Why this shoplifter hugged cop called out to arrest her

zwiebel

Reaction score
When disabled Alabama grandmom Helen Johnson's family had gone without food for two days, she decided to use her last $1.25 to buy a box of eggs to see them through. There are two toddlers under three in her household and with her disability cheque not arrived and her daughter's welfare cheque lost in the post, there was no relief in sight.

Helen went to the store and found herself 50 cents short of the asking price. So she stole five eggs in desperation, for her six-person household. She was such a bad thief, she says, she broke the eggs putting them in her pocket. And was caught, and had to face the heavy hand of the law.

Only in this case the law turned out to be Tarrant police officer William Stacy, who checked out her story, spoke to the store manager, and then bought Helen a box of eggs. When he handed them over instead of arresting her, she burst into tears and hugged him. Helen was very apologetic and the store has decided not to press charges.

An onlooker caught the moment on video, and as the story has spread, it's worked some good too. Police Chief Denis Reno said:

"A guy called me from New York and just broke down. He said for two months he's been angry with police, and he said this has totally changed his mind."

Video at the link. He's a nice guy.
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/12/tarrant_police_officer_deliver.html

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy...f-food-to-feed-her-hungry-family-2466814.html

Attachments

• grandmother-caught-stealing-eggs.jpg
    grandmother-caught-stealing-eggs.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 47
*'...she was stunned. "I was like, 'Oh my God, thank you Jesus for this man,''' she said. "He is my hero."

Stacy said he can remember times growing up when his mother had trouble finding ways to feed him and his sister. He had been on a call to Johnson's house once before, and had gotten a glimpse of the living conditions. The furnishings are sparse, and the family sleeps on mattresses on the floor.

"The story she told me Saturday matched up with what I had seen when I was there,'' he said. "I felt like it was the right thing to do. I didn't want to pass judgment on her."

She asked how she could repay him, and he told her to not shoplift again. "Sometimes the best route is to not arrest,'' Stacy said. "I hope she won't do it again. I pray she doesn't, and I don't think she will.'

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2014/12/tarrant_police_officer_deliver.html

Struggling to understand why a family with small children are sleeping on mattresses on the floor in the USA. I've seen the stuff thrown out there - surely it's not impossible to get a used bed frame or two, for free, in Alabama?

I really appreciate this story, Zwiebel (and so many of your posts here at WS)... and I know you know that you are getting into a WHOLE different topic that is IMO worthy of its own thread and a serious discussion about responsibility and what it means to be part of the human race. =)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back