GUILTY PA - Daniel, 6, & Luke Schlemmer, 3, drowned in bathtub, McCandless, 1 April 2014

Sigh Sister

Reaction score
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/mccandless-drowning/nfPw9/

Police said a mother confessed to drowning one of her children and trying to drown another in McCandless Township on Tuesday.

Laurel Michelle Schlemmer, 40, is facing homicide, attempted homicide, aggravated assault and other charges.

Paramedics were called to a home on Saratoga Drive around 9:40 a.m. for a drowning.

Police said two children, ages 3 and 6, were found unresponsive in a bathtub.

So tragic. News reports say she was hearing voices telling her to do it and that she felt she could be a better mother to her 10 year-old son if the other two weren't around.

Drown her too! Water Board her for a little while first.

oh no KDKA TV just announced the 6 year old son has died now.............R.I.P. little ones.

oh no KDKA TV just announced the 6 year old son has died now.............R.I.P. little ones.

My heart aches for the family. So tragic.

I'm interested in hearing the results of the psych evaluation that the mom had. The fact that she labeled the supposed voices as "crazy" makes think that she wasn't hearing voices at all. If she was able to identify them as "crazy", why did she do it??

A source told Pittsburgh's Action News 4 that Schlemmer was previously investigated by the Northern Regional Police Department for attempting to back over one of her children, but she was never charged.

In 2009, she was found guilty of leaving a child unattended in her vehicle.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/kids-found-unresponsive-in-mccandless/25265730#ixzz2xgnsJwNq

So am I to believe that her husband, or other family members had no idea that she was this disturbed?

That was a great article, gracielee. Thank you.

Such beautiful boys. I feel so sorry for the oldest. He will forever feel like this was somehow his fault because of her statement 'she could be a better mom to her older son if the other two weren't around'

That was a great article, gracielee. Thank you.

Such beautiful boys. I feel so sorry for the oldest. He will forever feel like this was somehow his fault because of her statement 'she could be a better mom to her older son if the other two weren't around'

I wish someone who actually knew this family would make a statement as to how they interacted as a *family*. Was it obvious the mother treated the boys differently? Did mom act crazy in other ways? Did mom act *different*? It was obvious to me, early on, Andrea Yates had huge problems. Her one friend especially said she had warned Randy Yates that Andrea needed to be in hospital. She'd had numerous in hospital stays in the past. This woman, it would appear, attempted to rid herself of these little boys twice in the past. Once leaving a toddler in a hot car, and the second time backing over both of them in her parents driveway.

Laurel Michelle Schlemmer - W/F/41 - Drowning of Daniel, 6, & Luke, 3

Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, is in South-Western, PA.

Day 298

Thu., Jan 22nd: WHP-TV: http://www.local21news.com/template...205e1f-www.local21news.com.shtml#.VMI5qmd0yHp

Your One-Click Source* Of Lower Court:

ChargeS --- No Bail --- Pre-Trial Confinement --- MotionS ---

Scheduled Court DateS --- Advancement to Upper Court

*Lower Court Criminal Docket Sheet*:

*https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/docketsheets/MDJReport.ashx?docketNumber=MJ-05003-CR-0003257-2014*

18 § 2501 §§ A (H1) :: Criminal Homicide

18 § 901 §§ A (F1) :: Criminal Attempt - Criminal Homicide
18 § 2702 §§ A1 (F1) :: Aggravated Assault
18 § 4304 §§ A1 (F3) :: Endangering Welfare of Children :: [Two Counts]

18 § 2705 (M2) :: Recklessly Endangering Another Person
18 § 4910 §§ 1 (M2) :: Tamper With / Fabricate Physical Evidence

Grades of PA Crimes:
H1 = Heinous of 1st Degree; H2
F1 = Felony of 1st Degree; F2; F3
M1 = Misdemeanor of 1st Degree; M2; M3
S = Summary

Historically, Most PA Charges Like These Are Closed-Out in Lower, Magisterial District Court,
then Advanced, with a New Docket Number, to Upper Courts of Common Pleas.

{ A when-issued Upper Court Docket Number should resemble: CP-02-CR-0000____-2015 }

*"Recent Entries made in the Court Filing Offices may not be
immediately reflected on these Docket Sheets..."

Pre-Trial Confinement Without Bail, since 4/2/14.

Laurel Schlemmer, Drowning of 2 Sons, Allegheny County, 1 Apr 2014

Laurel Michelle Schlemmer - W/F/41 - Drowning of Daniel, 6, & Luke, 3

Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, is in South-Western, PA.

Day 453

Your One-Click Source* Of Lower Court:

All ChargeS --- No Bail --- Pre-Trial Confinement --- MotionS ---

Scheduled Court DateS --- Advancement to Upper Court

*Lower Court Criminal Docket Sheet*:

* https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/docketsheets/MDJReport.ashx?docketNumber=MJ-05003-CR-0003257-2014

18 § 2501 §§ A (H1) :: Criminal Homicide

18 § 901 §§ A (F1) :: Criminal Attempt - Criminal Homicide

18 § 2702 §§ A1 (F1) :: Aggravated Assault

18 § 4304 §§ A1 (F3) :: Endangering Welfare of Children :: [Two Counts]

18 § 2705 (M2) :: Recklessly Endangering Another Person

18 § 4910 §§ 1 (M2) :: Tamper With / Fabricate Physical Evidence

Grades of PA Crimes:
H1 = Heinous of 1st Degree; H2
F1 = Felony of 1st Degree; F2; F3
M1 = Misdemeanor of 1st Degree; M2; M3
S = Summary

Historically, Most PA Charges Like These Are Closed-Out in Lower, Magisterial District Court,
then Advanced, with a New Docket Number, to Upper Courts of Common Pleas.

{ A when-issued Upper Court Docket Number should resemble: CP-02-CR-0000____-2015 }

*"Recent Entries made in the Court Filing Offices may not be
immediately reflected on these Docket Sheets..."

Pre-Trial Confinement Without Bail, since 4/2/14.

Our Support to All of Our Innocent Little Ones.

July 2015 - finally found competent. Preliminary hearing.

The preliminary hearing had been rescheduled seven times since April 2014 after a county jail psychiatrist, Dr. Christine Martone, testified that Schlemmer was psychotic, depressed, suicidal and not mentally able to assist her defense attorney.

But Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey Manning on Monday ruled Schlemmer was competent after a new report by Martone seconded more recent findings by a doctor at the mental facility where Schlemmer has been held.

http://m.wtae.com/news/mccandless-mom-accused-of-drowning-sons-finally-ruled-fit-for-trial/34018418

November 2015:

A plea agreement is in the works for a woman awaiting trial on charges she drowned her two young sons in a bathtub last year, her attorney and a prosecutor said Monday...

Defense attorney Michael Machen told Judge Jeffrey Manning that he's awaiting a psychiatric report and expects to receive it by mid- or late December....

http://m.wtae.com/news/deal-in-works-for-mccandless-mom-accused-of-drowning-sons/36617098

July 2016:

Mom accused of drowning sons must be forcibly medicated, judge says

http://www.wtae.com/article/mom-accused-of-drowning-sons-must-be-forcibly-medicated-judge-says/7481172

A judge wants a Pennsylvania woman accused of drowning her two young sons in a bathtub to be forcibly medicated at a state hospital for 60 days.

Allegheny County Judge Jeffrey Manning has ruled Schlemmer mentally incompetent to stand trial because Dr. Christine Martone says Schlemmer continues to suffer from delusions, can't cooperate with her defense attorney and is refusing psychotropic medications.

Manning says that once Schlemmer is properly medicated and competent she's to be returned for trial immediately.

Prosecutor: Mom charged with drowning sons had tried to kill them before
A woman accused of drowning her two young sons in a bathtub had tried to kill the boys before by leaving one in a hot vehicle and by running over both with her van while they were tied up with twine, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

(...)

After walking the eldest boy to a school bus stop, Schlemmer walked back to her house planning how she’d kill his brothers that day because she was “fixated that Daniel and Luke were not normal children” - even though they were - and that she’d be a better mother if the younger boys were “in heaven,” Allegheny County Assistant District Attorney Lisa Pellegrino told the judge in her opening statement.

Prosecution grills husband in wife's drowning trial

"...Ms. Schlemmer, 43, is on trial this week on two counts each of homicide and endangering the welfare of children, as well as one count of tampering with physical evidence. The nonjury trial, before Allegheny County Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey A. Manning, will conclude Friday with psychiatric testimony.

The defense has presented a mental health defense, arguing that Ms. Schlemmer did not have the capacity to form the intent to kill her boys. The judge can find her guilty, not guilty, guilty but mentally ill or not guilty by reason of insanity.

Assistant District Attorney Lisa Pellegrini called Mr. Schlemmer as her own witness but treated him hostilely almost from the outset.

She grilled him extensively about the April 16, 2013, incident in which Ms. Schlemmer ran over her two sons at her parents’ home in Marshall.

“Isn’t it true she told you she tied them up with twine and ran them over repeatedly?” Ms. Pellegrini asked.

“I remember she told me she tied them up, but I don’t remember her saying she ran them over repeatedly,” Mr. Schlemmer answered.

The boys were hospitalized for about four days — Luke with a broken jaw and ankle and liver and pancreatic injuries. Daniel had a broken left pelvis.

“Did you send her to a psychiatrist?” Ms. Pellegrini asked Mr. Schlemmer.

“I thought she needed to get medical treatment,” he answered. “I did not send her to a psychiatrist, no.” ..."

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/n...d-with-drowning-two-sons/stories/201703080180

laurel-schlemmer-victims.jpg

Link: http://murderpedia.org/female.S/images/schlemmer-laurel/laurel-schlemmer-victims.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This inhuman creature is a Casey Anthony type trying to masquerade as Andrea Yates.
IMO she is miserably failing at giving the performance of her lifetime; auditioning for the lead part of one Andrea Yates (w/ the hope that the main auditioner, the judge, buys into her (shoddy) performance.

Yes, she treated the two she killed differently. She has a third older age son who she took safely to the bus stop the morning she killed her other two sons. She even made a statement saying that she knew she had to get the oldest son out of that house and onto the bus because she was planning on killing the other two boys that morning... She believed that the two boys were "not normal" & would be better off in heaven.... Christ, I say that every single day about my insane three year old son (that he's not normal lol) but in a frustrated sense. I would never think of causing any kind of physical pain to him; let alone murder him because he might be a little more high strung/ADD (& much harder to handle).... What the hell did she expect out of those little guys?!? They were 3 & 6 for pity's sake!!! Of course they are going to still be rambunctious as ever & "not normal". That IS normal/common for kids so young; especially boys. I believe she killed them because she couldn't handle them & spared the life of the better behaved oldest son. I also believe she unfairly compared a 3 yr old & 6 yr old to a 9-10 yr old (oldest son) ito behavior & mentality & judged both of those little peanuts as "not normal" because they weren't as restrained/mature as a 9-10 yr old. The only things she is innocent of are: being born soul less, being a loving mom, & having any kind of rational thinking due to that equally as empty (as her heart area) skull of hers.

Psychiatrists say mom understood she was killing kids in tub

"PITTSBURGH (AP) — A Pennsylvania woman tried to be an "ideal Christian, loyal mother" but felt overwhelmed by her husband's desire for more children and his religious stance that they avoid birth control before she drowned their two youngest sons in a bathtub, a psychiatrist testified in her defense Friday.

Dr. Robert Wettstein was the second and final witness called by the defense on Laurel Schlemmer's behalf and his testimony was critical to the case. Defense lawyer Michael Machen has acknowledged the 43-year-old McCandless woman's role in the deaths but is arguing she was mentally ill at the time.

Judge Jeffrey Manning said he would issue a verdict next week...

Wettstein and prosecution witness Dr. Bruce Wright agree that Schlemmer wasn't psychotic — even though she was driven by the false notion that the two boys were autistic and that she could have been a better mother to their older brother, then 7, if the younger boys were "in heaven."

But the psychiatrists disagree about the extent to which Schlemmer's depression and anxiety disorders affected her actions.

Wright has testified that Schlemmer's mental problems diminished her capacity to conform her conduct to the law. But he said Schlemmer "had the capacity to form the specific intent to kill and was fully conscious of it."...

In his testimony Friday, Wettstein said that Schlemmer's ability to form the intent to kill was "significantly impaired" and "substantially diminished." Schlemmer suffered significant dissociation, meaning she lost touch with herself and functioned as though she was disconnected from her body, the defense expert said.

Wettstein said people dissociate every day when they steer their cars on highways while they think about other things, but in Schlemmer's case it was severe.

He said Schlemmer "became concerned that the two boys would never grow up normally," even though a battery of tests she had put them through showed no signs of autism...

Allegheny County Assistant District Attorney Lisa Pellegrini introduced evidence aimed at getting first-degree murder convictions, which would mean Schlemmer would face life in prison for each boy's death.

The judge also could find her guilty of third-degree murder, which carries up to 40 years in prison; guilty but mentally ill; or not guilty."

http://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...erstood-she-was-killing-kids-in-tub/501547991
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back