CANADA Canada - Samuel Lottery, 17, London, Ont, 19 Jan 1996

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.police.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Newsroom/Unsolved_Crimes/2009317.htm
rbbm.

"On January 19, 1996 Samuel Lottery, 17 years of age, was reported missing to the London Police Service.

In March 1996, a letter was found at the "Pillar of Fire Church" located at 27 Gunn Street in London. Members of the Lottery family attended the church regularly. The letter contained information about Sam Lottery and included a photograph of him that was determined to have come from his wallet.

In November 1996, a second letter was received at the Lottery family residence in London. That letter also contained information about Sam Lottery and was written on the stationary shown below.

(modsnip)

Investigators do not believe this was a random incident. Information collected strongly suggests Sam Lottery was targeted by a person or persons known to him. Investigators believe more than one person has knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the murder of Sam Lottery. It is incumbent on those with knowledge of this homicide to come forward and speak with investigators. Although a number of tips have been received from members of the public, investigators require further detailed information in order to bring this matter to a successful conclusion and provide closure for the Lottery family, and justice for Sam Lottery.

Investigators are urging anyone with information about this homicide, to contact the London Police Service Major Crime Section at 519-661-5674, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or online at the London Crime Stoppers Website"

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2009/10/27/11539966.html

Who killed Sam Lottery
?
JOE BELANGER October 27, 2009

"He was a happy-go-lucky kid, a London high school student with a knack for electronics who liked to go to Jamaica with his family.

Like many teens, he also liked basketball and hip hop.

But one winter day, nearly 14 years ago, Sam Lottery never made it home.

First, the anonymous -- and ominous -- notes surfaced, suggesting his family search the river.

Then, bones starting turning up -- an arm bone found near the Thames River in 1997 and a skull in the river a decade later."

>>snip>>

"CASE CHRONOLOGY

Jan. 18, 1996: Sam Lottery vanishes, failing to return to his London family's White Oaks home. A missing person's report is filed.

February 1996: The first of two anonymous notes to Lottery's family surfaces, suggesting the Thames River be searched. Six months later, another note comes.

May 1997: A man walking his dog near Blackfriar's Bridge finds an arm bone. Police turn up more bones. Nineteen months later, after forensic testing, police say the bones were Lottery's and his case is declared "suspicious."

June 2000: His family buries Lottery's remains.

April 2008: A skull that turns out to be Lottery's is found in the river near Greenway Park, leading to more forensic testing.

October 26, 2009: Police say they believe Lottery was killed and have launched a homicide investigation."

Thank you so much for making a thread! I've wanted to post this info since I joined 2 years ago. I could cry right now. <3

Lengthy article, 2012

http://www.londoncommunitynews.com/n...ld-case-files/
rbbm

&#8220;There&#8217;s always someone out there with information,&#8221; Rektor said. And to coax people to come forward with a tip or new information, police often offer rewards of thousands of dollars.

But even without tips from the community, Rektor said sometimes just having a fresh set of eyes look at an unresolved case can help".

>>snip>>

" The unresolved murder cases the London Police Service are investigating include:

&#8226; Samuel Lottery went missing on Jan. 20, 1996. In May, 1997, a citizen walking his dog south of the Blackfriars Bridge discovered a human bone. Searchers found more bones and DNA testing identified them as the remains of Lottery.

See Whiterino...because of you there is now a thread set up for Sam. (Thanks dotr!)

Why did it take so long for them to find this suspicious?!

The way his remains kept showing up must have been heartbreaking for his family. Esp after putting him to rest "unwhole" only to have his skull appear 8 years later. Plus the notes. That is the really twisted part. And where was he murdered? Was he dumped in the river? Who saw him last? The only thing that would bring him to that area is the church. Someone knew his family worshipped there despite the fact that his family lived in a totally different area. That church is basically just northwest of downtown. His family lived in the S/E but Napier & Gunn are sort of N/E. Just barely though.

The school we both attended was in the east end of downtown. At that time we had school buses for kids out of the area. He would have likely taken one to go home or possibly gone downtown via public transport & transfered downtown. That still wouldn't bring him to the river or the church. I feel like someone lured him there or maybe a friend or church member? There were no cellphones in 1996 def not for teenagers. Unless he was murdered elsewhere & dumped. But why that particular part of the river? It's right under a bridge that ppl use to shortcut. Cars, dog walkers, cyclists, heavy traffic area.

Bumping for Samuel.

Yesterday (January 20th) will mark 18 years since Samuel went missing. I really wish there was more information available in this case. The notes that were left must contain some clues, or who was the last person to see him? Also wondering if someone killed him at the river or if his body was left there via a car from the Blackfriars bridge just above. Was any clothing or personal effects ever recovered?

There would likely have been some snow, footprints, blood would be likely more visible in contrast to the snow, the bushes & trees are bare, that bridge could only handle one car at a time & is a high traffic area with many backyards & houses backing onto the river & bike paths/walkways. Someone must know something.

Samuels' murderer has been walking around for 18 years with this secret. This person cannot hide forever.

If he wasn't killed at the river then he had to have been killed somewhere. Where was he killed & how did he end up in the Thames, so close to the family church? I feel like there is a connection to this church. Of all the places to put a body, what are the odds that Samuel ended up there? I also feel that this was not just a personal issue between Samuel & a bad group of friends. Someone wanted to hurt the family & Samuel was the "means" so to speak.

In my opinion, it at first appears to fit the "profile" of a stalker or serial killer. Taunting notes (from my understanding) tend to occur in serial killer scenarios. Especially when the letter points to where the body can be found. However, the letters were sent to the family home & church. Not sent to L.E. To me, that has a more personal, stalker type of feeling. Especially sending one to the church. The church that is only minutes from where Samuel was found.

However, there is the factor of the weather & conditions of the river at that time as well. It would be difficult to conceal a body with the ground frozen, but his remains were not found for months until the spring. Would all of those factors mean he was originally further up the river? I don't believe the flow is that strong considering more remains were found further downstream many years later. Time-wise, the locations are only about 30 minutes apart riding a bicycle along the river trail.

Also how was Samuel killed? If he was murdered somewhere else, where is that crime scene? How could one person 1) kill someone in public & walk away clean w no witnesses 2) kill someone elsewhere & transport the body to the river alone w no witnesses 3) kill someone & drop the body in the river from a bridge via vehicle alone or with help & no witnesses 4) kill someone with assistance & know that they will never speak 5) kill someone & keep quiet & never kill again for the next 20 years ??????

Is it possible that this was the killers first murder? Could this killer have only committed this one act and realistically get away with it?

How many instances are there were the murderer wrote taunting letters to the family but then that murderer just stopped & went away? It doesn't add up. You don't kill someone like that, taunt the family & L.E & then just vanish, stop stalking the family & never kill anyone else again.

I am aware that I'm just talking to myself & doing a Columbo but idc. No one is talking about it but everytime I walk by the river I remember.

Lengthy article, 2012

http://www.londoncommunitynews.com/n...ld-case-files/
rbbm

&#8220;There&#8217;s always someone out there with information,&#8221; Rektor said. And to coax people to come forward with a tip or new information, police often offer rewards of thousands of dollars.

But even without tips from the community, Rektor said sometimes just having a fresh set of eyes look at an unresolved case can help".

>>snip>>

" The unresolved murder cases the London Police Service are investigating include:

&#8226; Samuel Lottery went missing on Jan. 20, 1996. In May, 1997, a citizen walking his dog south of the Blackfriars Bridge discovered a human bone. Searchers found more bones and DNA testing identified them as the remains of Lottery.

sadly that link is now ''dead''......It would be great to know where he was that last day etc.

Today he should be recovering from celebrating his 35th birthday - groaning from too much birthday cake at least.

Sorry that his life was cut short

sadly that link is now ''dead''......It would be great to know where he was that last day etc.

Today he should be recovering from celebrating his 35th birthday - groaning from too much birthday cake at least.

Sorry that his life was cut short

Maybe I posted an incomplete link or something because when i search google, the link was fine, will try again..

http://www.londoncommunitynews.com/news-story/1358594-police-try-to-warm-up-cold-case-files/
rbbm.

Police try to warm up cold case files

“There’s always someone out there with information,” Rektor said. And to coax people to come forward with a tip or new information, police often offer rewards of thousands of dollars.

But even without tips from the community, Rektor said sometimes just having a fresh set of eyes look at an unresolved case can help.

He points to the case of Linda Shaw, a 21-year-old University of Western Ontario student who was murdered in 1990. Police announced in 2005 that they had discovered who Shaw’s killer was and that he had died in 1994.

Rektor said finding Shaw’s killer came down to an investigator studying one piece of evidence that had been overlooked.

Det. Sgt. Paul Waight, a member of the London Police Service’s major crime section, agreed that even the oldest cold cases can still be solved, especially when new investigative and forensic techniques are applied.

Between 1997 and 2000, London police and OPP teamed up to review 20 unresolved murders that had taken place in London between 1956 and 1983 through Project Angel, where investigators subjected older evidence to modern techniques such as DNA testing. The project, Waight said, turned out to be a success.

(modsnip)

I am dumbfounded there are so many for London ON -- thanks for reposting the link.

The article is encouraging in that LE does not keep us posted due to ongoing investigation integrity.

Looking around for, but not yet finding any new articles about this case.
It would be interesting to look at the handwritten notes as someone ( perhaps a teacher?) might recognize the handwriting, or even the stationary on which they were written.

Somehow, leaving human remains near the church, seems like something a protective and perhaps religious mother would do, to cover up a crime, yet diminish some guilt, jmo.
Unless, leaving parts there was to stigmatize that church in some way, or as a warning to others who attend that church.
Would a teen raised here, have the stomach for such a gruesome disposal of a body, wouldn't someone of that mindset continue killing? imo.

It would be interesting to look at the handwritten notes as someone ( perhaps a teacher?) might recognize the handwriting, or even the stationary on which they were written.

Somehow, leaving human remains near the church, seems like something a protective and perhaps religious mother would do, jmo.
Would a teen raised here, have the stomach for such a gruesome disposal of a body, wouldn't someone of that mindset continue killing?

bbm: I like the way you are thinking!! A retired teacher would be an excellent start............

Somehow, leaving human remains near the church, seems like something a protective and perhaps religious mother would do, to cover up a crime, yet diminish some guilt, jmo.
Unless, leaving parts there was to stigmatize that church in some way, or as a warning to others who attend that church.
Would a teen raised here, have the stomach for such a gruesome disposal of a body, wouldn't someone of that mindset continue killing? imo.

I don't think the manner in which the body was "disposed" indicates remorse at all. There was no grave or attempt at a burial from my understanding Samuel was just discarded at the river. The killer was angry that nobody made a fuss so they decided to "help" L.E by telling them where to look. It wasn't satisfying enough so they proceeded to write another letter. To me that feels like victimizing the family, not just a random incident or say, a highschool drug deal gone bad.

The stationary is an excellent start. It could be a member of the church who was angry at the family. Maybe Samuel was meeting a friend at church to play basketball & was lured away? Maybe he was on his way there & this "friend" "bumped into" Samuel along the way? Maybe he got into a car & was murdered & dumped?

To answer that last question @dotr, in my experience growing up here, the short answer is yes. There were a lot of "troubled youth" at the highschool Samuel attended. There were violent fights everyday. Samuel seemed quiet tho & I never saw him with the "bad kids" or in the smoking pit or skipping classes. There were some tough kids tho, the kind who might currently be in prison & I'm positive some are.

I really feel in my gut that the person responsible is a member of Pillar Of Fire church. Maybe someone whodidn't want them there? Someone who wanted to hurt Samuel & his family? But not just that it was personal, this person wanted recognition or attention somehow.

It would be great to know if there were any marks on the bones they recovered. Where did his clothing go?? What about his backpack? I can distinctly remember passing Samuel in the halls & he always wore the ssame burgundy nylon jacket & a backpack. I'm on my phone but will try to add his school photo later on.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is which side of the river. The west side is sort of lined in concrete. It is paved & there are railings. It wouldbe easy to roll a body down & drop it in the water. However,the east side is accessible on foot. Meaning you can walk down there to meet someone to buy/sell/do drugs without detection. I only mention drugs bc Samuel was a teenage boy, maybe he was lured by drugs? Or perhaps he was at the church & someone killed him there & he simply ended up in that spot due to "conveinience" or someone in a rush?

All of this is just supposition & desperation. I didn't know Samuel personally so the drug idea isn't meant to offend anyone. And sorry for the typos! Thanks for the comments as well, I felt like I was going in circles.

the best evidence seems to me to be the letters ...... MOO

It would also be interesting to know if the family experienced any other forms of stalking afterwards. Phone calls, mail tampering, car trouble etc. Or if any church members displayed strange behaviour. Even something as unsuspecting as offering counsel or prayer could be the murderer withdrawing pleasure from the familys' suffering. Someone who can keep an eye on things & watch the family fall apart, see the pain in their faces.

Those are all things that line up with psychopathic behaviour. The same type of psychopathic behaviour as writing taunting letters & tipping off L.E for attention.

But still, would this one murder be enough for someone with that mindset? On one hand this seems like an "intimate murder" (knowing where the family worships & their residence bc letters were found at both locations) & yet discarding someone in a shallow body of water seems so... reptilian? Also very bold for someones' "first kill".

Not to sound like a total jerk but what kind of beginners luck if you are the killer?! You leave the body where it should have been spotted, leave handwritten notes on personal stationary (not letterhead but not blank printer/binder paper), send them to 2 rather close & intimate locations & on the anniversary of the murder no less! That is one sick individual.

I wish I could hire the ladies of Cold Justice to help solve this case. This is exactly the type of case they investigate on their show.

Yeah, who writes 2 notes, desperately wanting his evil acts to be recognized?

A teacher? student? older person? relative?

Who gets mad at a 17 year old, who goes to church and kills them in the heart of winter?

If I had to guess, I would guess a young person, who was a classmate, and had low self esteem.

He was 17, so I doubt it was for $$$$. Could it be over a girl, like maybe a prom date? I wonder if Samuel had a girl friend.

Yeah, who writes 2 notes, desperately wanting his evil acts to be recognized?

A teacher? student? older person? relative?

Who gets mad at a 17 year old, who goes to church and kills them in the heart of winter?

If I had to guess, I would guess a young person, who was a classmate, and had low self esteem.

He was 17, so I doubt it was for $$$$. Could it be over a girl, like maybe a prom date? I wonder if Samuel had a girl friend.

The person would probably have to have the privacy, time and room to kill and dismember that poor kid.
They must have really wanted the nasty deed to be noticed by someone, but who and why?
A warning? revenge? attention-seeking?

If it was over a girl, she probably attends the same church and - heaven help her!

A student probably would not have hacked him to death. I would think a 17 year old would be scared to dismember a body, and not have privacy and room.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back