Trial date set for Sidney and Tammy Moorer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_cd4a57b8-92a5-11e4-9ae5-0fc83146c69d.html?mode=jqm

idney and Tammy Moorer's murder trial date has been set, and 800 jurors will be called when the Heather Elvis case comes to trial in May, according to court documents filed Wednesday with the Horry County Clerk of Court.

In related matters, an at large judge from Moncks Corner now has “concurrent jurisdiction” in the Moorer murder trial, which is scheduled for May 11, court records state.

What a Freudian typo above. idney lost his head and that's why we're here talking about him.

Anyway, the window of opportunity to cut a deal is closing, now that a trial date has been set — although not in stone so I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more delays.

I'm torn. Do I want one to plead out and tell the whole sordid tale on the stand, albeit in a self-serving way while throwing their beloved under the bus? Or do I want them both yoked together to the bitter end?

I'd go with a plea deal *only* if it brings Heather home to her family.

What a Freudian typo above. idney lost his head and that's why we're here talking about him.

Anyway, the window of opportunity to cut a deal is closing, now that a trial date has been set — although not in stone so I wouldn't be surprised to see one or more delays.

I'm torn. Do I want one to plead out and tell the whole sordid tale on the stand, albeit in a self-serving way while throwing their beloved under the bus? Or do I want them both yoked together to the bitter end?

I'd go with a plea deal *only* if it brings Heather home to her family.

I think they have too much on one another for it to make sense for either one to be a turncoat, but perhaps there's a surprise ending. Whatever the case, I'd like to believe the more they hang together, the more likely they both suffer the full scope of shared consequences. I would be concerned that one plea deal results in a plea deal for the one under the bus, and none of this benefits the Elvis family or brings Heather to a respectful place of rest. I've always been a little concerned there may never be a trial for either.

I don't think they'll ever fully give up what they did to her, and I suspect her remains are so far gone, they can be certain that any recovery, if that's even possible, won't reveal what really happened. To that extent, the passage of time is on their side, and they may decide to squeal at 11:59 rather than face a prosecutor and a jury. But no matter what, there will be drama. And more drama. And I'm concerned the consequences in any scenario may be far less than what is deserved.

It also may be that given how the law is written, there's nothing to be gained from talking. If the law doesn't leave room for a lesser consequence, they may prefer taking their chances at trial, with their lawyers giving their best performances in chipping away at the state's circumstantial case.

800 potential jurors being called. Wow, I don't think they had that many for OJ or Robert Blake's trials

I think they just got lucky. Dumped her or buried her somewhere very remote and no one has stumbled across the right place yet, the way skeletal remains are usually found.

I still think they fed her to alligators as horrible as that is to imagine.

I will always believe that they placed her in one of the dumpsters that SM was familiar with. She will never be found now.

So they will be tried together then?

As far as I can tell. That was a bit of a surprise when only one trial date was set, as I had assumed the Ms would be tried separately.

I hope they are tried together so the same jurors can hear and evaluate each perp's defense at the same time. Not as easy to get away with it if you can't blame everything on an accomplice who isn't even in the courtroom to defend him/herself, IMO.

I still think they fed her to alligators as horrible as that is to imagine.

I believe that as well, or at least put her in water in which there could be (or have been) alligators.

Monckton says jurors will not be disqualified just because they know about the case. "You're only to base your decision, only on the evidence presented in the courtroom, not what you hear on a blog, not what you see on T.V. Its only what's in the court room and if you can do that, the judge will put you on the panel," Monckton said.

Monckton says any potential defense motion to move the trial out of Horry County can't happen until they try to seat a jury.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/27751546/heather-elvis-murder-trial-date-set-for-sidney-tammy-moorer

Circuit Court Judge Markley Dennis was one of two possible trial judges tapped to hear the case. Circuit Court Judge George James of Sumter was the other.

Judge Steven John assumed jurisdiction to hear matters in the Elvis case on April 2, 2014. His Dec. 31 order shares that jurisdiction with Judge Dennis.

John’s order also suggests the trial itself will remain in Horry County, jurors will report to the Horry County Government and Justice Center in Conway on May 11 for jury qualification. Judge John stated that a panel of 800 jurors will be called for the weeks of May 11 and May 18. From that pool, a panel of 12 jurors will be chosen, with two or as many as four alternates.

http://www.myhorrynews.com/news/crime/article_cd4a57b8-92a5-11e4-9ae5-0fc83146c69d.html

Monckton says jurors will not be disqualified just because they know about the case. "You're only to base your decision, only on the evidence presented in the courtroom, not what you hear on a blog, not what you see on T.V. Its only what's in the court room and if you can do that, the judge will put you on the panel," Monckton said.

Monckton says any potential defense motion to move the trial out of Horry County can't happen until they try to seat a jury.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/27751546/heather-elvis-murder-trial-date-set-for-sidney-tammy-moorer

What if you've been talking about it on Websleuths for the past year? :facepalm:
:websleuther::judge:

Sidney Moorer's defense attorney files motion seeking bond hearing in Elvis case
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2015 4:25 pm | Updated: 4:56 pm, Mon Jan 5, 2015
By Michael Smith

Sidney Moorer’s defense attorney is asking an Horry County judge to set bond, saying in recently filed court records Moorer “could not be legally convicted” of kidnapping and murdering Heather Elvis.

[...]

Evidence provided through the discovery process proves Sidney Moorer is entitled to bond, Truslow’s motion states.

“Defense counsel has had the opportunity to review the discovery provided,” the motion states. “The discovery provided not only contradicts the state’s representations at the initial bond hearing, but further establishes that Sidney Moorer could not be legally convicted of the crimes charged.”

[...]

BBM

Lack of evidence (against SM) possibly?
Or perhaps all the discovery has not been released by the State?:thinking:

Is SM's Attorney, Truslow playing the "No body — No crime" card already?

MOTION FOR BOND .PDF

*4. Defense counsel submits that Sidney Moorer is entitle a bond. A more detailed explanation and analysis is set forth in Defendant's memorandum in support of his motion for band, which will be provided to the Court and State.

As far as I can tell. That was a bit of a surprise when only one trial date was set, as I had assumed the Ms would be tried separately.

I hope they are tried together so the same jurors can hear and evaluate each perp's defense at the same time. Not as easy to get away with it if you can't blame everything on an accomplice who isn't even in the courtroom to defend him/herself, IMO.
I am surprised that the Moorers' lawyers haven't requested to have them separated!

BBM: Well, no. The judge doesn't get say on who is on the panel. The jury panel is made up of the people summoned as qualified jurors, by the court administrator. (You know when you get that jury summons? Everyone who got one and didn't have a good reason not to go to jury duty is part of that panel). The actual jurors are chosen from the jury panel. The people selected for jury duty (jury panel) are only selected based on being a registered voter in South Carolina.

This guy isn't the sharpest pencil in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123