1093 users online (213 members and 880 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    600

    Mother invoices boys parents for party no show

    Last edited by Harmony2; 01-19-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: changed title

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    600
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-30876360

    Analysis: Clive Coleman, BBC legal correspondent
    It is all but impossible that Ms Lawrence will be able to recover the £15.95 party "no show fee".

    Any claim would be on the basis that a contract had been created, which included a term that a "no show" fee would be charged.

    However, for there to be a contract, there needs to be an intention to create legal relations. A child's party invitation would not create legal relations with either the child "guest" or its parents.

    If it is being argued that the contract is with the child, it is inconceivable that a five-year-old would be seen by a court as capable of creating legal relations and entering into a contract with a "no show" charge.

    It's amusing to imagine what a children's party invitation seeking to create a contract might say: "I, the 'first party', hereinafter referred to as the 'birthday boy', cordially invite you the 'second party', hereinafter referred to as 'my best friend', to the party of 'the first party'.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,616
    what a sad story:

    1. Dad should have apologized ..... he double booked his kid.

    2. Sending someone a bill is tacky.....just delete that family from future invites.

    3. Double tacky -- that this ends up being an item at all.

    all MOO
    Just My Opinion

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    13,568
    He RSVP'd then didn't go and didn't bother calling? Pay the money, god it's not like they asked a fortune right? Can't work out why this got this far.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    He RSVP'd then didn't go and didn't bother calling? Pay the money, god it's not like they asked a fortune right? Can't work out why this got this far.

    bbm: yep......he confronted the woman when he was angry instead of manning up and admitting he messed up MOO
    Just My Opinion

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    23,942
    Even if they did no show, the mother of the birthday kid was tackier by sending a bill. Suck it up and put up the expense! Maybe the attendees really couldn't afford it. Nobody asked her to throw the kid an expensive party!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

    Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

    Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

    I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,616
    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Even if they did no show, the mother of the birthday kid was tackier by sending a bill. Suck it up and put up the expense! Maybe the attendees really couldn't afford it. Nobody asked her to throw the kid an expensive party!
    yep....and we forget that there are two little kids with hurt feelings and a whole mess of embarrassment over this fracus....poor kids....
    Just My Opinion

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    13,568
    I think both sides have showed bad form, all of this should have been worked out over the phone, the father should have called to apologise when he realised his son couldn't make it, and the payment issue would have likely been dealt with then too, god I'd probably just say not to worry about it myself, but if the mother was that upset I'm sure the dad could have swung her the money to keep the peace. If the father had called another child could have been invited last minute to take his sons spot and they'd have been no hard feelings.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41,332
    It is TACKY to expect the guests to pay. When I took kids to see a Disney movie when my kid was turning 6, WE PAID for the tickets and a popcorn. I didnt expect them to pay. When we took them to BuildABear, we paid for a basic bear. If they wanted more then 2 extras, it was on them.

    But you don't throw a kids Bday party and expect the guests to pay.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    13,568
    I thought the invited boy's family was only paying because they didn't show up, is that right, or were all guests supposed to pay?? Yep, that is tacky, that's like being asked to pay when you RSVP for a wedding or similar. Or worse, when you arrive at the reception
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    land of most amazing sunsets
    Posts
    12,616
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It is TACKY to expect the guests to pay. When I took kids to see a Disney movie when my kid was turning 6, WE PAID for the tickets and a popcorn. I didnt expect them to pay. When we took them to BuildABear, we paid for a basic bear. If they wanted more then 2 extras, it was on them.

    But you don't throw a kids Bday party and expect the guests to pay.
    Am just '''guessing here''' that mom wouldn't have reserved a spot IF she knew invitee couldn't attend.

    If her budget was that ''tight'' - maybe she was miffed. (like others here perhaps something lower key and down to earth may have been better choice - kids are only 5 yrs old LOL) No guests of ours ever paid!

    Kids being kids, would she have been outraged if invitee could not attend due something like let's say measles or chicken pox MOO.

    Am sad to see, that folks can't pick up the phone and say '' can't make it at last minute'' ((birthday boy was probably wondering what happened to buddy)).

    Am further sad to see that grownups cannot diplomatically pick up the phone to resolve issues without losing tempers.

    All MOO
    Just My Opinion

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    I thought the invited boy's family was only paying because they didn't show up, is that right, or were all guests supposed to pay?? Yep, that is tacky, that's like being asked to pay when you RSVP for a wedding or similar. Or worse, when you arrive at the reception
    Quote Originally Posted by newone View Post
    Am just '''guessing here''' that mom wouldn't have reserved a spot IF she knew invitee couldn't attend.

    If her budget was that ''tight'' - maybe she was miffed. (like others here perhaps something lower key and down to earth may have been better choice - kids are only 5 yrs old LOL) No guests of ours ever paid!

    Kids being kids, would she have been outraged if invitee could not attend due something like let's say measles or chicken pox MOO.

    Am sad to see, that folks can't pick up the phone and say '' can't make it at last minute'' ((birthday boy was probably wondering what happened to buddy)).

    Am further sad to see that grownups cannot diplomatically pick up the phone to resolve issues without losing tempers.

    All MOO
    All true, but either way, it's tacky to send an invoice. Imo, when you throw an event you have to include a few 'mistakes' into the budget. you are always going to have a couple of extra gift bags, just in case. There are always going to be last minute no shows and last minute extra guests tagging along. That should be included in the cost of throwing a party. Sending an invoice was ridiculous.

    It would have made more sense, if she was miffed and wanted to vent, to call them or pull them aside after school, and complain that they didn't call,and it cost her a few bucks. Fine. But an itemized bill was just petty and over the top.

    Plus the hostess should have had some kind of flexible agreement with the party venue about what to do if there are a couple less guests. If that kid did not attend, why was he even charged? It is not like it was a sit down formal wedding dinner.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    686
    So, the letter was found in son's bookbag and sent by the party host...wth..
    Since when is a kid's bookbag an official mail receptacle! Geeeesh. Party host Mom is nuts and cheap IMO.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Avalon
    Posts
    13,568
    Also she is a coward, she got her child (or maybe the teacher) to give the other child an invoice, she should do her own dirty work and she should have handed it to the father herself. Having the invoice slid into the boys backpack without explanation was just piling bad manners on top of more bad manners.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41,332
    Plus, the party mom is arguing with the wrong people. Why did the party venue charge her 15 pounds for a sack lunch? I cannot see what other costs they were out by the kid not showing up. They were ripping off party mom and she is taking it out on the other family. lol
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY NY - Doctor gets 48 years for abusing boys while parents waited outside
    By Casshew in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-26-2015, 05:25 AM
  2. Mother Helps RSO Son Meet Underage Boys
    By Filly in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 12:03 AM
  3. 3-year-old left behind after his own birthday party; parents realize days later
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 06:16 PM
  4. TX - Mother Arrested After stabbing 10 & 12 year old boys
    By barb0301 in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 06:45 AM