1177 users online (217 members and 960 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    You'll find some here:

http://www.highwayoftears.ca/
    http://www.thehighwayoftears.piczo.com/?cr=1
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2560171651

I will look for more/better links for you.

I would actually like to see a subforum for the Highway of Tears.
    Thank you!

Yes, a forum would be a good idea. It's a large and complex investigation and deserves much more attention than it gets. Those poor women...
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Thank you!

Yes, a forum would be a good idea. It's a large and complex investigation and deserves much more attention than it gets. Those poor women...
    The reason I suggest it is that there does seem to be a need for resources on the missing victims, and I think WS would be a great place for it.

People should care more about this. It is a horrible thing.

Quote Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
    Is there a list of these missing women anywhere, with descriptions and other information? The Unidentified section lists a number of women who are thought to be of native ancestry who might be connected.
    http://missingnativewomen.ca/
    Last edited by WhyaDuck?; 02-17-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    Oh, thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

While we explore this, I want to express some thoughts. There is a fine line between acknowleging the lifestyle of the missing/murdered women and blaming them for being victims. I doubt anyone wakes up one day and says, "hey I think I will become the possible victim of a serial predator by behaving in xyz fashion."

People who are marginalized need more attention than most in a case like this, imo. A transient lifestyle makes you hard to look for-some where there is a family member sadly wondering where their loved one is. Being a native doesnt appear to me to be the sole reason to consider someone marginalized, either...so I think we have to be very sensitive while we explore the relationships between these cases.

My
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Another WS thread on this topic:
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88337"]BC 'Highway of Tears' search of property - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

New forum up and running:

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=439"]Western Canada's Highway of Tears - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

OTTAWA — Some street prostitutes in Ottawa’s east end say they are unsettled after learning that a john tried to kill one of their colleagues, who was choked unconscious and then dragged to her attacker’s car.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Working in the Ottawa east end’s sex trade has been particularly tough the past few years.

Jennifer Stewart, 36, was found dead in a Vanier parking lot in August 2010.

Kelly Morrisseau, 27, and pregnant, was found naked and bleeding in a parking lot near Gatineau Park in 2006.

She died in hospital and an autopsy showed she had been stabbed at least a dozen times while trying to fight off her attacker.

The Vanier street prostitutes, both aboriginal, were knifed to death.

Jennifer Stewart worked the same Vanier streets as Morrisseau. Also a mother, she turned tricks to feed her crack habit. She had stab wounds to her head, legs and wrists and was found dead a short walk from her apartment.

Around the time Stewart was killed, streetwalkers of Vanier, as they call themselves, said they had been having a lot of trouble with two bad johns.

One was said to flash a badge of some sort, say he was a police officer and demand free sexual favours, threatening arrest if the prostitute refused. Another john was said to be quick to wave a knife to force them to give him sex for free

There are 41 unsolved murders on the Ottawa Police books, including several prostitute killings. The latest involved a woman named Leeanne Lawson, who was found dead in a parking lot near King Edward Avenue in September. [2011]
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ot...237/story.html
    My posts are merely my humble opinion. Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy nor use any post made by me for anything.
    ★ Thank you ★

Quote Originally Posted by Trino View Post
    I think you're missing something, since I'm a history teacher. The Trail of Tears has been in history books for years, as has been Wounded Knee. Every h.s. history teacher that I know teaches both. And, yes, they are both in The Americans, a widely distributed text.
    These incidences are certainly NOT taught to any real degree in American schools. I never knew anything about Wounded Knee other than the name until I read Brown's book back in high school on my own. The first time i heard about the Trail of Tears was as a boy when I got map from my mother than showed it plotted out. It was years before I read in depth about it from the books of John Upton Terrell and cannot recall it being covered in school except perhaps very lightly. Incidents as the Sand Creek Massacre were never mentioned at all and i doubt that they still are. The incident was so horrific, so unbelievable, that I doubt a single white American wants his or her child to be taught about the kind of things their ancestors did to "civilize" this country. Or that this kind of thing went on in Vietnam (My Lai) and Iraq.

At the same time, when I read the title of this folder from the main page, even before I opened it, I knew if was going to be about native women and not white women. It had to be. If that many white women were disappearing in Canada, the whole world would have heard about it. It's inconceivable that many native women could die or disappear but nobody really cares. If they were white, the cops would have caught the guy long ago. Don't bother to argue that with me because you won't change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel View Post
    If someone wants to talk about a racial group that gets little or no media attention or discussion...

Try to find "Trail of Tears" in your kid's history books!
    My ancestors walked that trail.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

There is a 48 Hours show on this right now on CBS.

Everything is MOO and I am always willing to be wrong!

October 2013 marked 60 years since Evelyn Hartley's violent kidnapping while babysitting.

We need fresh eyes in the case - please visit us in
    Evelyn's thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
    There is a 48 Hours show on this right now on CBS.

Im watching it now...breathtaking
    The World Has Gone Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Im watching it now...breathtaking
    I just realized right now it's a new episode, I thought it was a repeat.

October 2013 marked 60 years since Evelyn Hartley's violent kidnapping while babysitting.

Evelyn's thread!

Wow - I haven't been following this case much but they suspect the recently discovered American killer to be a killer of up to 7 women in Oregon.

Evelyn's thread!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast