'll just keep blowing up buildings and slaughtering little kids and setting teachers on fire, and in the end it'll achieve nothing but misery and hatred. They're a collective insanity that needs to be removed from among us - all of us, in the world - like a dangerous disease.

For anyone interested in learning more about this group (i.e. history, leaders - past and current, associations...), this article has some great info:
10 things to know about Tehreek-e -Taliban Pakistan
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/taliban-pakistan-tehreek-e-taliban-peshawar-school-al-qaeda/1/407263.html

Thank you for that, NMS. Very informative. It seems the Pakistani govt may have sheltered those Afghani extremists, only to have it bite them hard in the *advertiser censored*. Just goes to show, the Taliban have no human feeling for anyone or anything, but their own hateful cause.

The hunt is on for the masterminds of this atrocity. Afghanistan and Pakistan appear to be agreeing that these men must be taken out... Perhaps another positive outcome, from all the horror. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, kind of thing... after so many years of strife between the two nations. An example of how terrorism brings people together, united against terror. The exact opposite of the chaos and abject fear the Taliban hopes for.

https://news.yahoo.com/pakistan-mourning-parents-bury-children-school-attack-052633701.html

The focus was on Army Chief Raheel Sharif as he visited Afghanistan, where the two sides - whose relationship is strained after decades of mistrust - discussed how to crack down on militants hiding on their common border.

A Pakistani source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the army chief had asked the Afghan side to help catch and hand over Pakistani Taliban Chief Mullah Fazlullah, who is hiding in the lawless mountains on the Afghan side of the frontier.

"It has been our long-standing demand," the senior military official told Reuters. "And if Afghanistan does not help us then we have other options, including the option of hot pursuit."He added the army chief went to Kabul with "incontrovertible evidence" that the attack was masterminded in Afghanistan.

"For example, we have intercepted calls to the suicide bombers in the school, instructions given using Afghan cell phone SIMs. We have all the evidence now. A full picture. And we've told the Afghans that we have options."

There was no comment from the Afghan side but another Pakistani source said Kabul had responded positively to Pakistan's requests and praised new Afghan leader Ashraf Ghani's efforts to cooperate more on security.

(Respectfully snipped)
"It seems the Pakistani govt may have sheltered those Afghani extremists, only to have it bite them hard in the *advertiser censored*."
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend, kind of thing... "
(^originally posted by Ausgirl)

This. Exactly. United in hate against a common enemy, until their targets became Pakistan's own children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back