1182 users online (256 members and 926 guests)  

Websleuths News

Hellishly annoying, Facebook app offended many

I hated this thing, and that was only based on its similarity to the old snail-mail, boastful Christmas letter xeroxes of yore -- let alone its reminding me of 17 weeks spent in hospital in '14!

Facebook’s ‘Year in Review’ app swings from merely annoying to tragic (Washington Post)

---
    The default tagline for the posts is “It’s been a great year! Thanks for being a part of it.” But not everyone actually had a great year. For some users, the prompts to view their own digital year in review may dig up painful memories.

Eric Meyer, a web design consultant and writer, is one of those people. Earlier this year, he lost his daughter to brain cancer on her sixth birthday.
    ---
    But Facebook put a personalized prompt advertising the feature in his newsfeed [....] prominently featuring the face of his dead daughter -- surrounded by what appears to be clip art figures having a party.
    ---
    the story at the links

Facebook Sorry for Making Users Relive Hellish Year With Year in Review (Gawker)

^ good reader comments section here

The comment in the article where the FB guy says he thanks the man for "taking the time in his grief" to contact them sounds soooo condescending to me. As if the man wasn't really grieving if he was able to complain to FB.

Did the FB app automatically create a person's "year in review"? I saw several from some FB friends in my feed, but my FB did not create one for me automatically.
    Judgment is not about destruction, but about setting things right.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoda View Post
    Did the FB app automatically create a person's "year in review"? I saw several from some FB friends in my feed, but my FB did not create one for me automatically.
    It does once you click on it, but it gives you a chance to custom tailor it. I liked it because it gave me a chance to show off the good highlights from my year for once!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie