FL - Maria Suarez Cassagne, 48, found decapitated, Pinellas County, 31 Dec 2014

PastTense

Reaction score
The crime scene was one of the grisliest Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri could remember: a 48-year-old mother found decapitated at her home, her son accused of swinging the ax.

Gualtieri said Christian Gomez, 23, was upset because his mother wanted him to move some boxes into the attic of their house. So on New Year's Eve he killed Maria Suarez Cassagne in the garage, repeatedly hitting her with an ax until he severed her head, Gualtieri said.
http://personals.tampabay.com/news/...an-arrested-in-new-years-eve-homicide/2212145

What a tragic case. Although I can foresee a MH defense bring built, it appears very clear to me this perp not only premeditated this crime, he was sane when he committed it.

More from your link (thank you for ousting it, PastTense):

The victim lived with three others in the house at (redacted) Sheffield Court: Gomez; an older son named MG (redacted), 27; and a 16-year-old daughter. Gomez sometimes felt jealous of his older brother, believing his mother gave him more attention, Gualtieri said.

Gomez spent two days planning her murder, Gualtieri said.

After cutting off his mother's head, he carried it out of the garage and put it in a trash can outside the house, Gualtieri said. Next, he dragged her body outside but was unable to hoist it into the trash can.

Gomez then left the house on a bicycle.

At the time, the teenage daughter was out of the house working at a pizza restaurant, but older brother MG (redacted) was home in his room. He heard some kind of thumping — not realizing it was the swinging ax — and came out to see what was wrong. He discovered his mother's body.

(snip)

They noted the blood on his socks. He admitted to the killing, Gualtieri said, and acknowledged knowing it was wrong and against the law.

That conversation could be closely scrutinized in future court proceedings, particularly if Gomez' defense attorneys argue he should be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

-----

:(

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is horrible! But surprised that LE gave out so much information in that interview. Right at the git-go. Not like they are looking for a perp, maybe that's the difference.

That "son" is a nasty piece of work.

Oldsmar man arrested for decapitating mother over chores, deputies say - WFLA News Channel 8

The victim:
1688a3ac47b404a2de953f2a8f0c92bd.jpg

(snip)

"He was upset because his mother for the last couple of days had been trying to get him to put these boxes in the attic and because he was mad at her for telling her to put these boxes in the attic, he planned her murder for two days," said the Sheriff. "In a very calm, cool way, he explained what he did, why he did it and what happened and by talking to him, you wouldn't know he had any mental illness…that's very scary."

http://www.wfla.com/story/27743083/...rested?clienttype=generic&smartdevicecgbypass

According to articles linked above in previous posts, the older brother was home at the time.
He is lucky that he wasn't a victim as well--it was stated that the younger brother (the ax murderer) felt the mother favored the older boy.

Scary....mental illness.

So very tragic.

Moo

I went through the embedded video and the segment didn't start until almost 4 1/2 minutes in, with some strange story about hangover injections (I think? It was out of context so :cow: and a TON of commercials. I hope they fix this! Anyhow, I managed to pull another screen grab of the victim. Such a beautiful mother. The interviews paint a picture of someone who truly didn't deserve this. :tears: )

85b0657abacba539f0fe26758e3080f1.jpg

34fb86b353378c3f9256497185bd0307.jpg

:rose:

Christian Gomez, 23, has been charged with first-degree murder and is in the Pinellas County Jail. Deputies found the decapitated body of 48-year-old Maria Suarez Cassagne alongside garbage cans outside of the Tampa-area home, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. Her head was inside one of them. She was killed with an ax.

Her older son discovered her body & called 911.
The younger Gomez -- who admitted to the murder, according to the Sheriff's Office -- was apparently fed up with his mother's "nagging" over the previous two days about moving some boxes into the attic,

Are beheadings happening more often?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/01/us/florida-woman-decapitated/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

And easier involuntary commitals are brought into the discussion. The Pinellas County man accused of cutting off his mother's head with an ax on New Year's Eve had a long history of arrests and mental illness. Officials say there are 30 incidents involving Gomez on record with the sheriff’s office. Detectives say Gomez was cool, calm, and collected as he confessed what he’d done, explaining how he’d planned to kill his mother, and how he used an ax to chop off her head.

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...ticles/bn9/2015/1/2/sheriff_decapitation.html

I just read about this and came right here to see if there was a thread. Here's a pic of the son/suspect, Christian Gomez, from WFLA:

6340216_G.jpg

I want to comment on his photo, but in respect for Websleuths et all I will refrain.

That's just plain crazy! He was too old to even still be living at home unless he was in college still. But he looks like he might be handicapped and maybe could have mental issues. He should have taken the boxes when she told him to and she wouldn't have needed to nag him. Yeesh!

I just read about his mental illness and all his past issues. People like this should be forced into a mental instutition where they can get help and not hurt others, and forced to take their medications. They should be closely supervised by people who can control them if they get out of control. They are too dangerous to just turn loose in society.

‘How could he be found competent after what he did?’
Published: July 27, 2018
Updated: July 27, 2018 at 12:28 PM

The mental health therapist, one of a parade over the years, recommended Christian Gomez might try socializing a little more. As if some coffee shop rendezvous would be therapeutic for an increasingly withdrawn schizophrenic who skinned and buried the family cat.
[...]
On the afternoon of Dec. 30, 2014, Christian’s grandparents took him for a regularly scheduled visit with a therapist where it was decided the then-23-year-old needed to find a new psychiatrist.

The next day Christian cut off his mother’s head.
• • •
He is crazy no more. At least not according to the state of Florida.

After roughly three years in a state mental hospital, Christian Gomez, now 27, was declared competent to stand trial on July 9. Facing a life sentence, he accepted a plea deal that effectively works out to a 25-year sentence followed by 10 years of probation and treatment. Factor in time already served and the possibility of an early release, and he could potentially be free in another 20 years or so.

It’s a possibility that has left his relatives deeply troubled.

And terribly frightened.
[...]

He would only be 52 years old if he is released after 25 years. Probation for 10 years is not going to protect people or animals that come into contact with this monster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back