MISTRIAL Vanderbilt Rape Trial - Brandon Vandenburg and Cory Batey

clearskies1

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find a thread on this trial (which just started). It looks like at least one of the defendants is trying to use alcohol intoxication as a defense to the aggravated rape charge. Doesn't seem like a valid defense....

I didn't see a thread either so thanks for starting one, clearskies.

Looks like the jury has been selected and opening arguments have been made in the trial against two of the alleged rapists, Vandenburg and Batey...

Alcohol, too, is expected to play a role in the defense, in terms of how much the alleged victim had the night of the incident, where she got it from and how it would have affected the suspects' judgment.

Thurman said trial evidence would show Brandon Vandenburg, 21, and Cory Batey, 20, are guilty of five counts of aggravated rape and two counts of aggravated sexual battery, the charges against them. Vandenburg also is charged with tampering with evidence and unlawful photography.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2015/01/13/jury-selected-vandy-rape-case/21694159/

ETA: A link with a detailed video re-cap of the first day of the trial...

http://www.wsmv.com/story/27837017/jury-selected-in-trial-of-ex-vanderbilt-football-players

Thank you for the links! The trial is being live streamed on wsvm.com. Will try to watch tomorrow.

I came here yesterday looking to see if there was a thread. Thanks for posting.

Watching cross-exam of Vanderbilt security officer -- I don't understand relevance of purported freewheeling lifestyle (alcohol, sex) on campus. I believe the victim was totally passed out. Obviously, regardless of Vanderbilt lifestyle, Tennessee sexual assault laws apply. Just don't see the relevance.

Interesting development: The defense attorneys have filed a motion to dismiss the top charges -- aggravated rape -- arguing that the indictment is too vague. A legal analyst quoted by WSMV states that if the judge grants the motion, the defendants cannot later be re-indicted on the rape charges. Re-indictment could not happen because the jury has already been sworn in and so "jeopardy has attached." So if the motion is granted, that would leave only misdemeanor assault charges pending against the defendants. http://www.wsmv.com/story/27852398/...se-against-former-vanderbilt-football-players

Rape kit wasn't done until 80 to 90 hours after attack, because victim had no memory of attack.

livestream
http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/watch-live/plus
victim is in courtroom
she is expected to testify after LE, maybe Monday
most likely victim won't be on camera, just audio

I just watched this afternoon's testimony surrounding the retrieved video's and picture from accused iPhone's..not to mention google searches on IF LE could retrieve and how to clear such by at least one of them....Anyway.. Violations of this young women was a "Group effort" given evidence of pictures and video's....then of course lack of DNA found could very well be because "Objects" were used on this unconscious girl...and evidence has shown this sickening violations of unconscious girl took place in the residence of the accused...However..there was others pictured and ID'd by video surveillance footage thru attire/jewelry/and physical identifications.....Defence sure has a long road to hoe to somehow discredit such evidence....

Just thought I report on WHAT I heard today..Jury is left with these visuals :gasp: to ponder this weekend....I' not sure if you are aware..Court is due back in session Monday 19th (MLK Day) after jury voted to come in on stat holiday :loveyou:

Rape kit wasn't done until 80 to 90 hours after attack, because victim had no memory of attack.

I'm guessing delayed Rape Kit was due to her not recalling...BUT given Prosecution has video/pictorial happenings of event..It really doesn't matter...These guys violated this unconscious girl..alcohol induced unconsciousness doesn't matter really...Gone are those days when consuming alcohol excuses abuses by another....Anyway...for all we know a drug was introduced (see below link) into her drinks..But regardless..there is NO excuse to do what these guys did to her...Deprave is only a nice word I could use after what I heard what they did to her :silenced: :furious:

I did read that one of the defence is that Perp was too drunk....LOL okay...but not so drunk he could perform, record his evil goings..operate his iPhone/Smartphone/take pictures etc...meanwhile the one being abused was UNCONSCIOUS...Sure she was consequential :scared: ..Young people like these young men have no concept of right from wrong nor seem to give a care :facepalm:
http://www.medicaldaily.com/5-commo...-memory-loss-examples-and-alternatives-251443

The detective's description of the photos that were intoduced today was unbelievable. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the jury to see the photos. Apparently, there are no photos/video of Vandenberg (victim's date that night) touching her inappropriately. It will be interesting to see if the 2 others charged but not currently on trial will give testimony against Vandenberg.

I have been following this case and heard about a racial comment made by one of the defendant's, Batey?, about the alleged victim. Anybody know what was said? I would think that would go to why he did what he did to the woman.

Also about the racial comment. I understand that the jury heard what the defendant said but the judge ruled against allowing it into the court??? How do you unring the bell?

Wonder what the delay is??? Yikes..This Judge is usually quite prompt :thinking: Juror's must be scratching their collective heads!!

These guys are depraved individuals and have no respect for women!! What's with society having the need to broadcast to their buddies such deviant activities..whether it's sexting or chatting, giggling and laughing during assaults, or whatever else they deem impressive to others. It's almost like they are trying to outdo each other in depravity :gaah:

Chris Conte is in Court today and tweets regarding video being shown.

Det. Gish describing video: "victim is on the floor, appears to be an object inserted inside of her, she’s motionless" @NC5 ‪#‎vandytrial‬

"As graphic video of alleged rape is shown, one juror shakes her head and another puts both hands to her mouth @NC5 ‪#‎Vandytrial

https://www.facebook.com/NC5ChrisConte?fref=nf"

With all of the evidence, I can't believe these guys did not try to make a plea deal.

So much for defence's argument about not having DNA (semen) found from these sicko's :facepalm:
These guys knew exactly what they were doing..and it was to assault and degrade this poor women...certainly wasn't just based on getting their (how to say this delecately) gratifications sexually..Is that okay to say??:blushing:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime
Back