974 users online (173 members and 801 guests)  

Websleuths News

IN - Antonio, 9, & Erik Lopez, 2, beaten to death, Dyer, 19 July 2005

An Indiana mother is under a suicide watch at the Lake County jail. She could face charges in the deaths of her two sons. Indiana police were called to the woman's home Tuesday night and found the bodies of her two little children, Antonio and Eric Lopez.

Prosecutors are expected to file two counts of murder against the mother sometime Thursday. She is expected to make her first court appearance Friday morning.

"She called 9-1-1. She called friends and relatives," said Chief Richard Quinn, Dyer police.

The boys' paternal grandfather had no comment at the police station, but he did share a poem written by the mother to her older son Tony. She writes, "I screamed for 17 hours to have you. Now I scream 17 hours at you. Where has the love gone? Why can't we get along?" http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/0720...dyer_kids.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Charges may be filed Thursday against the mother of two young boys who were apparently beaten to death in their Dyer home.

The children's mother was being held by police. Police said they are certain that she is the only suspect in the murders.

Dyer police said that when they arrived at the family's home on Cambridge Lane in Dyer Tuesday night, the 30-year-old mother met them outside.

Inside were the lifeless bodies of her two young sons, both victims of blunt-force trauma to the head.

Police believe both children were awake at the time of the incident.

Investigators said the beatings took place in several different parts of the home. According to police, the boys' bodies were found in separate rooms, both murdered with an unspecified weapon now recovered by police.
    http://www.nbc5.com/news/4745731/det...94&dppid=65192
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Magdalena Lopez, a Dyer mother who told police she "had to kill" her children, was charged Thursday with two counts of murder.

Lopez, 30, has been in custody since Tuesday night, when police found the bloody bodies of Erik, 2, and Antonio Lopez, 9, in their home on Dyer's north side.

Her husband, Robert Lopez, was at work in East Chicago.

"I had to kill them," she is quoted as telling Cinko. "They're in a much better place now."

She could not take care of them any more and believed they would be better off in heaven, she told police.
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...idsdead22.html

"I had to kill them," Magdalena Lopez, covered in blood and standing barefoot in her driveway, told police as they arrived at her home Tuesday. "They're in a much better place now."

After continued homicides of children across the state in cases involving the child protection agency, officials found themselves on the defensive this week.

Lake County's Child Protection Services agency received three phone calls in March and April about the children, said Susan Tielking, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Child Services. A caseworker visited the home twice and determined the children were not in danger, she said.

Tielking said the caseworker recommended counseling for the mother, which she was already receiving privately.

Emrich said the boys were overactive at times, which appeared to bother the mother. Still, he said, the mother did not seem to discipline them, even when Antonio once hit her with a branch.

"He didn't seem to mind her well," Emrich said. "But I never saw her lay a hand on either boy."
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...70/1006/NEWS01

A man whose wife is charged with fatally beating their two young sons with a 10-pound weight said they were a normal, happy family until she suffered a miscarriage about two years ago. http://www.nbc5.com/news/4758370/det...94&dppid=65195

What a sad story. Those poor little guys. Depression is a very serious illness, but now days theres no reason to go two whole years without treatment. If you can't handle the kids, its time to pack up and leave. I just don't understand why people stay living in conditions they just can't handle. It certainly isn't a crime or sin, to admit that you just can't handle life the way it is in your home. Wife abuse, child abuse, and a whole host of other horrible crimes would come to an end if people were just mature enough to move on when the situation gets out of control.

A public defender appointed to defend a woman accused of bludgeoning her two young sons to death said he would investigate reports she was mentally ill.

A Lake County magistrate entered a plea of not guilty Friday for Magdalena Lopez, 30, who is charged with two counts of murder.
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...53/1006/NEWS01

Two psychologists testified Wednesday that they believe a Dyer woman accused of killing her two children is competent to stand trial.

The hearing is set to continue Dec. 13. http://www.theindychannel.com/news/5182777/detail.html

update

Father of boys fatally beaten by mother asks judge for maximum sentence of 130 years

CROWN POINT, Ind. (AP) — The father of two boys fatally beaten by their mother a year ago with a 10-pound weight asked a judge on Monday to give her the maximum sentence of 130 years in prison.

"She showed no mercy or pity for my sons. I don't think she deserves any," Robert Lopez told Lake Criminal Court Judge Diane Ross Boswell.

Lopez said during tearful testimony at the sentencing hearing that Magdalena Lopez ruined his life when she killed Tony, 9, and 2-year-old Erik on July 19, 2005 at the family's home.

Lopez looked directly at his former wife and told her he had cried many nights thinking about what he would say when he saw her in court.

"Why didn't you take yourself? Or better yet, take me?" he said. "They had everything to live for ... I will never forgive you."

more at link
    http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/080...ntence_ap.html
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

OneLostGrl is online now I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Quote Originally Posted by georgiagirl
    Father of boys fatally beaten by mother asks judge for maximum sentence of 130 years

CROWN POINT, Ind. (AP) — The father of two boys fatally beaten by their mother a year ago with a 10-pound weight asked a judge on Monday to give her the maximum sentence of 130 years in prison.

"She showed no mercy or pity for my sons. I don't think she deserves any," Robert Lopez told Lake Criminal Court Judge Diane Ross Boswell.

Lopez said during tearful testimony at the sentencing hearing that Magdalena Lopez ruined his life when she killed Tony, 9, and 2-year-old Erik on July 19, 2005 at the family's home.

Lopez looked directly at his former wife and told her he had cried many nights thinking about what he would say when he saw her in court.

"Why didn't you take yourself? Or better yet, take me?" he said. "They had everything to live for ... I will never forgive you."

more at link
    http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/080...ntence_ap.html
    I am happy to see that the father of the boys isn't trying to excuse the "mother's" behavior.

Andrea Yates used the same excuse - "They'll be better off in heaven."

reading what the father said just breaks my heart. I cant fathom what would lead you to kill a peice of yourself. walk away, send them to relatives, get a vacation and a rest. those poor babies!
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

Magdalena R. Lopez

Plea - Guilty but Mentally Ill
    Sentence Date: 08/08/2006

Offense: 1st Degree Murder
    Sentence: 55 years

Offense: 1st Degree Murder
    Sentence: 55 years

The sentences are consecutive for an aggregate sentence of 110 years.

Earliest Possible Release Date: 10/28/2059

07/17/2007 - Sentence affirmed by appeals court.