1079 users online (233 members and 846 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MO - Corbin Wiederholt, 9 mos, fatally shot by 5yo brother, Elmo, 19 Jan 2015

5-Year-Old Boy Fatally Shoots 9-Month-Old Brother
    Posted: Mon 9:24 PM, Jan 19, 2015
    By: KCTV/Melissa Brunner

Authorities told CBS affiliate KCTV-5 that the infant was in a playpen when the older child found a loaded .22-caliber magnum revolver lying around a bed. Authorities say the weapon did not belong to the mother, but to another relative.

Not again. The right to bear arms does not give people the right to be completely irresponsible idiots, leaving loaded firearms in children's reach.

One child dead; his brother scarred for life.

edit: More info from Fox 4 Kansas City:

9-month-old dies after being shot in the head by 5-year-old brother in NW Mo.
    POSTED 4:25 PM, JANUARY 19, 2015, BY MOLLY BALKENBUSH, KASEY BABBITT AND SHANNON O'BRIEN, UPDATED AT 09:21PM, JANUARY 19, 2015

The prosecutor will assemble a child fatality review board, made up of law enforcement, children’s services and hospital personnel to help him determine of charges will be filed against the parents in this case.

The article above includes information on how the parents could have easily secured the gun, rather than leaving it at the head of their bed. Professional firearms consultant Don Pind explained: “But the parents need to keep them away from it; lock them up, whether it be in a gun sock… padlocks are available free from the police and sheriffs’ offices.”

Apparently the mother first told responders her child had been hit in the head with a paintball gun, rather than admitting it was a .22 caliber magnum revolver. The Fox4 article says nothing about the gun belonging to a relative. The mother was alone in the house with her four children, ages 9 mos. - 5 years, at the time of the shooting.

Yes, it's a horrible, horrible tragedy for the family, but if charges aren't filed against the parents, will people ever wake up and secure their guns responsibly around children?

eta: Apologies to Tricia and the mods, if this article is not appropriate after the recent discussion of the 2-year-old shooter in Idaho was closed. Please delete/close if necessary.
    Last edited by Concerned Mama; 01-20-2015 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added info & fixed broken link

OMG. Why are adults so irresponsible?

The mother actually lied to 911 over what had happened?? I have no words for this.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    #blacklivesmatter

Unreal.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

One thread closes, but unfortunately another one like it pops up. The burden of reading websleuths.

I messaged Tricia, so she may decide to close this thread. I hope not, since this is not the same situation, even though children are involved. I do want to know if charges will be filed against the parents for such negligence. The focus of this thread shouldn't be whether people should own guns or not, but whether these adults should be held legally responsible when their negligence resulted in death -- even if it was of their own child -- and suffering for all involved.

I cannot believe the mom LIED to dispatch about her child's injuries. UNREAL.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Aw. So, so sad. How that poor five year old must feel. And the poor baby.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Mama View Post
    I messaged Tricia, so she may decide to close this thread. I hope not, since this is not the same situation, even though children are involved. I do want to know if charges will be filed against the parents for such negligence. The focus of this thread shouldn't be whether people should own guns or not, but whether these adults should be held legally responsible when their negligence resulted in death -- even if it was of their own child -- and suffering for all involved.
    Maybe the other one closed in part because the story/case was over. I left it a long time ago because there was nothing left to talk about. Sadly, this is a new case. It's Missouri so I doubt there will be charges.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Agree, that case was finished and the arguments had become circular, I don't think WS is going to just stop talking about these kinds of tragedies. I'm shocked there will be no charges.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I cannot believe the mom LIED to dispatch about her child's injuries. UNREAL.
    I am guessing she lied because the firearm was not legally owned. It belonged to a relative? Where is the father? Was it his weapon? Is he a felon? Did she lie to protect him? Was it a stolen weapon?

I suspect there is more to this story.
    Last edited by Sonya610; 01-20-2015 at 07:03 AM.

Sad sad sad.......they should charge away...

My dad had guns in the house....I never knew....and dang, on those latch-key kid sick days I was a real nosy body.....looking for change (coinage)....and curiosity as well......never saw a gun, not once.
    ~ shine on you crAzy diamond ~ Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

I feel so bad for the 5 year old. He has to live with this for the rest of his life. It was not his fault at all; he is only 5. jmo
    Northern Colorado Shootings / Incidents Lists & Time Table / Detailed Spreadsheet by Forager:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ew?pli=1#gid=0

Northern Colorado Shootings Case Map:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...o.kzPJOvnNDQio

NoCo / Thread 1 / Possible Serial Shooter has Colorado Drivers on Edge / WHO KILLED JACOBY AND CONNOLE?

How could you even think about lying at a time like this. I'd have been so hysterical. Wonder if she talked to someone before calling 911.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    Maybe the other one closed in part because the story/case was over. I left it a long time ago because there was nothing left to talk about. Sadly, this is a new case. It's Missouri so I doubt there will be charges.
    It absolutely infuriates me how often cases like this happen and how few "responsible" adults are charged with any crime when a child (or adult) dies or is injured through their own negligence. Why are most cases like this classified as "accidents"? I prefer to call them preventable tragedies. Parents are charged when they don't put their child in a car seat, when their baby gets into a pool through negligence, when their pet python kills their baby, but are rarely charged when improperly storing a lethal weapon results in their child's death???!!!

Does this make sense to anyone??!!! Are these parents less negligent than any of the other parents?! "I didn't know my child would be able to reach and shoot the gun." GMAB!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast