‘The Wolfpack’

Elley Mae

Reaction score
“The Wolfpack,” making its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival here on Sunday, is one of those truth-is-stranger-than-fiction documentaries that come along on the rare occasion a filmmaker happens to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right moment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/m...rtment-with-seven-children-locked-inside.html

Lending extra resonance to “The Wolfpack,” particularly at Sundance, is one detail in particular. When they were not being home schooled by their mother, the boys — Bhagavan, Govinda, Narayana, Mukunda, Krisna and Jagadesh — and their sister, Visnu, were allowed to watch movies nonstop, on DVDs bought at a discount or borrowed from the library.

Is this the only thread about this family here? Because, wow! What a story!!! Was that dad ever charged? I saw the 20/20 (Dateline?) about it the other day but hadn't heard of it before then and was surprised. I was also disgusted at how little it discussed consequences for the dad and the horrors he perpetrated. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the boys are doing well, but I felt like the show minimized the dad's crimes. And it sounded like many of the boys are still living with the dad in that apartment?!?!?!

I KNOW there are more websleuths out there curious about this case, so come on over to this thread and let's talk!

“The Wolfpack,” making its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival here on Sunday, is one of those truth-is-stranger-than-fiction documentaries that come along on the rare occasion a filmmaker happens to be in exactly the right place at exactly the right moment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/m...rtment-with-seven-children-locked-inside.html

Lending extra resonance to “The Wolfpack,” particularly at Sundance, is one detail in particular. When they were not being home schooled by their mother, the boys — Bhagavan, Govinda, Narayana, Mukunda, Krisna and Jagadesh — and their sister, Visnu, were allowed to watch movies nonstop, on DVDs bought at a discount or borrowed from the library.

From the link:

“We wanted to tell the truth without making too many judgments,” Ms. Moselle said. “Believe me, I could have really gone off on the guy.”
She added: “The thing is, these brothers are some of the most gentle, insightful, curious people I’ve ever met. Something was clearly done right.”

Okay, clearly something was done right, but I'm giving the credit to the boys and maybe the mom, but not the dad! That rubbed me the wrong way.

But there was also this:

Narayana at one point says, “There are some things you just don’t forgive.” Later, he worries about “being so ignorant of the world that I won’t be able to handle it.”

And the article does also state that government agencies had become involved and that the children received some sort of psychiatric treatment at some point. Very vague. I want to know why the dad isn't in prison or a psych ward. IMO

I know I didn't catch what was said abt the father either. It seems like they just dismissed him from the show and maybe the family.
Geez, those boys were something else. They looked good walking around enjoying their freedom...

I've read a bit about this film. It was surprising to me, the way the filmmaker got to make it - she spotted the boys walking down the street and they looked so striking she chased after them and got talking!

It sounded like the film could never have been made without the dad's initial co-operation, and the making of it helped wrest control from him. I'm looking forward to watching it. Hope the children manage to live happy, contented lives after all they've been through.

Article here with professionals' opinions on why nothing was done and what could possibly be done about the dad in future.

Brill says there is a crime in New York called "unlawful imprisonment" but there has to be proof the individual wants to leave and is being held against his or her will. In a case involving parents and children, it would be hard to prove.

http://www.people.com/article/experts-answer-the-wolfpack-questions

I saw this the other night and it was intriguing. I am wondering about the sister, they never show her and don't talk about her at all. I hope she is ok.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back