842 users online (147 members and 695 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Task Delegation; What tasks/suggestions/enquiries are you currently working on?

Hello to my favourite sleuths!

So, as we are all aware, we are in the heightened mode at the moment of wanting to to a million things at one time! We are all so excited! We have an amazing lead, and we want to make sure that it is followed as thoroughly as possible. Every single poster on these threads has been wonderful. Making suggestions, offering tips, asking to help.. It is heartwarming, and it has brought me to tears a few times, seeing just how much all of you care about our boy, and his plight.

Our darling Roselvr, made the suggestion of delegation, and ensuring that multiple people aren't contacting multiple places, agencies, media outlets or people.

So, this post was born! (All credit to Roselvr). There is an older version of this, but I figured with the new leads we could do with a new one! This will make sure our efforts are streamlined, and succinct. I will up date this every evening with information (I'm sorry if I've seemed slack on the updates, just work is busy! Luckily, I don't need much sleep, so I'm happy to work away at nighttime!)

Okay, so, I'll break up some topics and areas. If you have made enquiries into these areas - Please let me know, what the specific area is and what you were seeking information about. A lot of you have already told us what you are doing; But if you could post here, it would be wonderful (That way, I know we have permission to publicly say what you are doing) If you don't want your username posted publicly, swing me a PM and I will add what you have done with a code name

If anyone has a better idea to organise this all; Please let me know! I'm open to any suggestions and changes!

SOUTH CAROLINA:
    - GM posted enquiry to subreddits dedicated to South Carolina, Charleston and Myrtle Beach

WASHINGTON D.C
    - GM posted enquiry to subreddits dedicated to Washington D.C
    - Roselvr made two posts regarding the 1995 Grateful Dead RFK Stadium concert
    - http://www.dead.net/show/june-24-199...comment-590576
    - http://www.dead.net/show/june-25-199...comment-590581

ILLINOIS:
    - GM posted enquiry to subreddits dedicated to University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and Illinois

VIRGINIA:
    - GM posted enquiry to subreddits dedicated to Virginia

NEW YORK STATE:
    - GM posted enquiry to subreddits dedicated to Albany and New York State
    - Roselvr made two posts regarding the 1995 Grateful Dead Knickbocker arena concert
    - http://www.dead.net/show/june-21-199...comment-590591
    - http://www.dead.net/show/june-22-199...comment-590596

VERMONT:

MUSIC SCENES:

THE MEDIA:

LAW ENFORCEMENT:

MEDICAL:

EDUCATION (SCHOOLS OR COLLEGES):

EMPLOYMENT:

SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES:
    - Message received by GM by user of PT Forums

INDIVIDUAL USERS:
    Last edited by greymetal; 01-06-2015 at 08:19 AM.
    "If I knew the way, I would take you home..."

Nearly 20 years without a name, Grateful Doe.

Made 4 posts
    Knickerbocker Arena - June 21, 1995
    Knickerbocker Arena - June 22, 1995

Robert F. Kennedy Stadium - June 24, 1995
    Robert F. Kennedy Stadium - June 25, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by greymetal View Post
    Hello to my favourite sleuths!

So, as we are all aware, we are in the heightened mode at the moment of wanting to to a million things at one time! We are all so excited! We have an amazing lead, and we want to make sure that it is followed as thoroughly as possible. Every single poster on these threads has been wonderful. Making suggestions, offering tips, asking to help.. It is heartwarming, and it has brought me to tears a few times, seeing just how much all of you care about our boy, and his plight.

Our darling Roselvr, made the suggestion of delegation, and ensuring that multiple people aren't contacting multiple places, agencies, media outlets or people.

So, this post was born! (All credit to Roselvr). There is an older version of this, but I figured with the new leads we could do with a new one! This will make sure our efforts are streamlined, and succinct. I will up date this every evening with information (I'm sorry if I've seemed slack on the updates, just work is busy! Luckily, I don't need much sleep, so I'm happy to work away at nighttime!)
    You're very welcome! I just think it's easier to keep track of who's doing what & to make sure a million WS members are not contacting the same people which could really back fire!. We're all good at different things/ areas; better to have multiple people that can spread the word faster.

As you can see above, I used your 2 posts from Current Leads; Facts and Updates on the Grateful Dead concert site

You are most certainly right; You are the genius who came up with this and I think it will work perfectly!

One question, for neatness, how do I embed the links into descriptions of the link, as you have done.. If that makes any sense! :P Instead of having the full URL, having the description as clickable to go to the page?

You are most certainly right; You are the genius who came up with this and I think it will work perfectly!

One question, for neatness, how do I embed the links into descriptions of the link, as you have done.. If that makes any sense! :P Instead of having the full URL, having the description as clickable to go to the page?
    Sent the directions FB PM; cheater way is to quote me to grab the code lol
    I think that one contact letter would work the best; it will allow everyone to copy & paste it then edit with their own info.

Great idea to stay organized and more efficient. I plan to continue searching for Carolines, particularly in the South Carolina, New Jersey and DC-where he possible was-and where there are also 914 prefixes. Although he spent time with friends in Vermont, there is no such prefix there. I think I will start with DC, since the entire district has one area code, and might be why none was written with number. Still would love to get my hands on the unblurred version...

Do you all think it's a good idea to contact IL and SC departments that handle unclaimed property/contents of bank accounts? I believe if worked at McDonald's he would need a place to cash his checks so he may have had a bank account. If there was money in it the bank would be required to turn it over to the state after the account was dormant for 5 years. Given what we know about Jay/Jason he probably didn't have a bank account or would have cleaned it out before leaving either state but you never know. I'd be willing to mail letters to agencies with his probable first names, date of death, case details and contact info for the case manager. Is anyone working with McDonald's at all yet? I could start on that trail.

I've also shared the photos with midwest rainbow family I know and multiple pages in the Midwest music scene.

I posted on the other thread, but wanted to update here:

Horry Classifieds (facebook county classifieds group)

You Might be from Murrells Inlet If (facebook group.. in St James Middle School attendance zone)

My personal facebook page (I live in Myrtle beach and a lot of my friends on fb were born and raised here)

WPDE News Channel 15 is supposedly working on a story.. waiting to hear an update from my friend who works there

Contacted person who is over yearbooks at Horry County Schools (got her contact info from Saint James Middle school). She doesn't have any from that time period. She has "1 or 2 older yearbooks" but can't let them go. She asked what I needed them for. I explained the case to her and sent link to imgur post to help explain. Haven't heard anything back.

I plan to hit the libraries this Saturday to see if I can find any yearbooks there.

You guys are all awesome!

Personally, I'm contacting various crime blogs I enjoy reading asking if they would do a story.

Posting on Facebook

Constantly refreshing here and reddit hoping for a big break.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if ANYONE has contacted the ME on this case with these new leads. That has to be done.

Hi all!

Just went to update my original post with some corrected links (Thanks Roselvr ), and new delegations. But I can't seem to edit?

Anyone know a way around this, or is my lack of sleep making me be sillier than usual?

I smile at every single post I come back to after work and see. The enthusiasm is wonderful.. You all keep me going!!

Jbluesky, I was hoping there was someone local who could check libraries for yearbooks!! I have some free time today and was going to make some calls and see what might be available. I will update here if I find out anything. Also, has anyone else checked on Ancestry.com? I know they have different yearbooks available than classmates. I have not renewed my subscription yet, but am thinking now might be the time. If I am going to check there, are Horry and Charleston counties the main ones to start with? Any high schools that would be most likely? Keep up the great work, guys!!! I just saw that he is featured on the highlighted bar at the top of the page

Hi all!

Just went to update my original post with some corrected links (Thanks Roselvr ), and new delegations. But I can't seem to edit?

Anyone know a way around this, or is my lack of sleep making me be sillier than usual?

I smile at every single post I come back to after work and see. The enthusiasm is wonderful.. You all keep me going!!
    After a certain amount of time the posts can no longer be edited. You could copy and edit the original and post a new one, or contact a Mod I am not sure if they can "unlock" an older post for editing or not.

I was thinking that maybe Tricia could help by contacting David Lohr, he is the one that wrote the HuffPo article last April. He might be interested in updating and that would reach many new people. What do you think?
    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. J. Lennon NYC

jbluesky or any other locals who may have time to look at old yearbooks, the Charleston library on Calhoun street seems to have a great many high school ones in our time frame (1990-1994?) I spoke to the woman in the SC History room on the phone and she was super helpful. Here is a partial list of what she gave me:
    (Apologies if any were noted incorrectly!)
    Baptist Hill 1990-1992, 1995
    Dorchester 1993+
    Gordon H. Garrett 1989-1993
    Middleton 1990 and 1995
    N. Charleston 1990-1991 and 1993-1995
    Herbie?/arby? Stall 1992
    st Andrews high 1991-1992, 1994+
    Summerville 1992-1993

The Horry county library in Conway did not have any, but mentioned that the high schools themselves might. The librarian said the three main high schools would probably be:
    Conway. High
    Carolina Forrest
    Myrtle Beach High

I hope this is of help.. I would love to do this task, but unfortunately am not near there. Or hopefully (!!!!) one of the new leads will pan out and nobody has to go looking at all

Task update:
    Sent messages to David Lohr. No reply yet.
    Sent message to "zazzle" who 2 years ago said she picked up a similar-looking hitchiker in Georgia or South Carolina. She/he hasn't been online in a while so I asked an admin to see if they could dig up zazzle's email address and ask them to look at Jay/Jason's pictures.
    I tweet like crazy and use #gratefuldoe - please retweet as much as possible to get maximum exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by averagemommy View Post
    Task update:
    Sent messages to David Lohr. No reply yet.
    Sent message to "zazzle" who 2 years ago said she picked up a similar-looking hitchiker in Georgia or South Carolina. She/he hasn't been online in a while so I asked an admin to see if they could dig up zazzle's email address and ask them to look at Jay/Jason's pictures.
    I tweet like crazy and use #gratefuldoe - please retweet as much as possible to get maximum exposure.
    I meant to say "zapped" not zazzle. Anyway - I heard back from Tricia one of the owners of WS and she said she'll contact zapped directly to see if it jogs his or her memory.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast