6 Year Old Kills Herself by Hanging

Lulu14

Reaction score
Not sure that this is the right area, but here it goes:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Police in Minnesota have closed their investigation of a 6-year-old girl's hanging death by ruling out foul play, and said the evidence points to an accident or suicide.

Kendrea Johnson was found unconscious in a bedroom of her foster home in Brooklyn Park with a jump rope around her neck Dec. 27. There were no witnesses in the room.

"All of the evidence leads back to either suicide or accidental," Deputy Chief Mark Bruley said. "The reality is she was in the room by herself and we'll probably never know the answer to that."

Bruley said Kendrea had been getting treatment for emotional problems including suicidal thoughts. Child protection workers put the girl in foster care in December 2013 after her mother allegedly abused drugs. She had been at that particular home since March.

Citing police investigative records, the Star Tribune reported Thursday that investigators found a note written in purple marker in a child's handwriting reading: "I'm sorry." A second note said: "I'm sad for what I do."

Kendrea's foster mother said the girl had said she wanted to jump out a window and kill herself because "Nobody likes me," the newspaper reported. She drew pictures at school of a child hanging from a rope, and police found healed ligature marks on both sides of her neck, the newspaper said.

Suicides among young children are rare. There were 33 suicides among children ages 5-9 in the U.S. between 1999 and 2006, according to statistics from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Kendrea's biological mother and grandmother have said they believe somebody else killed her. Bruley said it was hard for him and his investigators to accept that a 6-year-old could have deliberately taken her own life.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...ging-death-was-suicide-or-accident?src=usn_fb

Children are watching too much cable TV. I was a reasonably precocious, yet often unhappy child and I doubt the idea of hanging myself would have ever occurred to me at the age of 6!

(Yes, I realize that this case may have been an accident. Children has always had an unfortunate tendency to wrap things around their necks without realizing the potential consequences.)

I considered suicide several times when I was 6, but the thought of hanging never entered my mind.

Children are watching too much cable TV. I was a reasonably precocious, yet often unhappy child and I doubt the idea of hanging myself would have ever occurred to me at the age of 6!

(Yes, I realize that this case may have been an accident. Children has always had an unfortunate tendency to wrap things around their necks without realizing the potential consequences.)

I agree Nova.
Kids are not born knowing how to kill themselves or that that is even an option. If this was a suicide, she had to be exposed to something showing a hanging to even know that would in fact kill her.

So sad either way. But the thought of a 6 year old taking their own life if beyond tragic.

I agree Nova.
Kids are not born knowing how to kill themselves or that that is even an option. If this was a suicide, she had to be exposed to something showing a hanging to even know that would in fact kill her.

So sad either way. But the thought of a 6 year old taking their own life if beyond tragic.

Yes, so so sad :( We will never understand what is in some childrens' minds or what they have to through.

I agree Nova.

But the stats say about 35 children in this young age range committing suicide every year. It is exceedingly rare, but it does happen.

But the stats say about 35 children in this young age range committing suicide every year. It is exceedingly rare, but it does happen.

In the opening article, I read 33 between 1999-2006. Not about 35 every year.

I know it happens. But those who are doing it have to 1) know its possible 2) know a way to do it.

So my point stays the same.
These kids had to be exposed to the information. And, it's beyond tragic.

JMO

This is local. Other news stories have indicated the poor child had a horrid home life with her mom and was exposed to things well beyond her age.

I suffered from depression at an early age. At around five I used to sit on my front porch and pray that God would take me to live with him. I never thought about killing myself. It just never entered my mind. Kids today are exposed to so much more than we were in the 60's, 70's. This little girl was reaching out for help and it sounds like she was getting it. She may have written the note and wrapped the jump rope around her neck not really believing that she would actually die but that someone would understand the depths of the pain she was feeling emotionally. So, so sad.

Possibly off topic, but are children this young prescribed antidepressants?

lizzybeth said:

This girl was in foster care. Here is a blog post about medicating kids in foster care.

Another one.

That blog is written by a man who has (or was) a guardian ad litem in hennepin county, Minnesota (same county this girl lived/died in) since the mid 90s. If you read down a bit in the first link he tells about the 4 year old girl he met for the first time on a suicide ward.

This girl is one of (the many) kids who fell thru the canyon wide 'cracks' in Minnesota's child protection system.

Here is a new article detailing how she was in a very unsafe foster home.

Before she was found Dec. 27 hanging from a jump rope tied to her bunk bed, Kendrea was reportedly sexually endangered, threatened with beatings, locked in her room and may have been exposed to *advertiser censored* — all the while becoming extremely angry that she could not be returned to her family, records show.

I will say that one of the newspapers said she couldn't be with her grandmother because 'her house was too small' however that is not true. I checked public records and her grandmothers husband is ... not a very nice guy.

d focused on whether she committed suicide. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner cautioned that the decision to carry out such an act is “outside what a normal 6-year-old could think about.”

Except that Kendrea’s short 6 years of life were far from normal.

This case breaks my heart. I work with kids in the foster care system as a counselor. Sometimes it's no better than where they were.

This is the saddest thing I have ever read.
At 6...oh my gosh.

I've read several Star Tribune newspaper articles regarding this girl's death. I have difficulty believing 6 year old could tied such a sophisticated, strong, noose-like-knot with a jump rope to hang herself. This is such a sad, situation.

Pardon the multiquote but I did so as I read and caught up with this thread and as thoughts were coming to me. I quoted posts that caused me to consider and think along the way.

While I do not disagree, yours caused me to react with the thought: Yes, kids have way more access to info good, bad and confusing or influential, than in previous years. But, what did this child live prior to arriving where she was? Could that also have been a contributing factor. We read each day here about cases that are literally soul ripping and mind numbing in their horrific trauma, physical or psychological. How much id whatever took this child into foster care play a role?

I considered suicide several times when I was 6, but the thought of hanging never entered my mind.

Thought of suicide possible at that age. but did TV and web contribute to ideation of HOW? Possibly, but yours indicates the thoughts can be there if not the specifics of hanging. But you are you. She was she. Did exposure to adult content play a role? Who knows.

This is local. Other news stories have indicated the poor child had a horrid home life with her mom and was exposed to things well beyond her age.

Takes me back to - What has this girl experienced in her six years that may have given her such a fatalistic, end it all outlook?

I suffered from depression at an early age. At around five I used to sit on my front porch and pray that God would take me to live with him. I never thought about killing myself. It just never entered my mind. Kids today are exposed to so much more than we were in the 60's, 70's. This little girl was reaching out for help and it sounds like she was getting it. She may have written the note and wrapped the jump rope around her neck not really believing that she would actually die but that someone would understand the depths of the pain she was feeling emotionally. So, so sad.

Thank you for sharing that. I agree that this child may have simply been crying out desperately for more help.

This girl was in foster care. Here is a blog post about medicating kids in foster care.

Another one.

That blog is written by a man who has (or was) a guardian ad litem in hennepin county, Minnesota (same county this girl lived/died in) since the mid 90s. If you read down a bit in the first link he tells about the 4 year old girl he met for the first time on a suicide ward.

This girl is one of (the many) kids who fell thru the canyon wide 'cracks' in Minnesota's child protection system.

Here is a new article detailing how she was in a very unsafe foster home.

I will say that one of the newspapers said she couldn't be with her grandmother because 'her house was too small' however that is not true. I checked public records and her grandmothers husband is ... not a very nice guy.

Except that Kendrea’s short 6 years of life were far from normal.

Chilling and heart breaking - thanks for seeking out links to illustrate.

ETA BTW, I will be watching for updates on this one. I am not sold on her committing suicide, but I am not dismissing it by any means. I feel it is possible this poor baby was so devastated. Well I am :fence: and watching as the case evolves. But first instinct. She sought a respite in death :(

My daughter n law works with children in the system and my niece is a house mother of girls. ( Not DCS ) but still involved much in the court system.
Recently a 7 year old girl was brought into the youth home where my niece works and she brought her girls ( as she calls them ) to one of our Christmas family functions. I was so surprised to see such a young one there among the older girls. I never ask either of my family members any questions concerning their jobs.
As for my daughternlaw, every once in a while she will say it's been a tough day.
I just can't imagine what this child must have been going through on the inside. I can vaguely remember feeling like I was really different, especially after I broke my leg when I was 5 and where we lived, my parents had to take a plane to come see me, as I was in traction and had to stay in the hospital for a month. I can always remember feeling so lonely.
But to read this child left a note saying I am sorry? Oh my goodness. I just can't imagine. I wonder if she had any contact with family after being placed in foster care, with visits?

Then to read that this child was in horrible surroundings and no one!!! No one!!!! Checked on her, after many reports. All she wanted to do was go home.

My heart is breaking! Something is so terribly wrong. Tooo many questions have not be answered.

I hear you lyric :( Multidimensional and layered the trauma and heartbreak in this case.

I've read several Star Tribune newspaper articles regarding this girl's death. I have difficulty believing 6 year old could tied such a sophisticated, strong, noose-like-knot with a jump rope to hang herself. This is such a sad, situation.

Do the articles say the girl fashioned a hangman's noose? Even a simple square knot would do.

Even at 6 most of us had seen old westerns that had hangings, but we still wouldn't have thought of it as a suicide option or even realized we could commit suicide. It is also possible the girl heard adults talk about suicide/hanging, if she was around very dysfunctional individuals maybe someone even suggested it to her. The articles say she had healed ligature marks so she had tried before.

When the Saddam Hussein hanging video went viral on the Internet at least a half dozen kids in the Middle East/India hung themselves shortly afterwards.

This breaks my heart. RIP little Kendrea.
The seven year old boy I babysit attempted suicide recently due to bullying at school (a religiously affiliated private school, so yes, it can happen anywhere).
I pray daily for any child who has to feel this way at such a young age.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back