OK OK - Tracey Neilson, 21, Moore, 5 January 1981

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
024d9d7d-a062-44cf-be4c-9a207d6f1022_zps26da85f1.jpg

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-investig...-in-34-year-old-homicide-case/article/5381211

Thirty-four years after a young woman was killed on her birthday inside her Moore apartment, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is still looking for leads in the case.

On Jan. 5, 1981, Tracey Neilson, 21, was found dead by her husband after he returned to their home from class at the University of Oklahoma medical school. Neilson’s throat was cut and she had multiple stab wounds, according to an account in The Oklahoman from the day after the incident.

There was no sign of forced entry. The homicide remains unsolved, authorities said.

http://www.moorecrimetips.com/Tracey_Neilson.html

On Monday, January 5, 1981, Tracey Diane Neilson, 21 years of age, was found dead with multiple stab wounds in her apartment located at 1104 NW 10th Street. Tracey was a junior at the University of Oklahoma in Norman. She lived with her husband of five months who was also a student at the University. Tracey was killed around noon and she was found neatly dressed.

http://www.news9.com/story/27749178/osbi-to-display-critical-evidence-in-moore-cold-case

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) said it will hold a press conference at 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 5 regarding a 34-year-old homicide case...

Authorities told News 9 a critical piece of evidence will be displayed at the press conference. OSBI officials said they will also announce a reward for information on the case and several of Neilson's family members will speak.

Vintage MSM coverage:

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth184204/m1/7/

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth184206/m1/7/

If they figure out who this perp is, they might well find other victims, imo.

Police pin hopes for break in 34-year-old murder to cable receipt

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/0...r-old-cold-case-murder-oklahoma-woman-tracey/

"On Monday, the 34th anniversary of Neilson’s death, authorities announced they are working to identify the owner of a cable trouble assignment ticket book. The last ticket in the book is for work done at the Neilson home at 11:51 a.m. the day Tracey was killed, according to investigators. On the bottom left corner of the book is a box for the employee name with three letters scribbled inside. A box was checked indicating the job had been completed.

“We want to identify the three letters written in that box,” the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said at a press conference Monday on what would have been Neilson’s 55th birthday.

Was this not looked into originally or are they having another look at it I wonder?

Police pin hopes for break in 34-year-old murder to cable receipt

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/0...r-old-cold-case-murder-oklahoma-woman-tracey/

"On Monday, the 34th anniversary of Neilson’s death, authorities announced they are working to identify the owner of a cable trouble assignment ticket book. The last ticket in the book is for work done at the Neilson home at 11:51 a.m. the day Tracey was killed, according to investigators. On the bottom left corner of the book is a box for the employee name with three letters scribbled inside. A box was checked indicating the job had been completed.

“We want to identify the three letters written in that box,” the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said at a press conference Monday on what would have been Neilson’s 55th birthday.

Was this not looked into originally or are they having another look at it I wonder?

That was my thought, too. It seems rather obvious. Can't they check employee records, too?

That was my thought, too. It seems rather obvious. Can't they check employee records, too?

After so many years, it will be amazing if the cable company still has records. Would this have been when computers were just coming into BIG companies? Like you, why or how was this point not checked out back at the time of the murder. It looks like a big mistake in the investigation IMO!

If they figure out who this perp is, they might well find other victims, imo.

We have a number of cases of teens/young women in the Cold Case forum who were brutally murdered in Oklahoma during the late '70s-early '80s. Some of them obviously (to me) by husband/BF, but I've often wondered if there were one or more serial killers here in the state at that time.

Going cross-eyed trying to figure out what those letters are, for now - guessing it starts with a small capital R ( or B) which swirls into an O, then an i, or r, U .
jmo.

Does it say Bir? Boir?

It appears to be a signature not just 3 letters. Bru...? I am pretty sure about the first two, but it could be anything after the r.

The time on it is 11:51 and she was murdered they think around noon. Did the person actually work for the cable company or was it a ruse? If it was a ruse, how did the person know details listed on that ticket such as cable, pair, test, etc.? Those seem specific and add credibility, but maybe those were part of the ruse, too?

The person's 5 is rather unique. It resembles an S more than a 5 except on the date.

Trouble Cause: Inter? Can anyone figure out what it says?

I am guessing DNA or prints did not give them any clues.

Murder Victim's Husband Hopes Evidence Leads To Arrest In Moore Cold Case

OKLAHOMA CITY - A Durant surgeon said he's hopeful evidence released leads to an arrest for his wife's murder 34-years ago Monday. Tracey Neilson, 21, was murdered by an attacker with a knife on Jan. 5, 1981. It was her birthday.

Neilson and her husband Jeff had been married less than six months. Jeff Neilson found his wife's body in the Jamestown Square Apartments they shared in Moore.

~Snip~

Tracey Neilson's family, Moore police, and the OSBI are offering an $11,000 reward for information leading to an arrest. The OSBI hotline number is (800) 522-8017.

http://www.news9.com/story/27767042...s-evidence-leads-to-arrest-in-moore-cold-case

Jeffrey Neilson, who had attended day-long classes, was ruled out as a suspect and no motive was ever established, Brown told FoxNews.com.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing an unknown white male near Neilson’s front door around the suspected time of the attack, Brown said. Police detected a single fingerprint and other forensic evidence at the scene but a positive match has never been made...

In 1994, Jeff Neilson’s family helped pass a state law to fund Oklahoma’s first automated fingerprint identification system, enabling authorities to scan a database full of latent prints searching for matching characteristics. While authorities could not identify the fingerprint in the Neilson case, the system helped solve hundreds of violent crimes in Oklahoma.

Graduated from Moore in 1983. Vaguely remember some things about this case. I think the book didn't belong to the local cable company. I think the police at the time researched it heavily. It was probably used as a ruse or something to taunt or mislead the cops. Frank Duane Welch was convicted of using the same ruse in 1987 in neighboring town, Norman, OK. The crimes for which he was convicted involved bondage and strangulation. Tracy was stabbed. Welch had been fired from the local cable company and still had his uniform. I would think faking a uniform wouldn't be that difficult. Even just dressing up like a workman might have been effective. It should have been possible to identify what company was using this pad, but it could easily have been stolen. Can anyone read the trouble cause? Also, is it prenumbered at the top?

[video=youtu;_l6iCUn_tls]http://youtu.be/_l6iCUn_tls[/video]

Moore had some really bad things happening at this time. It was a small town, but had heavy drug activity, a very corrupt local government. It was a working class community. Curtis Edward McCarty lived within a few blocks of her apartment at the time of her death. It is possible he went to junior high and/or high school with her. He was let off death row due to problems with the evidence on the 1982 murder of Pam Willis, but many people, believe he was likely involved. He also took the police to the body of a 7 yo girl who was raped and beaten to death with a baseball bat. He agreed to testify against the other person involved and give her body up, in exchange for immunity from prosecution (turned state's evidence). Tamara Carter was murdered at the Sharp Cleaners in 1982. Michael Eugene Harmon was convicted for that murder, but his case hinged on an eyewitness who was hypnotized to remember and I believe he was later exonerated. I do also believe a serial killer was active in this area during this time.

Graduated from Moore in 1983. Vaguely remember some things about this case. I think the book didn't belong to the local cable company. I think the police at the time researched it heavily. It was probably used as a ruse or something to taunt or mislead the cops. Frank Duane Welch was convicted of using the same ruse in 1987 in neighboring town, Norman, OK. The crimes for which he was convicted involved bondage and strangulation. Tracy was stabbed. Welch had been fired from the local cable company and still had his uniform. I would think faking a uniform wouldn't be that difficult. Even just dressing up like a workman might have been effective. It should have been possible to identify what company was using this pad, but it could easily have been stolen. Can anyone read the trouble cause? Also, is it prenumbered at the top?

Hello infertilemyrtle, cute handle you have there, I had a chuckle reading that. So are you saying the existence of the book was known to the public way back then but its contents wasn't shared with the public until now? I'm just trying to understand why this wasn't shared earlier. I did read in the NewsOk site that a law was passed in 2011 allowing LE to release info about a crime that could help bring resolution to a case and that's what allowed them to release this possible would be killers signature. I hope it helps to bring this person to justice but seems like they would have been better served releasing it 3 decades ago.

With my less than 20/20 eyesight I'm guessing it reads Lor or possibly Jor

34bbaa38-57f9-43d2-bef9-db431673bf91_zpsa19c3e52.jpg

Can't quite make out the first letter; it's cursive, could be an S, an L, an F... maybe an I?

The second and third letters are o and r and the rest of the signature is just a line.

Forrest somebody? Ford?

Lorne?

Sor... can't think of anything that works with that.

It's very possible the signature is the initial of a first name and then a full last name.

S. Or...

F. Or...

L. Or...

I. Or...

Orson. Orton. Orman. Ornelas. Orcutt. Orendorff. Orbison.

Yeah, that's all I got.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back