754 users online (113 members and 641 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NY - Mitchel Fred Weiser, 16, & Bonita Mara Bickwit, 15, Narrowsburg, 27 July 1973

Mitchel Fred Weiser and Bonita Mara Bickwit: Missing since 27 July 1973 NY

Mitchel Fred Weiser
    Missing since July 27, 1973 from Narrowsburg, Sullivan County, New York.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: November 23, 1956
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7" (170 cm); 140 lbs (64 kg)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
    Marks, Scars: He has a scar on his lower lip. He wears eyeglasses.
    Dentals: His front teeth were discolored at the time of his disappearance.
    AKA: Mitch

Bonita Mara Bickwit

Missing since July 27, 1973 from Narrowsburg, Sullivan County, New York.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: January 28, 1958
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11" (150 cm); 95 lbs (43 kg)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    Dentals: Not available.
    AKA: Bonnie.

Circumstances of Disappearance

On July 27, 1973 Mitchel Fred Weiser, and his girlfriend, Bonita Bickwit planned to hitchhik to Watkins Glen, NY for an Allman Brothers-Grateful Dead concert.
    Weiser met Bickwit at Camp Wel-Met in upstate Narrowsburg, where she worked as a mother's helper. They set off for the concert, which was 75 miles from their location; neither has been seen since.
    It's believed that Weiser and Bickwit had approximately $25.00 between them.
    They carried backpacks and sleeping bags. Authorities initially believed that the couple simply ran off together. Bickwit and Weiser had secretly exchanged wedding rings earlier in the summer of 1973.
    Both attended John Dewey High School in Brooklyn. Bickwit lived in Borough Park with her family, Weiser lived in Midwood.

In 2000 a witness claimed that he watched Bonnie and Mitchel both drown on their way back from Watkins Glen. The witness was on his way home from the festival and hitched a ride in a volkswagen bus. There was a young couple in the back of the bus who he claims were Bonnie and Mitchel. It was a hot day and there was a river nearby. They stopped, to cool off in the water. As the witness was taking off his shoes, he heard a shout. He turned to see that the girl was in the river. The boy, her companion, leaped in to save her. They both were swept away, down the rapids, still alive.

After the incident the witness and the driver drove away from the scene. The driver said he would make an anonymous call to the police from a gas station. Police have no record that a call was made.
    The witness account has yet to be verified.

Anyone with information on this case should contact:
    Sullivan County Sheriff's Department 845-794-7100

NCIC Number: M-761802363

Source Information:
    The Doe Network: Case File 2DMNY
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    The New York Post
    The New York Daily News
    Discover Magazine
    The Jewish Week
    The Times Herald-Record

Links:
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2dmny.html
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3dfny.html
    Last edited by SheWhoMustNotBeNamed; 05-02-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: updated doe network links

Grateful Dead connection...

There were no replies to this post, but recent interest in another case mentioned Fred and Bonita.

Makes you wonder why the driver wasn't a witness too? And why the driver wanted to remain anonymous when reporting the incident...

Also, what river was it and had it recently rained? What rapids were near and what was the water level of the river? (Most rivers run low at that time of summer)....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    There were no replies to this post, but recent interest in another case mentioned Fred and Bonita.

There is the possibility of some truth to the witness's claim, if the couple were returning to Narrowsburg from Watkins Glen. The most likely route to travel would be Route 97, a very scenic road which parallels the Delaware River. The area is extremely popular for rafting and canoeing. The Upper Delaware has class 2, 3 and occasionally 4 rapids. However, in July, the water level would be down somewhat...And its difficult to believe that neither of the bodies would be recovered since the area has been so popular for many, many years. Dozens of rafts filled with people are a common site during the summer.

I have a friend who swears she saw Bonnie just a few years ago, at a bookstore. She reported it to the NCMEC but nothing came of it -- which is unsurprising, since my friend had no other information other than that she saw her.

I think there's a good possibility the two of them ran away. But why they would stay away this long is beyond me. Maybe they got into trouble afterwards, maybe they split up or something.

Did she know Bonnie, or was she going on the picture?

Running away I could see too, but staying away is not likely unless both were having really bad family relations. I wonder if either had ever been fingerprinted before, or if any of their fingerprints were recorded on objects from their homes?

Wonder what their families were like and if their families are actively searching for them still?

Seems sad, they were so young.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
    I have a friend who swears she saw Bonnie just a few years ago, at a bookstore. She reported it to the NCMEC but nothing came of it -- which is unsurprising, since my friend had no other information other than that she saw her.

I think there's a good possibility the two of them ran away. But why they would stay away this long is beyond me. Maybe they got into trouble afterwards, maybe they split up or something.

My friend was just going by the AP and the fact that the woman she saw was also called Bonnie.
    The original Bickwit/Weiser casefiles were lost, meaning that if any fingerprints were taken, chances are those were lost as well. Sigh.

Reading this case I felt that they ran away together. They struck me as 2 teen lovers who felt that nobody understood them or appreciated their love for each other. Maybe their parents thought the relationship was too serious considering their age, maybe the parents wanted them to spend more time apart. I think that would be any parents reaction if they found out their teen children had a secret wedding ceremony together.

Bumping for Bonita. Tomorrow would be her 48th birthday. She and Mitchel have been missing for almost 33 years.

Grateful Dead Concert...

This case was recently mentioned in another thread about a Grateful Dead Fan who is unidentified. Just bumping this up, so that it can be more easily found.

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily
    The original Bickwit/Weiser casefiles were lost, meaning that if any fingerprints were taken, chances are those were lost as well. Sigh.
    Goodness!

LOST?

How could that happen? Isn't that rather suspicious?

'WHO' might have wanted the records to disappear?

I don't like the sound of that one bit.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering22
    Goodness!

LOST?

How could that happen? Isn't that rather suspicious?

'WHO' might have wanted the records to disappear?

I don't like the sound of that one bit.
    "Lost" doesn't always mean destroyed or misplaced. In this day and age a "lost" file is quite often a file whose records have been neither digitalized nor indexed in a central database. In such cases paper files could probably be found in some obscure repository where fetching them is comparatively time consuming therefore costly and that wouldn't be done unless very compelling evidence surfaces. In many institutions (including LE agencies) files that aren't readily available through the regular channels are often considered "lost" even though they exist in archives. A private investigator would probably be able to locate the missing files if someone is willing to pay for it.

A lot of files really do get lost, especially in old cases. I have one case where a girl disappeared and her file was lost; it included her dental records and family contact info, so not only can they not identify any bodies as her, but if she shows up alive they won't be able to get in touch with her family, if she has any left.

Bumping this very convoluted case.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast