6 people dead in Glasgow as refuse truck hits Christmas shoppers

zwiebel

Reaction score
An out of control bin lorry (trash truck) has ploughed into Christmas shoppers in Glasgow, Scotland. Six people are dead and more are injured. Police have termed this a major incident. They are urging shoppers to let families know if they are safe.

It is being reported the driver may have had a cardiac arrest. Reports are coming in of a devastating scene, with Christmas gifts strewn everywhere.

http://news.sky.com/story/1396275/bin-lorry-crashes-into-shoppers-six-dead

Attachments

• 460775472-10-1-480x360.jpg
    460775472-10-1-480x360.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 152
I am hearing eyewitnesses reports at the moment, which are quite traumatic. :(

'Several people have been killed and a number of others injured after an out-of-control bin lorry crashed into pedestrians in central Glasgow.

The council vehicle then crashed into the Millennium Hotel, near Queen Street station in George Square, at 14:30.

Eyewitnesses described emergency services battling to save the lives of injured people on the street.....'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30580114

Attachments

• _79894899_79894898.jpg
    _79894899_79894898.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 145
An emergency number has been issued for people worried their relatives may have been involved. For people within the UK it is 01786 289 070

Anyone outside the UK will need to add the 44 country code.

(number reported on BBC Radio)

Police have just confirmed officially there are six fatalities. I've seen reports of maybe seven seriously injured, but really not sure.

DM - lots of eyewitness statements and as usual lots of photos and a map
Scary how far the wagon got before it hit a wall.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ad-bin-lorry-crashes-Glasgow-city-centre.html

From your link: :(

'Shopper Melanie Greig told Sky News: 'The lorry just lost control, it just went along the pavement knocking people down like pinballs. There was a baby in a buggy, there were two little kids....

Police were unable to say if any children were among the casualties, but a spokesman said there had been families in the area at the time.'

I have just read a tweet suggesting 3 children died.

I've also just realised how close this is to the Clutha Bar which had the helicopter tragedy before Xmas last year. Terrible.

This is terrible! I have been to Glasgow christmas shopping many times.
My prayers go to all involved, so close to christmas too! *advertiser censored*

Thanks for all your condolences and updates this is a terrible tragedy and so close to home. You just think it could have been you, a relative or friend. One minute you are enjoying Christmas shopping and the next you are dead through no fault of your own.

R.I.P to all who have died my thoughts and prayers are with their families. I will keep praying for the injured including the lorry driver who will be dealing with a lot in the time ahead.

Such a tragic event as Christmas and Hannuakah unfold. My hearts go out to the families. :heartbeat:

Such a tragic event. My thoughts are with everyone touched by this story. For anyone looking at the pictures, I can't help but think this could have been so much worse, if the truck had landed in George Square or hit the Millennium hotel with more force, doesn't really bare thinking about.
I'l be close to the crash scene today as I am off to the Blood Donation Centre. I was already booked in for today, makes it all the more important that I go.

Lorry Crash: Three Victims From One Family

Three of the six victims killed when a bin lorry careered out of control through Glasgow were an elderly couple and their granddaughter.

Jack Sweeney, his wife Lorraine, and Erin McQuade, understood to be in her teens, died on Monday after the council vehicle drove through a street full of Christmas shoppers.

Heartbreaking :(

RIP :rose:

The other victims have been named:

Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh
Jacqueline Morton, 51, from Glasgow
Stephenie (sp?) Tait, 29, primary school teacher from Glasgow.

Two people remain critical in hospital

(source: DM)

'Jacqueline McQuade, who was shopping at the time, witnessed the moment her 18-year-old daughter Erin and two parents were killed by an out of control refuse lorry in Glasgow city centre.

Jack Sweeney, 68, his wife Lorraine, 69, and Erin were among the six people killed after the lorry ran out of control.

Jacqueline McQuade had reportedly gone to withdraw money from a cash machine when her daughter and parents were hit.

Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, Stephenie Tait, 29, from Glasgow and Jacqueline Morton, 51, from Glasgow, also died.'

There is a Canada link with Mr Sweeney. He was president of the Bramalea Celtic supporters club there.

http://www.channel4.com/news/glasgow-bin-lorry-refuse-six-killed-mother-daughter-service

Attachments

• 23_glasgowvictims3_compo--(None)_LRG.jpg
    23_glasgowvictims3_compo--(None)_LRG.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 54
'Jacqueline McQuade, who was shopping at the time, witnessed the moment her 18-year-old daughter Erin and two parents were killed by an out of control refuse lorry in Glasgow city centre.

Jack Sweeney, 68, his wife Lorraine, 69, and Erin were among the six people killed after the lorry ran out of control.

Jacqueline McQuade had reportedly gone to withdraw money from a cash machine when her daughter and parents were hit.

Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, Stephenie Tait, 29, from Glasgow and Jacqueline Morton, 51, from Glasgow, also died.'

There is a Canada link with Mr Sweeney. He was president of the Bramalea Celtic supporters club there.

http://www.channel4.com/news/glasgow-bin-lorry-refuse-six-killed-mother-daughter-service

I thought about the victims a lot yesterday particularly the lady who has lost her daughter and parents I can't imagine the emotional pain. The youngest fatality Erin was such a beautiful and bright young woman with her whole life infront of her. I hope all the injured victims are managing to cope as well as they can. I'm so pleased everyone has united to help in any way they can or pay their respects. One of my relatives knows the 14 year old girl who is still in hospital.

update on the driver??

will there be charges?

An official report into the incident, compiled by Police Scotland, will be published by the end of the month.

I have a link to this but it doesn't seem to allow me to post.

The Erin Mcquade & her grandparents were from my town, it's an extremely sad time. The funeral was on Saturday past & was a very dignified service, the families held it together, although i'm not sure how.

The paparazzi were out in force - they just disgust me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back