1244 users online (208 members and 1036 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

AZ - Leah Costa, 15, Buckeye, 24 December 2014

Leah Costa

Buckeye girl went missing on Christmas eve
    Police are searching for a teenage girl who went missing on Christmas Eve in Buckeye. Costa ran away from her parents' house, possibly with her 17-year-old-boyfriend, according to a Buckeye police press release. On Saturday, Arizona Department of Public Safety officers found Costa's boyfriend, whose name has not been released, walking along Interstate 10 at milepost 78. The 17-year-old was disoriented and dehydrated with torn clothing. He couldn't confirm what had happened, but said he had been with Leah, who was last seen at the truck stop at 339th Avenue and I-10, according to the press release.
    http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...-eve/20967201/
    Last edited by los2188; 12-28-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

The distance between Leah's home and the truck stop where she was last seen is about 17-18 miles, depending on the route. According to Google Maps, it would be a 6 hour walk (if you didn't stop) or a 20 minute drive. I was wondering if she was actually last seen on Christmas Day rather than Christmas Eve, if they walked the entire way, but I doubt that was the case.

Maybe hitchhiking gone wrong? Truck stops aren't very safe for young women, and perhaps getting a ride from someone was how they got to the truck stop in the first place. When the boyfriend couldn't find her or her ride, perhaps he started walking again and continued to walk for a couple days. That would explain why he couldn't really describe what happened - maybe he doesn't know, either. I'm giving the kid the benefit of the doubt here, though...

I'm very concerned for this girl.

Yeah, the description of the boyfriend (the state in which he was found) sounds scary!
    now an official Penn State alum!

Kindness is magic. (Derek)

@JaneDoe25 (Twitter) <~~~ videos & pics of Harry right here

Quote Originally Posted by PlainJaneDoe View Post
    Yeah, the description of the boyfriend (the state in which he was found) sounds scary!
    Not sure what the weather is actually like in AZ right now, but I know that it tends to stay pretty warm over there. So the dehydration and exhaustion doesn't surprise me, especially if he had been walking for a long time. The torn clothing is what really worries me because it signals that he may have been in a struggle with someone.

Justice for Jennifer

Rest in peace Danielle and Tammy

Justice for Jennifer

Rest in peace Danielle and Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by TweekTweak View Post
    Not sure what the weather is actually like in AZ right now, but I know that it tends to stay pretty warm over there. So the dehydration and exhaustion doesn't surprise me, especially if he had been walking for a long time. The torn clothing is what really worries me because it signals that he may have been in a struggle with someone.
    The weather in Buckeye has been very cool for AZ standards for the past 5 days. Highs in the upper 50's and lows dipping into the upper 30's. The dehydration could easily be a result of not being prepared and not taking fluids for a couple of days. I agree the torn clothing and state of mind are worrisome. The I-10 is not a place you would want to be walking along period. I hope they find Leah today!
    Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

This one says they were also at Milepost 71. Is that nearer or further than Milepost 78?

http://www.kpho.com/story/27717755/b...ted-along-i-10

The teen was unable to tell the DPS officer where he had been or the whereabouts of the girl. He confirmed she was with him and was last seen at the TA Truck Stop at 339th Avenue and I-10. He also recalled they were at the Burnt Wells Rest Area off I-10 at Milepost 71...

The girl is described as 5'3" tall and weighs 187 pounds. She has brown hair and eyes.

Costa was last seen wearing a blue and white checkered plaid shirt with a black tank top, blue jeans and black high-top shoes. She wears glasses. The boy, however, said she may be wearing a red plaid shirt.

MM71 is farther away from Buckeye than MM78. Buckeye exits are MM109 through 121.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interst...zona#Exit_list

The truck stop is here @ Exit 103.
    Truck Stop Details
    TA Tonopah #225
    (623) 386-6443
    I-10 Ex 103 (339th Ave)
    1010 N 339th Ave
    Tonopah, AZ 85354

http://www.findfuelstops.com/truck-stop-000646

Burnt Wells Rest Area is even further from Buckeye than the other rest area (TA Tonopah). I wonder if they got as far as Burnt Wells, then decided to go back home, stopped at TA Tonopah to rest, something happened, and the boyfriend continued his journey home without her until the police found him.

I'm not sure if I should suspect the kid, but something is weird here, and Leah still hasn't been found after several days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Dreamer View Post
    The BF can remember that Leah was wearing a red plaid shirt and not a blue one but he can't remember where she is? Seems a little odd but that's just MOO

GigTu is offline ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ
    Quote Originally Posted by TweekTweak View Post
    Burnt Wells Rest Area is even further from Buckeye than the other rest area (TA Tonopah). I wonder if they got as far as Burnt Wells, then decided to go back home, stopped at TA Tonopah to rest, something happened, and the boyfriend continued his journey home without her until the police found him.

I'm not sure if I should suspect the kid, but something is weird here, and Leah still hasn't been found after several days.
    Biting my tongue.....

alreetlike is offline All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -- wait and hope
    The circumstances here seem a bit bizarre. Hopefully she's safe and just hasn't been spotted yet, but it's worrying given the condition the boyfriend was found in.

I think that the circumstances are VERY bizarre. Almost like a movie script. Made up by a teenager?

There is a lot of vacant land out there if they wandered from the highway. I make that rip 2-3times a year and there is nothing for miles between Tonopah and Quartzite. Lots of trucks though and depending on the rest areas and if they are open, there could be dangerous situations out there. I am worried about this girl.
    Where is Sky Metalwala???

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast