Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
New court day, please continue to post here.

:coffeews:

Forgive me for saying this but Geffner deserves what Juan's about to do to his testimony! I hope we get to his cross-examination today! :happydance:

I wonder if Geffner was one of the many defense witnesses that wanted to testify in secret.

:seeya: Good Morning, Y'all !

:cheer: Day 17 Today ! It's a miracle : 3 court days in a row !

I will be checking in here for updates this morning: there's a very important hearing in the Holly Bobo case, so I will be here at WS covering that.

So if someone could cover my favorite WAT this morning, that would be great and much appreciated ! TIA !

I don't want to miss Juan, so do we know when Juan will tear Geffner to shreds ?

:juanettes:

To jump off a couple posts from sidebar, I thought I read Willmott had said she needed two days with Dr. Geffner for direct exam. Also remember though Juan is having trouble getting an interview and notes from him so if she does finish today there might be a slight delay.

I don't think Geffner will be as combative with Juan. He wasn't last time and he doesn't seem to have that personality. Plus, he's a man, so he probably won't see Juan as some abusive chauvinist who hates women.

ETA: never mind.

@TrialDiariesJ: Geffner will be on the stand all week, then Juan, and then 2 days for re direct #jodiarias #3tvarias

Call me when it's over.

Reading the testimony from the recent defense witnesses I keep thinking that all the info they get comes from JA whether accounts of her life or answers to test questions. I believe she is smart enough to answer the questions and shade parts of her life to convince them of her mental disabilities.
I believe her actions speak very loudly. She does not have low self esteem..she is a controller and manipulator. She may be suicidal and depressed, but what inmate is not? Look at her actions rather than her words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 15 @WildAboutTrial Dr. Geffner is expected to be on the stand this entire week. Direct should take about 2 days. #JodiArias

I think, unsurprisingly, the DT is making a big mistake by bringing on another lost in the fog/suggestions of child abuse from 12 to 14 tale, and the destroy Travis again strategy.

Weaving a whole tale of mental problems IMO would be far more compelling. The extreme defiance she demonstrated to her parents, culminating in dropping out of high school and moving in with a drug addicted boyfriend, the paranoia towards her parents she demonstrated after being caught growing pot on the roof, the succession of menial waitressing jobs she only held for a few months at a time, the hopping from boyfriend to boyfriend, the extreme anxiety she demonstrated in those relationships of being abandoned.

Then, Darryl as an exception. Daryl , a father figure. His life , a house , a child, was all a life she did not have to work for or create. That his extreme controlling behavior made her feel safe for a time because she didn't have to assume responsibility for herself. He didn't want her to be autonomous. That suited until her need for drama and to fulfil her more grandiose dreams trumped a suburban life.

Enter Travis. Take it from there. But....she would never allow such a mitigation case, because of her Achilles heel....her obsession with controlling how others view her. She murdered Travis to prevent him from revealing the truth about her, and now she's willing to risk the DP for the same reason.

I think the jury would find the truth more mitigating.

Good morning!

Remember the hearing on 11/5/14 where the media caught MDLR and CMJA yakking it up and Nurmi pitched a fit because he was convinced we are all lip readers that could interpret their conversation?

That day I took this screenshot: Dan.png

At the time, I wondered if this was Dan Freeman but another Websleuther identified him as Jodi's brother Carl.

Do you think he testified before/after Jodi or was there to testify but was one of the witnesses who refused to testify unless court was closed to the media?

Dr. Geffner's testimony yesterday reminded me that I had this--just one of those things that make you go hmmm.:thinking:

Dec 15 @WildAboutTrial Dr. Geffner is expected to be on the stand this entire week. Direct should take about 2 days. #JodiArias

I thought I'd read it. So Jen and wild are saying two entirely different things. :facepalm:

But I agree with a PP, if there is a any doubt on whether a witness will be quick or slow, bet on slow with this DT.

Good morning!

Remember the hearing on 11/5/14 where the media caught MDLR and CMJA yakking it up and Nurmi pitched a fit because he was convinced we are all lip readers that could interpret their conversation?

That day I took this screenshot: View attachment 65799

At the time, I wondered if this was Dan Freeman but another Websleuther identified him as Jodi's brother Carl.

Do you think he testified before/after Jodi or was there to testify but was one of the witnesses who refused to testify unless court was closed to the media?

Dr. Geffner's testimony yesterday reminded me that I had this--just one of those things that make you go hmmm.:thinking:

I don't think we know if anyone other than CMJA refused to testify in open court. I'm not taking Nurmi's word for it.

If Carl is a witness and refused, tho, it would have been because she asked him to pull that stunt, IMO.

I thought I'd read it. So Jen and wild are saying two entirely different things. :facepalm:

But I agree with a PP, if there is a any doubt on whether a witness will be quick or slow, bet on slow with this DT.

Excruciatingly slow! If I were on the jury, I'd actually resent it. Don't they understand that?

I think, unsurprisingly, the DT is making a big mistake by bringing on another lost in the fog/suggestions of child abuse from 12 to 14 tale, and the destroy Travis again strategy.

Weaving a whole tale of mental illness IMO would be far more compelling. The extreme defiance she demonstrated to her parents, culminating in dropping out of high school and moving in with a drug addicted boyfriend, the paranoia towards her parents she demonstrated after being caught growing pot on the roof, the succession of menial waitressing jobs she only held for a few months at a time, the hopping from boyfriend to boyfriend, the extreme anxiety she demonstrated in those relationships of being abandoned.

Then, Darryl as an exception. Daryl , a father figure. His life , a house , a child, was all a life she did not have to work for or create. That his extreme controlling behavior made her feel safe for a time because she didn't have to assume responsibility for herself. He didn't want her to be autonomous. That suited until her need for drama and to fulfil her more grandiose dreams trumped a suburban life.

Enter Travis. Take it from there. But....she would never allow such a mitigation case, because of her Achilles heel....her obsession with controlling how others view her. She murdered Travis to prevent him from revealing the truth about her, and now she's willing to risk the DP for the same reason.

I think the jury would find the truth more mitigating.

I agree it's a mistake to bring in a new prolonged fog like this. The jury will not buy that. No wonder she didn't want us to hear this. Who is going to believe she lost two whole years of abuse but remembered everything before and after that? And how would she even know it happened if she was in a fog? It's just a convenient thing to explain why she never brought this up before. "I must have forgot it happened."

Excruciatingly slow! If I were on the jury, I'd actually resent it. Don't they understand that?

I maintain they understand it but simply don't care. They're not under any delusions that they'll win over a whole jury (though I don't see why they don't at least try) so they're hoping for either too many jurors to drop out or for just one or two to buy all of it. But mostly they're hoping to lose too many jurors.

I'd think the defense had figured out that the longer they take, the more they lose the jury.

I'd be wrong I guess It is almost Christmas. The jury would love to be at work parties, preparing for the holiday, shopping, joining friends and family but the defense is dragging out this angle they're going for: Travis = bad, Jodi = good. I really think this type of repetition backfires badly in the long run
But I still think it's down to LWOP vs LWP based on her age, race, and gender

I agree it's a mistake to bring in a new prolonged fog like this. The jury will not buy that. No wonder she didn't want is to hear this. Who is going to believe she lost two whole years of abuse but remembered everything before and after that? And how would she even know it happened if she was in a fog? It's just a convenient thing to explain why she never brought this up before. "I must have forgot it happened."

Their approach is pure CMJA twisted- think. She's not accusing Bill outright. She would if she could. Too many experts didn't hear that from her, though, so she can't accuse him directly .

So, they slide it in the same way they do the pedo lie. Suggesting, hinting, concluding, all without saying. Her version of plausible deniability. But its a fail, IMO, both because it underestimates the emotional and logical intelligence of the jury, and because it once again points fingers rather than accepts responsibility.

There is a part of the COA opinion that came out yesterday that I think should give some of those who are worrying about this judge some comfort. She is highly aware of Jodi's and this defense's manipulations and she really is just ruling from a place of caution. She knew it was BS but worried a future appeals court might see it differently. I think that should ease some minds that think the judge is in the defense back pocket. She's no fool. She sees it all and then some. She just doesn't want Jodi to ever have a chance of getting her sentence overturned if she gets the death penalty. And she has the friggin patience of a saint. I'm sure she's just as over it as anyone else is. And I don't think any of this will help her if the decisions does go to the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes