Identified! ID - Dubois, WhtMale Skeletal UP13310, Buffalo Cave, Aug 1979 - 1870-1916 Joseph Henry Loveless

Migmuu

Reaction score
Just added to NamUs today. For some reason, the story sounds very familiar to me but I can't remember where I heard about it or if it's even the same case.

UP#13310

DEMOGRAPHICS
  • Race: Caucasian
  • Sex: Male
  • Height: N/A
  • Weight: N/A
  • Postmortem interval: 5 years

CIRCUMSTANCES
  • Discovery date: 8-26-1979 and 3-30-1991
  • Background: Hikers found the torso of a Caucasian male in the Buffalo Cave in Idaho. 12 years later, in March, a different set of hikers found further remains (an arm and both legs) in the same cave. The skull has never been recovered.

CLOTHING/JEWELRY DESCRIPTION
  • White shirt w/ red pin striped, maroon sweater, dark-colored pants

IDENTIFIERS
  • Fingerprints: N/A (skeletal remains)
  • Dentals: Currently not available
  • DNA: Currently not available

I'm sure they'll get to moving it soon. Mods usually keep up with that kind of thing...

I couldn't find a DoeNet profile for these remains, but found a news story from when they found more of the remains in 1991.

The story's got a few more details (NamUS usually keeps the details short and sweet).
It states that the torso was wrapped in burlap. They are fairly certain he was a murder victim as the body was intentionally dismembered ("cleanly severed from the body..."), likely with a saw. The later finds were "leathery" due to the conditions of the cave.

Human limbs discovered in Idaho cave likely came from torso found in '79 (The Deseret News, Salt Lake City, UT 4/3/1991)

*Sent a msg to Carlk90245 about moving it. Usually see him on most UID threads so thought he could help.
**Sent him another msg because it should be ID (not IL)

Thanks!

The article does have a lot more information. I think the most important is that the postmortem interval given is 6 months to 5 years. NamUs just said 5 years so I was looking for people missing between 1973 and 1975, and I couldn't find anyone missing from Idaho during that time. With the new postmortem interval, one MP from Idaho shows up:

Franklin Harder
- Age (25) is within range
- Race (Caucasian) matches
- Disappeared 1 year, 4 months prior to the discovery of the remains

Unfortunately, there isn't anything else that you can use to compare Harder to the UID. The distance between Grangeville (where he went missing) and Dubois is 432 miles. That's very far, but there's practically no info on the circumstances of his disappearance, so..

I found another article from April 1991:

S.L. Homicide in '89, Discovery of Limbs in Cave May be Related

Idaho authorities are looking into similarities between the discovery last month of mummified human limbs in a cave near Dubois with the 1989 dismemberment of a Salt Lake man.

Clark County Sheriff Craig King said he was contacted by Utah detectives who investigated the February 1989 murder of 51-year-old Larry Duane White, who was shot and cut into pieces by a man police say then assumed White's identity.

This is a good summary Robert Eugene Bennett's crimes. However, since the UID isn't listed as one of his victims, I'm assuming the connection wasn't made.

Reactions: mrz
Well this is certainly a trip down memory lane. I volunteered to go along with the ISU anthro department to search for the skull back in late 80's or early 90's. I was a junior high student at the time. We managed to unearth the skeleton of a bison and that was about it. The sheriff who accompanied us found a dead ostrich in another chamber deeper in the cave. Turned out there was an ostrich farm up the road from there, and the sheriff mentioned something about bear baiting. Anyway, I've always wondered about the identity of who we were looking for.

As stated in the link, Morris was thought to have been murdered by James Franklin Jagers and Jack Lincoln. Jagers sought a deal for info in 1983 but it did not happen. It seems Jagers died in Paris, Ohio in July 2014. I wonder if he left any clues? I agree Morris is a possible based on the info about the case. My only doubts are that it seems Jagers and Lincoln were only recorded in Idaho on May 8 - two weeks after Morris disappeared and after they seem to have done a grand tour of various other states. Would they have driven round with a corpse for that long (or did they visit Idaho earlier?).

Whilst I like Morris as a possible (certainly worth looking at more closely) I also wonder about two other possibilities.

Gerald Leroy DeWall went missing January 26 1977 from Kallispell Montana. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/dewall_gerald.html
This is actually somewhat nearer than Franklin Harder's disappearance (370 miles away). He was 30 years old and Caucasian but there seems no other details.

The story also sounded familiar to me. A bit of searching suggested it may have linked in my mind with the Michael Dauber case in Idaho, where he shot and dismembered a friend. Obviously Dauber is not responsible for this case as he was only a young child at the time but set me thinking. Dauber was the son of Chicago mob hit man Billy Dauber. Dismemberment was a signature for some mob murders. Could the victim in this case be an organised crime murder? If so we may never know who he is as most victims would have gone missing without notification. The only known case I wondered about was George Jay Vandermark - the mob skim artist who disappeared from Vegas in August 76 after crossing the Chicago family. Whilst he was said to have gone home to Phoenix and then onto Mexico to escape, none of this was verified. The suspected murderers, strangely, were Chicago mob associates of Dauber senior.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/v/vandermark_george.html

Reactions: mrz
The NamUs page was apparently modified yesterday:

Height: Changed from "Cannot estimate" to 59 inches (4'11)
Clothing: White shirt w/ red pinstripes changed to white shirt w/ blue pinstripes
They also added a picture of the shirt

ETA: Probably should be noted that I'm 99% sure 4'11 is an error and they meant to write 5'9 instead

The NamUs page was apparently modified yesterday:

Height: Changed from "Cannot estimate" to 59 inches (4'11)
Clothing: White shirt w/ red pinstripes changed to white shirt w/ blue pinstripes
They also added a picture of the shirt

ETA: Probably should be noted that I'm 99% sure 4'11 is an error and they meant to write 5'9 instead

That would be a lot shorter than me, and as I'm short as can be. But I can see it being possible that they really meant 59". Since they've upgraded the age range to the older side, I know a lot of older people are short. Not just because of nutrition (i.e. younger being exposed to more vitamin-enriched flour, supplements, etc) but because of osteoporosis and progressing arthritis and the like.

I know that people can "shrink" or their posture gets worse (I know what I'm talking about but don't know how to say it). That is one of the reasons older people seem shorter (because they're kind of hunched over). When a body turns skeletal, how is height measured? Would a hunched-over 5'10" person who "shrinks" in such a way be determined to be 5'10" or the 5'7" or so that they "appear to be?"

That would be a lot shorter than me, and as I'm short as can be. But I can see it being possible that they really meant 59". Since they've upgraded the age range to the older side, I know a lot of older people are short. Not just because of nutrition (i.e. younger being exposed to more vitamin-enriched flour, supplements, etc) but because of osteoporosis and progressing arthritis and the like.

I know that people can "shrink" or their posture gets worse (I know what I'm talking about but don't know how to say it). That is one of the reasons older people seem shorter (because they're kind of hunched over). When a body turns skeletal, how is height measured? Would a hunched-over 5'10" person who "shrinks" in such a way be determined to be 5'10" or the 5'7" or so that they "appear to be?"

When you die, your muscles become dehydrated and will begin to contract. This especially happens in dry environments where mummification takes place. It's actually the reason why you have the myth that nails grow after death; they don't grow, it's just that the flesh dehydrates and will "pull back", which makes it look like the nails actually grew.

Height is determined by measuring certain bones - the femur (thighbone), humerus (bone connecting shoulder to elbow) and the radius (one of the two bones in your wrist). Forensic anthropologists have different formulas they use to determine height, depending on the bone and the skeleton's sex. It's not perfect since not everyone arm/leg ratio is the same, but you can still get a pretty accurate estimation if you know the sex and you're using multiple bones to determine the height.
This site explains it in layman's terms and shows you the different formulas.

I'm pretty sure a 5'10 person who "shrinks" would still be measured at around 5'10, since the bones themselves don't shrink and the femur, radius and humerus still remain the same height. I'm also sure the anthropologist would take the estimated age and any damage to the bones (whether through disease or trauma) into account too when trying to determine the height.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/Clark-County-deputies-following-leads-after-search/31592142

Clark County Sheriff Bart May says after searchers looked an all-day search of a civil defense cave Friday did not locate a head missing in a cold case murder, but he hopes it will develop new information from the public...

In 1979, a torso was found in the area. Arms and legs were found in 1991.

Idaho State University anthropologists worked with sheriffs deputies to scan the cave. They were working to provide a 3-D map of the cave to help determine where the head might be.

Made Wired magazine... they mention a pink shirt and estimates the UID was around 35-40?

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/mystery-torso-buffalo-cave/

Lots of good information in this article.

The article indicates DNA is available, but Namus says "tests not complete."

Namus has a picture of the shirt in question. I see why they call it a pink shirt, but it looks to me more like it's a white shirt that was stained pink by the color fading from the maroon sweater. Sort of like your white shirts with red socks.

Namus also says they have fingerprints. Wow. Must have been able to reconstitute them from mummified skin.

Clark County John Doe is a new DDP case!

"DNA from Clark County John Doe is pending extraction and we hope to deliver his case to our volunteers for genetic genealogy soon.

Who was Clark County John Doe?
On 26 August 1979, a family hunting for arrowheads in Buffalo Cave (in the state's Civil Defense Caves in Clark County east of Dubois, Idaho) discovered the headless torso of a male buried in an 18-inch-deep grave. Twelve years later, on 30 March 1991, an 11-year-old girl exploring the same area found a partially buried and mummified hand. Officials conducted more excavating and found an arm and two legs wrapped in burlap.

Students from Idaho State University also conducted extensive searches over the years; however, they found no other remains or the head.

The torso was wrapped in burlap and wore dark colored pants, a white shirt with blue pinstripes, and a maroon sweater.

Clark County John Doe is also known as: “Buffalo Cave John Doe” and “Defense Cave John Doe”

NamUs: UP13310
Date Found: August 26, 1979
Race: White / Caucasian
Sex: Male
PMI: 5 Years

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:
John Clements
Clark County Sheriff's Office

Links to More Information
https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPersons/Case#/13310
https://www.cbsnews.com/…/authorities-recruit-idaho-state-u… CBS
https://www.wired.com/2015/05/mystery-torso-buffalo-cave/ WIRED
https://www.facebook.com/EastIdahoColdCases/posts/835022110037242 Idaho Cold Cases
http://dnadoeproject.org/case/clark-county-john-doe/

DoeFundMe Goal: $2,300 for bone extraction and sequencing.

To donate via PayPal, please visit our website: http://dnadoeproject.org/case/clark-county-john-doe/ and select the “Donate” button — a box will appear where supporters may enter their name as preferred for inclusion on our DDP Donor page. Leave the box blank to remain anonymous.

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project. As always, we ask that commenters remain respectful to our Does and their families.

Our thanks to Anthony Redgrave who created this photo reconstruction.

#ClarkCountyJohnDoe
#ClarkCounty
#Idaho
#DuboisIdaho
#DNADoeProject
#DoeFundMe
#BuffaloCaveJohnDoe
#DefenseCaveJohnDoe"

May 18, 2019

An Idaho State University professor is raising funds in hopes new DNA testing will lead to answers in a 40-year-old eastern Idaho murder mystery.

Professor Amy Michael, Ph.D., and the Clark County Sheriff's Office hope the testing can shed light on the mystery of how a mummified human torso ended up in Buffalo Cave, also known as the Civil Defense Cave, near the Montana border.

The mystery began in 1979 when a family searching for arrowheads came upon a male torso. The arms and legs were found 12 years later, but the head has never been located.

All of the body parts were mummified and wrapped in burlap.

Clark County Chief Deputy John Clements said cuts on the corpse indicate someone dismembered the body with a saw.

Identifying the remains has stumped anthropologists and forensic scientists nationwide. Michael, a former ISU anthropology researcher who now works at the University of New Hampshire, said the bones from Buffalo Cave case have been studied at the Smithsonian and the FBI and are now kept by ISU, often used to help teach anthropology students.

Michael hopes new forensic DNA testing can help identify the John Doe. The new tests involve the same testing that has solved cold cases nationwide, including the Angie Dodge murder. Michael has been working with DNA Doe Project, an organization that raises funds to identify John and Jane Does. DNA Doe Project would extract the genetic material from the bones

"Using autosomal DNA comparison, which is what is used by forensic genealogists, a file can be uploaded to GEDmatch that will produce a list of potentially hundreds of cousins with which we can build an extensive family tree," said Anthony Redgrave, the researcher in charge of the Clark County case at DNA Doe Project. "By triangulating segments of matching DNA to common ancestors, we can determine how all of these cousins are related to the unidentified person, and home in on the family group where we may find our John Doe."

Read more: Researchers seek help solving 1970s cold case murder

Last edited:
An Idaho State University professor is raising funds in hopes new DNA testing will lead to answers in a 40-year-old eastern Idaho murder mystery.

Professor Amy Michael, Ph.D., and the Clark County Sheriff's Office hope the testing can shed light on the mystery of how a mummified human torso ended up in Buffalo Cave, also known as the Civil Defense Cave, near the Montana border.

The mystery began in 1979 when a family searching for arrowheads came upon a male torso. The arms and legs were found 12 years later, but the head has never been located.

Clark County Chief Deputy John Clements said cuts on the corpse indicate someone dismembered the body with a saw.

Identifying the remains has stumped anthropologists and forensic scientists nationwide. Michael, a former ISU anthropology researcher who now works at the University of New Hampshire, said the bones from Buffalo Cave case have been studied at the Smithsonian and the FBI and are now kept by ISU, often used to help teach anthropology students.

Michael hopes new forensic DNA testing can help identify the John Doe. The new tests involve the same testing that has solved cold cases nationwide, including the Angie Dodge murder. Michael has been working with DNA Doe Project, an organization that raises funds to identify John and Jane Does. DNA Doe Project would extract the genetic material from the bones

"Using autosomal DNA comparison, which is what is used by forensic genealogists, a file can be uploaded to GEDmatch that will produce a list of potentially hundreds of cousins with which we can build an extensive family tree," said Anthony Redgrave, the researcher in charge of the Clark County case at DNA Doe Project. "By triangulating segments of matching DNA to common ancestors, we can determine how all of these cousins are related to the unidentified person, and home in on the family group where we may find our John Doe."

How wonderful! I hope it works and he gets his name back!

DDP needs to raise funds for his case. You can donate here:
Clark County John Doe - DNA Doe Project Cases

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member