Edward Brooke, first African-American elected to Senate by popular vote, dead at 95

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Good NYT obit at link below:

Edward W. Brooke III, who in 1966 became the first African-American elected to the United States Senate by popular vote, winning as a Republican in overwhelmingly Democratic Massachusetts, died on Saturday at his home in Coral Gables, Fla. He was 95.

His death was confirmed by Ralph Neas, a family spokesman, who said Mr. Brooke was surrounded by members of his family.

He won his Senate seat by nearly a half-million votes in 1966 and was re-elected in 1972. He remains the only black senator ever to have been returned to office.
---
Edward Brooke, Pioneering U.S. Senator in Massachusetts, Dies at 95

R.I.P. Edward.

In crime, he is probably best known as the Attorney General for Massachusetts during the time of the Boston Strangler Case and he played a major role in the investigation. In the movie, he was portrayed by William Marshall.

Man, I know I'm getting old and undoubtedly succumbing to that "my life and times were far superior to this tepid tapwater served as tea today," lol, but, with Mario C.'s and now Edward B.'s passing, I must point back proudly and say that once upon a time giants really did walk the earth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back