MI MI - Paige Stalker, 16, Detroit, 22 December 2014

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Grosse Pointe teen killed, 3 hurt in Detroit shooting

Tom Greenwood, The Detroit News 12:10 p.m. EST December 23, 2014

Detroit — A spokeswoman for Grosse Pointe's University Liggett School has confirmed that one of its students was killed Monday night when a gunman opened fire on five teenagers in a car on Detroit's east side.

Three other teens, all from Grosse Pointe, were wounded while one, from Detroit, escaped unharmed.

According to the Detroit Police Department, the incident occurred about 9 p.m. in the area of Charlevoix and Philip on the city's east side.

Police said the car was occupied by three females and two males with one victim age 15 and the others all 16. The teen killed was a 16-year-old student at University Liggett School...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2014/12/23/teens-shot/20798351/

Grosse Point teen shooting victim was junior at University Liggett School

Paige Stalker killed last Monday night; 3 other teens wounded

Author: Halston Herrera, Senior News Editor for ClickOnDetroit.com, @ClickOnHalston, hherrera@wdiv.com

Published On: 2 h Updated 33 m

GROSSE POINTE, Mich. -
A 16-year-old junior at University Liggett School in Grosse Pointe Woods is one of the five teens who were in a car late Monday night when a gunman opened fire on them.

Paige Stalker was shot in the head and killed during the shooting that happened near Philip and Charlevoix streets.

Police said the teens had were on their way to the movies when they pulled over to smoke and were ambushed...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-junior-at-university-liggett-school/30370398

wow, the comments are interesting on these articles. Random or not? who knows at this point. Sad, yes. No matter what they were doing.

Detroit native, hubby from GPP, family still all over the state, so my ears always perk when I see Detroit stories (thanks BDE for being that connection and bringing the local stories to WS!) Oh Detroit, my beloved city... what happened to you?... Industry left and so did so so many people. I weep for you, you big beautiful city. And for these teens, who have now witnessed or been part of something they can never forget.

After hail of bullets, Detroit police, Pointes ask why

Tom Greenwood and Mark Hicks, The Detroit News 9:11 a.m. EST December 24, 2014

Detroit — Fear and panic were the emotions felt by five teenagers when their car was approached by a gunman on a desolate Detroit street Monday night.

When the suspect had finished firing, one girl was dead, three other teens were wounded and the question of why the teens — four from Grosse Pointe and one from Detroit — were on that street and why they were shot began to be asked by police, family and friends...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2014/12/23/teens-shot/20798351/

wow, the comments are interesting on these articles. Random or not? who knows at this point. Sad, yes. No matter what they were doing.

Detroit native, hubby from GPP, family still all over the state, so my ears always perk when I see Detroit stories (thanks BDE for being that connection and bringing the local stories to WS!) Oh Detroit, my beloved city... what happened to you?... Industry left and so did so so many people. I weep for you, you big beautiful city. And for these teens, who have now witnessed or been part of something they can never forget.

:tyou: I wish there were more good news than bad to report on from the 'D'. DH and I grew up in Detroit in the 50s-60s when the city was vibrant. We met working for the city (Parks & Rec) during the summer of 1967 (riots) when the tide turned. Things have never been the same. :(

This is what happens to "magical thinking" teens who think they can stop and use or buy their drugs in the worst areas in their fancy cars and go on with their big plans for the evening. "Nothing will happen to me. Those terrible things only happen to people I hear about on the news." You think you've shown them on the news, discussed it at the dinner table, and those impulsive little teen brains just go on making poor decisions and succumbing to peer pressure anyway. Breaks my heart.

:waitasec: I'm trying to figure out where they were going to see a movie, if that was really the plan for the evening's entertainment. I don't think there are any movie theatres in Detroit any more, certainly not anywhere that the teens would have been safe. :confused: Going to the movies was probably what the teens told their parents when they left home that evening.

according to some of the comments - there is a theater in GPP, and they may have been picking up a friend in Detroit to go there, but there was nothing showing that Monday evening. I am not buying the "going to the movies" explanation, nor the pulling over to smoke pot. Why pull over? In this cold weather? Right there? Really?

This is sad, but something happened and the players are not being honest IMO. Even if hypothetically it was a drug deal gone bad - what could have happened? Sheesh.

according to some of the comments - there is a theater in GPP, and they may have been picking up a friend in Detroit to go there, but there was nothing showing that Monday evening. I am not buying the "going to the movies" explanation, nor the pulling over to smoke pot. Why pull over? In this cold weather? Right there? Really?

This is sad, but something happened and the players are not being honest IMO. Even if hypothetically it was a drug deal gone bad - what could have happened? Sheesh.

My guess it was a drug deal/robbery. Happens all of the time in Los Angeles. White kids go to the hood to score some drugs and get shot and robbed.

Not accusing these kids of doing so necessarily, but it is a possibility.

After hail of bullets, Detroit police, Pointes ask why

Tom Greenwood and Mark Hicks, The Detroit News 9:11 a.m. EST December 24, 2014

Detroit — Fear and panic were the emotions felt by five teenagers when their car was approached by a gunman on a desolate Detroit street Monday night.

When the suspect had finished firing, one girl was dead, three other teens were wounded and the question of why the teens — four from Grosse Pointe and one from Detroit — were on that street and why they were shot began to be asked by police, family and friends...

They should have felt fear & panic before the gunman approached.

I'm white and went to Grosse Pointe schools. Me and my friends use to go into Detroit to buy pot too. A decent amount of GP kids go there to buy drugs usually pot but heroin is also becoming big among these kids. They will buy some pot in Detroit then pull over on a side street there and smoke it like these kids seemed to be doing. What amazed me though when I use to go into Detroit with people is how many of these white kids will stop for a random black guy who flags them down while they are driving through Detroit. These kids assume these black guys just want to sell them drugs and most of the time they do but sometimes they are looking to rob you. Many are naïve and not scared. Most blacks don't really screw around with the white suburban kids though because they want our business we bring them a lot of money.

The driver of the car with the kids in it should have reversed the car straight backwards flooring it. The driver instead tried to make some type of U turn. It sounds like they were parked on the side of the road and this car pulls up kind of in front of them and a guy with a gun gets out and the shooters car is blocking the kids car from going forward so the driver put the car in reverse but instead of going straight backwards they backed up onto the grass and into a tree and then put it in drive drove forward off the grass and turned onto the road and while they were on the grass the shooter shot at the one side of the car.

I'm white and went to Grosse Pointe schools. Me and my friends use to go into Detroit to buy pot too. A decent amount of GP kids go there to buy drugs usually pot but heroin is also becoming big among these kids. They will buy some pot in Detroit then pull over on a side street there and smoke it like these kids seemed to be doing. What amazed me though when I use to go into Detroit with people is how many of these white kids will stop for a random black guy who flags them down while they are driving through Detroit. These kids assume these black guys just want to sell them drugs and most of the time they do but sometimes they are looking to rob you. Many are naïve and not scared. Most blacks don't really screw around with the white suburban kids though because they want our business we bring them a lot of money.

Thanks for sharing. I hope this incident that resulted in the death of a beautiful girl with a bright future serves as a wake-up call/warning to other teens. There aren't many places in Detroit that are safe for teens joyriding around town, and parking in a dark, deserted neighborhood compounds the issue of safety. Thoughts and prayers for the victims' families.

I don't care what the police are saying. I can't believe the teenagers chose that spot to smoke when a 5 minute drive would have put them in a much safer area. Not buying it. Theres more to this story.

$10,000 reward offered in Grosse Pointe teen's death

Local real estate developer offers reward for information

Author: Mara MacDonald, Local 4 Reporter, @MaraMacDonald

Published On: Dec 26 2014 11:00:00 PM EST Updated 1 h

GROSSE POINTE, Mich. -
The reward for information in the Grosse Pointe teen's death is up to $10,000. A local real estate developer previously offered a $5,000 reward for information that leads to the conviction of the gunman who fired on a car load of teenagers, killing 16-year-old University Liggett honor student Paige Stalker on Dec. 22. Now the reward has doubled...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/5000-reward-offered-in-grosse-pointe-teens-death/30419682

Family, friends mourn Grosse Pointe Farms teen at funeral

By Tresa Baldas, Detroit Free Press 8:15 p.m. EST December 27, 2014

"We are not supposed to be here today."

For the family and friends of slain Grosse Pointe Farms teenager Paige Stalker, the minister's words hit home as they echoed in the stately brick church, where more than 300 gathered on Saturday for the funeral of the 16-year-old shooting victim.

The crowd stood in dark contrast to the ivory church walls as almost everyone was dressed in black, except for one little girl in a bright pink dress. The churchgoers also wore pink and green ribbons in honor of Paige's favorite colors.

The Rev. Scott McKinney of the St. James Lutheran Church in Grosse Pointe Farms was the only one who spoke at the funeral. There was no eulogy, according to the family's wishes.

For the students and parents, there were no words that could explain how a girl who had it all — all A's at prestigious University Liggett School, athleticism, compassion, motivation — could wind up a violent crime victim, senselessly gunned down on a desolate street in Detroit...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...stalker-funeral-grosse-pointe-farms/20948495/

Don't recall offhand where I read it, but Paige's grandfather said that she was going to a movie at Partridge Creek (Clinton Township) with her older sister and younger brother. Grandfather said there was no mention of Paige going to Detroit that evening.

ETA: I found the article - from Detroit Free Press that I don't often read.

Dave Lawrence said he doesn't know why his granddaughter was in Detroit Monday night. But what he does know, he said, is that Paige had plans to go to the movies at Partridge Creek with her little brother and older sister that night.

"There weren't any plans to be running around all night in Detroit," Dave Lawrence said.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...stalker-family-remembers-girl-smart/20880317/

Don't recall offhand where I read it, but Paige's grandfather said that she was going to a movie at Partridge Creek (Clinton Township) with her older sister and younger brother. Grandfather said there was no mention of Paige going to Detroit that evening.

ETA: I found the article - from Detroit Free Press that I don't often read.

Dave Lawrence said he doesn't know why his granddaughter was in Detroit Monday night. But what he does know, he said, is that Paige had plans to go to the movies at Partridge Creek with her little brother and older sister that night.

"There weren't any plans to be running around all night in Detroit," Dave Lawrence said.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...stalker-family-remembers-girl-smart/20880317/

So, is the grandfather saying she was forced to go to Detroit.

Maybe the girl said she was going one place and went somewhere else instead. Teens often do that. It seems like the older sister and younger brother would know if she went to the movies with them or not, unless they were covering for her. One time when my youngest daughter was a teen, she took her car and supposedly went to a girlfriend's house to spend the night near Flint (local to us). The next day she told me she had driven her friends down to the middle of Detroit in the middle of the night and had gotten off the expressway and got lost. So she wandered around Detroit in her car with her friends for some time before she found an expressway that would take her home. She said she got really scared when she was lost in a bad neighborhood in Detroit at night. Well, it sure scared ME when I found out! I would have had heart failure if I had known she was down there driving around. I had trusted her to be where she said she would be. She said she "didn't know" why she did it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suvendudash
Back