1071 users online (238 members and 833 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

UK - Euan Coulthard, 19, Durham Uni Student, 14th Jan 2015

Euan Coulthard, a law student at St Mary's College, was last seen just after midnight on Wednesday leaving the Love Shack nightclub.
    He is described as 5ft 9ins tall, with light brown hair, and when last seen was wearing black skinny jeans, a denim jacket and a beige patterned shirt.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-30844840

This is the 3rd male missing in the last year in Durham. The river is beautiful but sadly it claimed the other two.

_80310639_euancoulthard.jpg
    Last edited by oushkaboo; 01-16-2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add photo

alreetlike is offline All human wisdom is summed up in these two words -- wait and hope
    Gaah, not again.

Here's the DM article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...night-out.html

Love Shack nightclub is right by the river

Good morning UK sleuths - anyone know if there are updates about this case?

There is a lot on info on this page http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...ppened-8458186

but nothing new since last night

Facebook page Help FIND EUAN Coulthard

https://www.facebook.com/findeuan?fref=ts
    Last edited by Ayrshirelass; 01-17-2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: double post - added FB page

From the FB page linked above:

Good to see so many people out looking for Euan.

Bad to read his phone apparently powered off after he was seen walking down steps to the river.

Oushkaboo (and anyone else local) - are we to assume Euan was walking home? I have looked at aerial pics and seen the steps he is said to have gone down - would that have been a short cut to somewhere? Do we know whereabouts he lived?

EDIT noticed there's a blue arrow sign at the top of the steps, can't make out the words though, any idea?!
    Last edited by CoverMeCagney; 01-18-2015 at 06:52 PM.

My spidey sense tingled as soon as I heard about this. Euan is the 3rd male student from Durham University to go missing after a night drinking in 12 months. Luke Pearce and American student Sope Peters went missing last year and were found weeks later in the River Wear. It may be that they have fallen in if they were drunk, but could it be possible that it's more sinister?
    The difference between a Stumbling Block and Stepping Stone is the Character of the individual walking the path.

All views are my own ~ and will probably change on a frequent basis

Quote Originally Posted by ajc748 View Post
    Oushkaboo (and anyone else local) - are we to assume Euan was walking home? I have looked at aerial pics and seen the steps he is said to have gone down - would that have been a short cut to somewhere? Do we know whereabouts he lived?

EDIT noticed there's a blue arrow sign at the top of the steps, can't make out the words though, any idea?!

It says "Riverside footpath" on the blue sign
    The difference between a Stumbling Block and Stepping Stone is the Character of the individual walking the path.

All views are my own ~ and will probably change on a frequent basis

Thank you.

I've looked and looked at why he might have gone down to the riverside path, it doesn't seem like it would be a short cut to anywhere (or at least, not one you'd choose to take on a cold dark night). I'd be really interested to know where he lives, see if it makes more sense.

His phone apparently powered off 8 mins after walking down those steps which would suggest - if he fell in the river - that he was walking along it for some time. There doesn't seem to much south of the bridge, but in the north direction there is another bridge which would have been nearer for him to cross.

Will try and put map image up...

Aerial map of area

https://goo.gl/maps/plr3o

The bridge he crossed is the lower one. The steps are on the west end of the bridge. CCTV still showed him right at the entrance to the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by ajc748 View Post

According to the reports Euan is studying at St Mary's college which is based to the south of the city. It is entirely concievable that he lives nearby (he is in his second year of study and possibly still living in halls) so would have walked along the riverpath at least as far as Prebends Bridge then up onto Quarryheads Lane to home.

The riverpath is a well used path and a very enjoyable walk. Neither side of the river has barriers at this point but its not a sheer drop into the water, its quite a wide path with decent verges. You pass a couple of boathouses along the way (Durham is big on rowing) and landside is banked quite steeply up to the road (South Street) but easily climbed if need be.

I find it very odd another man has gone missing in this manner. Durham is not the only university town/city with a river and lots of bridges. Yes, blefuscu my spidey senses have tingled also.

If this link works this is route he may have intended to take/taken.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54...!2d54.7665!3e2

He could have walked along the riverpath further, past Prebends Bridge and into St Marys from the otherside.

All Moo etc

Thanks for this, Oushkaboo. Definitely makes more sense IF he lived down that way.

But, from where he was out that night, would a preferable route be to walk down the east side of the castle/cathedral and then cross at Prebends bridge? I'm not even sure it's walkable, I am just thinking about which routes common sense would dictate you avoid ie dark/rivers/no lighting - most people would be worried about getting mugged/assaulted. I live in a city with a river, lovely by day but a definite no-no by night!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast