1069 users online (236 members and 833 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Garth Sangree, 22, Jacksonville, 23 January 2015

Garth Sangree

Jacksonville Beach police searching for missing, endangered man
    JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Fla. The Jacksonville Beach Police Department is searching for a missing 22-year-old man believed to be endangered. Garth Sangree was last seen Friday at 5 p.m., according to a release from JBPD. He told family and friends he was going off by himself on Saturday and his vehicle is in the same place it was on 16th Avenue South and appears not to have been disturbed.

Friends and family tell police they have not heard from Sangree since Saturday. He is described as weighing 190 lbs. and is 6-foot-2.
    - See more at: http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/ne....WnM8BnoG.dpuf
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...sonville-beach

A little more info. He apparently has a lime green and white kayak. He might be off the coast from St. John's River. I do not know if that is in walking distance from his home, but his car has not moved all weekend. Anyone good with maps that can figure out how far the river is from 16th Avenue South in Jacksonville Beach?
    The Coast Guard as well as local LE is involved in the search.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

UNF holds special service for missing kayaker
    Posted: 4:53 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015
    http://www.wokv.com/news/news/local/...kayaker/njzTh/

The University of North Florida is holding a special memorial for 22-year-old Garth Sangree who disappeared while kayaking off Jacksonville beach this past weekend.

His car was found but the Coast Guard was not able to find him or any debris from his kayak.

Doors open at 12:30 on Saturday at the UNF Robinson theater. All are welcome to attend.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to: Jacksonville Baptist Collegiate Ministries, c/o Jacksonville Baptist Association, 2700 University Blvd. S., Jacksonville, FL 32216-2557.

Quote Originally Posted by KateB View Post
    UNF holds special service for missing kayaker
    Posted: 4:53 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, 2015
    http://www.wokv.com/news/news/local/...kayaker/njzTh/
    ???? A memorial? Isn't that too soon?
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

Quote Originally Posted by los2188 View Post
    Garth Sangree

Jacksonville Beach police searching for missing, endangered man
    - See more at: http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/ne....WnM8BnoG.dpuf
    The link mentions that he was supposed to go kayaking but did anyone actually see him with his kayak? If his car was still parked in the same place, how would he get the kayak to the beach? I don't know anything about a kayak but I've never seen one in the ocean. Is that a common thing?

And now they're already having a memorial service for GS? Either we're missing a lot of info or this is just weird.

PJFL is offline What's done in the dark will come to the light.
    The end of 16th Avenue South:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=16th+...lassic&dg=ntvo

Doesn't look like reserved parking (this photo is apparently from July 2013), but is this where his car was found--this close to the beach?

This map shows the approximate distance from Jax Beach to the St. Johns river:

http://goo.gl/maps/9mjxt

Very strange that the kayak was not spotted anywhere. It is supposed to be unsinkable. He reportedly was using it from the fleet of UNF. The last article I read said that he was spotted near Jax Pier on Friday noght, but other reports state that he told people that he was going kayaking on Saturday. I am baffled...
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/father-...eople/30969220
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link! And my websleuth opinions remain exclusive to websleuths. Thank you!

I wonder if they found kayaking gear missing and also if his phone, wallet, and keys were found. Info is so vague. Did he live in dorms or nearby apt? I don't think I'd give up at this point. Was a very large grid that was searched. I assume that the currents and wind speeds were reviewed. "The Florida Times-Union reports the search led by the U.S. Coast Guard covered more than 4,435 square miles and included several agencies.

The search started Sunday afternoon. Sangree was likely on a lime green and white kayak."
    My opinion only, unless referenced or supported by a link! And my websleuth opinions remain exclusive to websleuths. Thank you!

Last edited by Yoda; 01-31-2015 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added link
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

Hi! New member, but a reader for years. Just wanted to chime in as I know all these waters and the area well. I live a bit south of Jax Beach (my sis lived there for years) and our ocean conditions are very similar. Growing up going to the beach for 20 years, living on the beach for the last 20 years and a family of surfers and kayakers, thought I could offer some insight. First, the map where he parked, is just under 1/2 mile from the beach. Very walkable with a kayak for a fit young male. My 15 yr old son has done it. They also have a wheel attachment on some kayaks to pull them. There is no way he would have parked there to go to the river, unless he hitched a ride with someone. I see the ocean each day and know the conditions have been great for the last week (for swimming, not surfing..very small waves). 1-3 ft waves, no rips, etc. To make sure it was the same up there, I checked the surf report from Jax beach pier and it shows the same http://911surfreport.com/2015/01/23/...ort-1friday-7/. They have a live cam from the pier as well. I wonder if it has playback to see if they see him around there? Even if by some odd chance he caught a little wave wrong and was hit in the head and knocked out, the kayak would have ended up beached. With all the search efforts, it seems it would have surely been found. Another thought is that you can drift north or south when having a great time, lose track of where you are, and have a long walk back. I've picked up many a surfer/kayaker to drive them back to their original spot (they will go to road if its a couple miles, to get picked up and they hop in bed of truck). I doubt foul play could have come that way to an older male though.
    If he was seen Friday night there, where was he seen? It is safe by day, but I wouldn't walk the streets or beach alone at night. There are many homeless in the area, and while most are harmless, there have been bad scenes as well. I wish there were more details! I pray you are found safe and sound, Garth!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yes, that is an ocean kayak. You sit on top instead of in..

Welcome Silvery. Thanks for the insight. Very helpful. I wish we knew more. Students at UNF said he would bring water and Granola type bars with him. Do kayakers wear wetsuits?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvery View Post
    Hi! New member, but a reader for years. Just wanted to chime in as I know all these waters and the area well. I live a bit south of Jax Beach (my sis lived there for years) and our ocean conditions are very similar. Growing up going to the beach for 20 years, living on the beach for the last 20 years and a family of surfers and kayakers, thought I could offer some insight. First, the map where he parked, is just under 1/2 mile from the beach. Very walkable with a kayak for a fit young male. My 15 yr old son has done it. They also have a wheel attachment on some kayaks to pull them. There is no way he would have parked there to go to the river, unless he hitched a ride with someone. I see the ocean each day and know the conditions have been great for the last week (for swimming, not surfing..very small waves). 1-3 ft waves, no rips, etc. To make sure it was the same up there, I checked the surf report from Jax beach pier and it shows the same http://911surfreport.com/2015/01/23/...ort-1friday-7/. They have a live cam from the pier as well. I wonder if it has playback to see if they see him around there? Even if by some odd chance he caught a little wave wrong and was hit in the head and knocked out, the kayak would have ended up beached. With all the search efforts, it seems it would have surely been found. Another thought is that you can drift north or south when having a great time, lose track of where you are, and have a long walk back. I've picked up many a surfer/kayaker to drive them back to their original spot (they will go to road if its a couple miles, to get picked up and they hop in bed of truck). I doubt foul play could have come that way to an older male though.
    If he was seen Friday night there, where was he seen? It is safe by day, but I wouldn't walk the streets or beach alone at night. There are many homeless in the area, and while most are harmless, there have been bad scenes as well. I wish there were more details! I pray you are found safe and sound, Garth!
    Welcome Silvery

Northern Colorado Shootings / Incidents Lists & Time Table / Detailed Spreadsheet by Forager:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ew?pli=1#gid=0

Northern Colorado Shootings Case Map:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...o.kzPJOvnNDQio

NoCo / Thread 1 / Possible Serial Shooter has Colorado Drivers on Edge / WHO KILLED JACOBY AND CONNOLE?

Nothing in the local news today.

Thank you for the kind welcomes. I must admit, I'm not sure how to respond to multiple quotes in one post and don't want to take up too much space trying to figure it out About the question of wet suits....yes, kayak riders wear them. No one in my family, or our local Floridians, would go in the water without one right now, as temps have been 57-65. That said, I can drive by our local pier and see tourists in the water swimming with bathing suits on. I have no idea what his cold tolerance is. I saw his Dad came from TN to look and other family came from South Florida. I did see speculations about the great white shark Katherine. I follow her as a member on the site that tracks her. She was, indeed, in the area on that Sat. but further south in Ponte Vedra is where she was closest to shore, which is still far out. She was in the dark water. That changes, but the light water does go out far. For example, this past summer husband and son were kayak fishing for tarpon. Son hooked one and it took him a mile+ out. At that time, it was light water, easily. Husband followed and then hooked his kayak to his and paddled other kayak, 125 lb son & 80 lb tarpon back. He is 55. So even if he did go far out, as a fit young man he could have paddled back in. Where Katherine was, if he had gone too far out and somehow, unlikely, been knocked over by her, she wouldn't have eaten the kayak and with the search span the kayak would have been found. Baffling, really. I'm saddened they had a memorial for him. I talked to my 21 yr old niece who lives there and she had no idea that any of this was going on. I'm going to keep looking into this. Doesn't feel right. I wish we had more info. And FYI, though I've never encountered a great white, I've been bumped by sharks, & my son was bit on the foot by one, puncture wounds. They don't want to eat us, and once they discover that we aren't the meal they were looking for they leave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast