Mario Cuomo, three-term NY governor, dead at 82

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Mario Cuomo, Governor, Governor’s Father and an Eloquent Liberal Beacon, Dies at 82 (New York Times)

---
In an era when liberal thought was increasingly discredited, Mr. Cuomo, a man of large intellect and often unrestrained personality, celebrated it, challenging Ronald Reagan at the height of his presidency with an expansive and affirmative view of government and a message of compassion, tinged by the Roman Catholicism that was central to Mr. Cuomo’s identity.
---
He was a tenacious debater and a spellbinding speaker at a time when political oratory seemed to be shrinking to the size of the television set. Delivering the keynote address at the 1984 Democratic National Convention in San Francisco, he eclipsed his party’s nominee, former Vice President Walter F. Mondale, seizing on Reagan’s description of America as “a shining city on a hill” to portray the president as unaware of impoverished Americans. “Mr. President,” he said, “you ought to know that this nation is more a ‘tale of two cities’ than it is just a ‘shining city on a hill.' ”
---

RIP, Governor M. Cuomo.

I won a trivia game pool at a work Christmas party one year after I was the only one there that could identify him as the speaker of a snippet of his 1984 DNC speech. I have always admired his oratory skills.

Loved that '84 speech. Jesse Jackson's, too, was memorable, and featured the best line:

I would rather have Roosevelt in a wheelchair than Reagan on a horse.

Great speaker-maybe now we'll find out what they had on him that kept him from running for president.

DM, with AP article and pics:

'He did so much for the capital of the world, New York': Joe Biden and Nancy
Pelosi among hundreds lining streets for wake of former governor Mario Cuomo

⁍ Cuomo was governor of New York from 1983 to 1994
⁍ He died aged 82 Thursday, just after his son was sworn in for second term
⁍ Nancy Pelosi was among politicians at his wake, on Madison Avenue
⁍ Joe Biden and Bill and Hillary Clinton expected to attend funeral Tuesday
⁍ Mayor Bill de Blasio ordered flags to fly at half staff for 30 days

The best (last?) of the working class Catholic democrats. RIP Mario!

Seeing flags here at half staff in respect for such a dedicated public servant pushed my "glad to be an American" button while in town today. Similarly, Senator Edward Brooke's death this same week underscored that feeling of pride.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back