France - Machine Gun attack on magazine Charlie Hebdo #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
[This is the same magazine that was constantly threatened for satires that angered Jihadists. I am afraid this might be another terrorist incident.]

"The satirical weekly has courted controversy in the past with its take on news and current affairs.

Its latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

...The magazine was fire-bombed in November 2011 a day after it carried a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad."

France has had some terrible incidents recently, with cars running into innocents, and now this. Very sad.

Latest news is 12 dead including 2 LE.
This is a satirical paper which published the "Allah cartoons" a few years back.

Paris shooting: at least 12 people killed, around 10 injured, at offices of French satirical newspaper

At least 12 people have been killed by gunmen armed with Kalashnikovs and a rocket-launcher, after they opened fire in the offices of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, Paris prosecutors say.

French police say two police officers are among those killed.

At least 10 were also injured in the shooting at the Paris offices of the newspaper that has been firebombed in the past after it published cartoons in 2011 joking about Muslim leaders.

Deputy Mayor of Paris Bruno Julliard earlier said "six people are seriously injured", including a policeman.

Union official Rocco Contento described the scene inside the offices as "carnage".

French president Francois Hollande headed to the scene of the attack and the government said it was raising France's security level to the highest notch.

"This is a terrorist attack, there is no doubt about it," Mr Hollande said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-07/shooting-at-french-satirical-newspaper-charlie-hebdo/6005524

Of course it was a terrorist attack, and in my own heart I know who and why, even though the "who(s)", that pulled the trigger, will probably be a nonentity(ies).

:cow:

Fox News Network is reporting that the cartoonist who drew the "Allah" cartoon for this publication is among the wounded, hospitalized in critical condition.

The Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons were Danish, not French. Four of today's murder victims were well known French cartoonists but were not responsible for the "Allah" cartoons but Charlie Hebdo was the only paper in France that dared to publish them.

Edited to add correction to above statement (from wikipedia)

In February 2006, a Cabu cartoon which appeared on the cover of Charlie Hebdo in response to the Danish cartoons affair caused more controversy and a lawsuit.

President Hollande will hold a presser at 8pm Paris time (in 6 hours time). There will be live coverage at the link, which has live streaming in English although I'm not sure they'll have live translation of the presser itself.

This news is just dreadful. My condolences to the families of
all the dead and wounded. Mes condoleances.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwedk4dBCc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member