TX - Chief accuses AISD of impeding school sex probe involving 4 employees

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Trouble a-brewin' down Abilene way. (Hope this isn't already a thread; tried to check but search "feature" isn't working again.)

San Antonio Express-News:

Four Texas teachers under investigation for alleged sexual relations with students

The chief of the Abilene Police Department has accused the superintendent of Abilene Independent School District of impeding an investigation into four employees who allegedly had sexual relations with students.

Abilene Police Chief Stan Standridge said the district has "absolutely not" been cooperative with the investigations while under the leadership of Superintendent Heath Burns, alleging Burns tried to handle the accusations against teachers internally,
---
much more, with pictures, at SAEN link above

KTXS, 12.18: Abilene police execute search warrants in school administrator sex case

KTXS, 12.22: New details result from search warrant in Abilene school sex case

KTXS, 01.12: Abilene chief: AISD superintendent has impeded school sex probes

(much more about case in other KTXS articles online)

Oh, also, my thread title is incorrect -- instead of teachers it should read "district
employees." Right now it's one teacher, one administrator, and two "other officials."

^^ okay, fixed that little faux pas

I was wondering when someone would post about this situation. Thanks Wfgodot.

The school board has refused to let the chief address them in relation to the superintendents yearly review, which was last week. Public opinion is running highly in favor of the police and against the school board and AISD administration. Check out the comments on the various articles. It seems that the superintendent and his buds think that they should do the (cough cough)" investigations" then kick it to the police if they see fit. Texas law says different. Teachers are mandatory reporters, they don't get to decide not to go to police. Lots of butt covering going on. MOO

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/s...ive-school-board/85936/v5OSCqpClU-d1nsfJdEevw

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/s...ess-aisd-employe/16267/Icju5huuC0uscCgV7KwlcQ

Apparently, AISD superintendent Heath Burns was aware of allegations against teacher Nicole Brown and met with her regarding her activities with a student on December 31. He did not inform police of the alleged sexual assaults, he did not put the teacher on leave until things could be properly addressed by authorities. The boy's parents reported that the teacher again had sex with the boy after the teachers meeting with Burns. What an idiot. He was already in trouble for tampering with evidence and obstructing the investigation of Michael Trook, who was arrested in December, yet he has no problem letting the next teacher slide, all without reporting to the police.

My personal opinion is that there is no way Burns is doing this just to cover for those teachers. He has more at stake than that, I just hope the school board doesn't get away with ignoring the corruption. MOO

Administrators -- perhaps I'm being unfair here -- seem primarily concerned with sports; sports, and covering their own, erm, interests in the event of trouble. (Stop me before I pontificate further, lol. Also, I've known some damn fine administrators.)

I think that some are honest and contentious, some are self centered and dishonest and some are downright arrogant manipulators with no concience. It's the same with any profession.

I feel sorry for the families in this case. If a teacher or any other adult dared to do this to my kid I would be livid! High school kids are easily flattered when a grownup comes on to them. It's pretty easy for an adult authority figure to manipulate a teen in to acting as the romantic/sexual aggressor. Flatter them, lead them on then tell the teen that they are the one to blame when things escalate. It messes with a kids mind, they think that they are in love or worse, they blame themselves, not realizing that the responsibility is always on the adult to maintain a proper distance. I hope no one is pregnant.

I think that some are honest and contentious, some are self centered and dishonest and some are downright arrogant manipulators with no concience. It's the same with any profession.

I meant "contentious", as in always mindful of doing the right thing, doing their best. I think that my spellcheck changed it to " contentious" , which is not at all what I meant. Sorry!

Trouble a-brewin' down Abilene way. (Hope this isn't already a thread; tried to check but search "feature" isn't working again.)

San Antonio Express-News:

Four Texas teachers under investigation for alleged sexual relations with students

much more, with pictures, at SAEN link above

Never trust a school administrator who thinks he/she can also investigate crimes. They are terrible at it and equate curriculum with crime and think both are equally non-important.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/exabilene-isd-leader-cleans-out-office-receives-407500-payment/31132168

Ex-Abilene ISD Superintendent Heath Burns, who suddenly resigned this week, has received payment of the $407,500 in his resignation agreement and has cleaned out his office.

The settlement between the AISD board and Burns comes as the school district is mired in two high-profile cases of educators accused of having sexual relationships with students. The Abilene Police Department has not commented on two additional cases they say they are investigating.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back