GUILTY CA - Ethan Odom for abducting 3yo girl, Newhall, 2015

TravelingBug

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Wild story :eek:hwow:

Considering how many times we've had (often tweens/teens) voluntarily leave through a window, and other kids of various ages lured or taken/assisted/yanked out, this is quite a story!

Authorities say a man was arrested Thursday night after a 3-year-old girl in Newhall was taken from a bedroom.

<snip>

&#8220;A male adult allegedly grabbed ahold of a 3-year-old female by reaching through a bedroom window at the female&#8217;s residence,&#8221; deputies said in the statement.

It happened shortly after 7 pm, and the version I heard on TV said the family members heard the commotion and that's what prompted them to check the room, see the screen missing and go running out after the guy and the little girl.

Family members chased the man and got back the girl, who was unharmed, according to deputies.

When authorities arrived, they had to chase the man down the street but were able to detain and arrest him.

Investigators said there is no relation between the man and the child.

Definitely seems to be a no-connection stranger abduction attempt. Every article and report I've heard has strongly stated no connection.

In one instance they said the suspect turned to the uncle - who caught him first, the dad knocked him over after to try to keep him there once they had the little girl - and said he was just trying to "return her":facepalm: (Sure dude)

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015...er-after-child-is-taken-from-newhall-bedroom/

This article gives the kidnapper's name:

Ethan Odom, 37, is now facing kidnapping charges.

http://abc7.com/news/kidnapping-victims-family-chases-suspect-down/467993/

I can't help but smile that the uncle's name is Jesus.

Yes, I speak Spanish and know it's not said Jesus, but really, so rare to see something like this end virtually before it could start and that Jesus rescued the child :D

Seriously brazen dude to have attempted to abduct a child that (relatively) early in the evening in a home where you surely can tell other people are up and about. I'm curious to see how he justifies it.

So glad to have a happy ending story that could easily have gone very bad very quickly!

When you look at the picture it's even crazier (that the guy attempted it)

248B13E900000578-2903401-Scene_The_unidentified_youngster_was_allegedly_snatched_by_the_h-m-24_1.jpg

There are doors RIGHT there - one inches away and the other one just on the other side of another window (also just inches away)

Seriously, seriously brazen.

I really wonder the motive and why THIS girl in a setting when he was setting himself up to be seen by someone - especially at that time of the evening. (Not that I'm complaining! LOL) I just wonder what made her his target.

During the incident at around 7pm, the man - who was 'wearing a hoodie' according to family members - allegedly pulled a screen off the bedroom window and reached through to the little girl.

'He leaned in the window and then told her to come toward him,' the youngster's aunt, Adriana, told KTLA 5, adding that her entire family had been in the house during the 'frightening' attack.

He really must not have known the family if it wasn't just like one parent or even just a two parent family living in the residence but there were other relatives also there.

However, after the girl's father and uncle heard a commotion and realized she was missing, they reportedly chased her attacker down the road until they were just feet away from him.

'I actually &#8230; ran behind him,' said the girl&#8217;s uncle, whose name is Jesus. 'I think he heard my footsteps and then he turned around quickly and asked me if this was my daughter.'

After Jesus told the kidnapper that the girl was his daughter in an attempt to get her back, the man handed her back to him and made to flee, her relatives said.

The most important thing is she was startled but unharmed.

During a press conference on Friday morning, deputy Joshua Dubin described the incident as a 'scary' and 'random kidnapping' that involved the suspect 'breaking out a window screen'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...abductor-street-tackle-him.html#ixzz3OP41gi5u

Wow. Just wow.

And if the family had not heard the commotion, and did not check on her for an hour or two, we would have been suspicious of them. We would have thought, WHO would reach through a window with so many adults so nearby?

Thankfully the family quickly reacted. Just like the Jessica Lunsford case a few years back, taken from her bedroom and grandparents sleeping in the other room, that was such a sad case. I am glad this case turned out for the good.

I hope the investigators do a very thorough timeline of this creepers past whereabouts. I wonder if he holds the key to any of our missing children's cases? :websleuther:

Wow. Just wow.

And if the family had not heard the commotion, and did not check on her for an hour or two, we would have been suspicious of them. We would have thought, WHO would reach through a window with so many adults so nearby?

No kidding!

I'd hate to see what he'd have tried down the road.

I mean, if this is truly completely a stranger kidnapping as has been said by everyone - all LE included - to jump right to an abduction under those conditions, well... And even if it was personal to some degree, it'd still be brazen because of all those same conditions.

SO glad her family realized what was going on.

And what you said about had they not acted on their suspicion and gone and looked, and how we'd have been suspicious, that's part of why I posted it even though it happened and was resolved all in an unbelievably short amount of time.

I figured it was probably good to have floating around in our incident/case history mental (and forum!) 'database,' just as an example of one of the brazen than most of the window lurings/abductions documented here, since it's easy even with many of the ones that aren't so extreme to jump to 'hinky' pretty quickly (and often with good reason)

Now we've got one to refer back to as an 'it really does happen' sometimes instance

I hope the investigators do a very thorough timeline of this creepers past whereabouts. I wonder if he holds the key to any of our missing children's cases? :websleuther:

I sure hope they do as well!

With no tie, it just makes it so much more brazen than it'd be anyway that it really does seem like he could well have some past - known or unknown!

So scary!

I sure hope they do as well!

With no tie, it just makes it so much more brazen than it'd be anyway that it really does seem like he could well have some past - known or unknown!

So scary!

He was so quick with his 'excuse' to the uncle---"is this your daughter?" ----pretending he found her and was returning her or something. And he had to have been watching and lurking to figure out she was in the room alone. Maybe he saw them tucking her in for the night and waited, then took off the screen? uuggghhhhhh

Now, Odom has been charged with kidnapping, attempted kidnapping and residential first degree burglary at a San Fernando court, according to Eyewitness News.

During his first court appearance on Monday, he denied the charges. Although camera crews were allowed into the courtroom, they were not permitted to take photos of the suspect's face.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ther-uncle-chased-abductor.html#ixzz3Oj0FXwU1

(I want to see what this jacka$$ looks like)

(What on earth would have happened if she had not been recovered? She would be a thread here on WS as missing, abused and found, or possibly deceased!)

Its a shame that the baby's uncle didn't have to use deadly force to save her. Because the pervert was stopped before he got away, he will be set free to hunt down his next helpless innocent victim. They won't put him in prison forever. He will only become more dangerous, more bold and more convinced that he can get away with torturing babies and children. It is ruthless evil torture to steal a child at all. I don't think any of us are foolish enough to believe that he wouldn't have brutally assaulted her in addition to destroying the poor child mentally and emotionally. Worthless piece of putrid trash.

It gets weirder:

Odom is also accused of attempting to kidnap a 9-year-old girl about a block away and less than an hour before kidnapping the 3-year-old. In that incident, the girl's uncle chased down Odom and retrieved her.

http://abc7.com/news/attempted-newhall-kidnapper-charged-with-second-abduction/472465/

And he had quite a rap sheet, mostly thefts and DUI's:

http://www.hometownstation.com/sant...-kidnapping-suspect-has-lengthy-record-118276

Holy crap. Would the block not have been lined with police after the first incident was reported? Terrifying how one can calmly put their children to sleep and not know something so evil and uncaptured had been lurking close by and might still be around. (Not blaming the family in the least, I'm sure they wish they had heard the chatter!)

The prosecution withdrew the charges of first degree burglary with a person present, which is known as a &#8220;hot prowl,&#8221; and attempted kidnapping for a child under 14.
Officials accused Odom of trying to take another small child hours before the kidnapping of a toddler, but prosecutors felt there was insufficient evidence to prove that charge...
While Odom had a lengthy record of drug and theft crimes, he did not have a violent prior on his record, and this will be his first &#8220;strike,&#8221; Ta said.

http://www.hometownstation.com/sant...an-gets-5-years-for-newhall-kidnapping-149675

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k
Back