1169 users online (239 members and 930 guests)  

Websleuths News

TN - Ali Ali, 24, Chattanooga, 5 January 2015 - UTC Student

Just posted today on Chattanooga Times Free Press - an engineering Masters Degree student from Africa who has been missing for a week, since the first day of classes on Monday January 5.

This hits close to home for me because my son lives in the dorm at UTC right now. I'm wondering about campus surveillance cameras, and supposedly police are watching the dorms where his phone last pinged.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...tudent/282605/

More than a week after he disappeared, there still is no sign of missing UTC student Ali Ali.

The 24-year-old engineering master's student was last seen on UTC's campus Jan. 5, when he spent the morning applying for an assistantship. He last spoke to his brother, Hassan Elnour, the previous night about paying his rent. The rent payment remains the last activity in Ali's bank account.

Elnour arrived in Chattanooga the night of Jan. 6, and since then he and Ali's roommates have been searching tirelessly for him, checking hospitals and putting up posters with the help of local churches. Despite their efforts, their search has yielded frustratingly little information.

"Nothing," Elnour said. "No one has seen him."

Elnour has also met with Chattanooga Police Department investigators, who he says have been surveilling Stacy Town Center, the area of UTC's campus indicated by the last GPS signal from Ali's phone. Elnour said the police are also working to obtain Ali's phone records, as well as trying to determine whether Ali boarded a bus in that area. Still, Elnour said, the investigation so far hasn't yielded much.

"They don't know where he is," Elnour said. "They have no leads at all, which doesn't make any sense."

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
    It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

Ali was last seen January 5, 2015 wearing a blue jacket, red Converse shoes and black eye glasses.

Ali is described as: Black male 24 years old 5'8 tall Weighing 150 pounds Chattanooga Police ask anyone with information regarding his whereabouts to call 423-698-2525.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/27793824...-missing-adult

Sad news.

Body found on Maclellan Island ID'd as missing UTC student Ali Ali
    January 18th, 2015
    http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...island/283328/
    The search for the 24-year-old UTC student who's been missing for nearly two weeks ended this evening.
    The body found early this morning on Maclellan Island has been confirmed as that of Ali Ali, according to Chattanooga Police.
    <snip>
    Police say there are no apparent signs of foul play. Ali's body was found at 2:27 a.m. on the shore of the small island that sits in the middle of the Tennessee River.
    RIP Ali.

I'll be interested to see if this is an accident or a suicide. How do they believe he got to the island? Who was out at 0230 that found him?
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...d-dead/283388/

On Jan. 7 -- two days after Ali's disappearance -- Elnour learned from an Apple employee that Ali's iPad had been located and that he was online at the moment. When Elnour tried to get the location, the employee wouldn't give it without an application filed with police.

After hours of haggling between the police and Apple that night, the application was denied.

I guess this is the island he was found on?

I wonder if he jumped from the bridge overhead.

Capturegfdgdg.PNG

ETA: From one of the links above:

Owned and managed by the Chattanooga Audubon Society as a wildlife sanctuary, the island is open to the public for a fee and features a system of hiking trails and a group campground. A power boat dock on the southwest side and a canoe and kayak launch on the northeast side provide connectivity to the 18.8-acre island.
    So it's also possible that he took the boat there.

The article linked in the OP says the last activity on his bank account was to pay his rent. Why would you go to the trouble of paying your rent if your plan was to commit suicide? Sounds strange to me so if there isn't foul play I think I would lean towards accident. But, JMO

I hope LE gets to the bottom of this.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetgrits View Post
    The article linked in the OP says the last activity on his bank account was to pay his rent. Why would you go to the trouble of paying your rent if your plan was to commit suicide? Sounds strange to me so if there isn't foul play I think I would lean towards accident. But, JMO
    The 24-year-old engineering master's student was last seen on UTC's campus Jan. 5, when he spent the morning applying for an assistantship. He last spoke to his brother, Hassan Elnour, the previous night about paying his rent. The rent payment remains the last activity in Ali's bank account.
    There's the exact quote. I was considering the suicide theory, as well, and wondered if I'm reading between the lines too much by suggesting Ali had to borrow money from his brother. Money to pay his rent sent to him by family members might also be described as the "rent payment." I'm reaching, yes, but why would rent even be discussed with others unless their assistance was needed, maybe.
    MOO.

In December a body was found floating in the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. As far as I know that body has not been identified. At least publicly, it hasn't. I'm not sure how far from Maclellan Island this body was found. Just adding this info since it was recent and similar in that one was in the river and one was on the bank of Maclellan Island which is in the same river. Can someone good at this sort of thing figure out the distance of these 2 bodies?

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/Body-...O8uGUAE3A.cspx
    Last edited by poppyfrock; 01-19-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetgrits View Post
    Some people just go about their everyday routine right up to the moment that they kill themselves...maybe because they don't want anything to appear out of the ordinary so as to avoid anyone trying to stop them from their plan. Or it could be a spur of the moment action.

That said, I haven't seen much in the articles yet that makes me lean one way or another on what happened. Could have been foul play or an accident like you mentioned.

What happened to Ali? This case is still nagging me.

Quote Originally Posted by poppyfrock View Post
    What happened to Ali? This case is still nagging me.
    Me too. Nothing after this article from January 20: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/l...e-next/283529/ which just makes me more angry to read about the apple information request being denied. No foul play they say. I hope someone stays on top of this so we can find out what happened to this promising young man. So sad...
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

Quote Originally Posted by poppyfrock View Post
    In December a body was found floating in the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. As far as I know that body has not been identified. At least publicly, it hasn't. I'm not sure how far from Maclellan Island this body was found. Just adding this info since it was recent and similar in that one was in the river and one was on the bank of Maclellan Island which is in the same river. Can someone good at this sort of thing figure out the distance of these 2 bodies?

http://www.wdef.com/news/story/Body-...O8uGUAE3A.cspx
    And we never heard another word about this body either!